Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh Damon's THE absolute worst. He pretty much raped Caroline back in season 1, he killed Elena's brother in season 2, not knowing if he'd come back to life, he's tried a couple times to kill Bonnie and has threatened to kill Matt on numerous occasions, and when Elena was sired to him he pretty much took full advantage over the fact that she had no self control when it came to what he asked her to do. Oh and in season 5 he killed one of her friends because Elena(Katherine in her body) broke up with him. So yeah Damon I would say is far worse than Eric!

And true, like I said what Eric did was pretty horrendous, but I can't really match up his faults with Damon's, at least the ones we've seen on screen. Now the the things he's done in the past is another story's oh and btw, I thoughtLafyette used the bones of the homophobe he was shackled up with to escape. I never got the feeling they were long time acquaintances since that guy tried to ridicule him in Merlotte's for being gay.
"When I created Buffy, I wanted to create a female icon, but I also wanted to be very careful to surround her with men that not only have no problem with the idea of a female leader, but were in fact engaged and even attracted to the idea." - Joss Whedon
Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Elite Fan

Okay, when I do a TVD marathon, I'll watch out for all of that. I don't know about him trying to kill Bonnie though. It seems like it would be more about how she became a powerful vampire-hating witch and that would make her a threat to him and his kind.

Everyone in Bon Temps knew each other for years since it was a small town. Yeah, he probably wasn't friends with he guy (I definitely have some homophobes in my family and I'm bisexual) but it's still jarring to see someone that has been a constant, be it a friend or that annoying jerk that lives a few blocks away, get dismembered in front of you. Eric (and Bill for that matter) took advantage of Sookie too since they both tricked her into drinking their blood and creating a blood bond which has sexual connotations.

I'd love to see Sarah lecture the guys on The big bang theory. Go all feminist on them.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellielover19 (View Post)
Oh Damon's THE absolute worst. He pretty much raped Caroline back in season 1, he killed Elena's brother in season 2, not knowing if he'd come back to life, he's tried a couple times to kill Bonnie and has threatened to kill Matt on numerous occasions, and when Elena was sired to him he pretty much took full advantage over the fact that she had no self control when it came to what he asked her to do. Oh and in season 5 he killed one of her friends because Elena(Katherine in her body) broke up with him. So yeah Damon I would say is far worse than Eric!

And true, like I said what Eric did was pretty horrendous, but I can't really match up his faults with Damon's, at least the ones we've seen on screen. Now the the things he's done in the past is another story's oh and btw, I thoughtLafyette used the bones of the homophobe he was shackled up with to escape. I never got the feeling they were long time acquaintances since that guy tried to ridicule him in Merlotte's for being gay.
Damon is a monster and I'm really scared they are gonna try and redeem him.

It's too late for me to take it seriously.

I know he has done more than even that.

JP of course just says they are vampires and nothing bad matters.

I quit watching TB after Season 2.

"I think Spike and Buffy are the ultimate pair. "- James Marsters

Old 10-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think honestly his death threats toward Bonnie was once because of how powerful she was, past that it was just to get her to do something for him or to protect Elena. If you're gonna do a TVD marathon binge watch, I suggest you either stop right after the season 3 finale or the season 4 premiere and have that serve as the series finale for you, cause past that it only gets worse. And I agree that in supernatural shows there's only so much you can forgive but Damon is just the worst, and don't get me started on Bill. I'd take Eric Northman any day over Bill Compton. And Jaime Bee, the writers don't know what the word redemption means when it comes to Damon, just manpain and make the audience feel sorry for him, and these so called strong female protagonist who keep falling back into the arms of these crappy men make it worse.

You're right! If anything SMG needs to guess star on these shows and talk some sense into these women. As a whole, buffy, the character was written brilliantly. Elena and Sookie can't hold a candle to her.
"When I created Buffy, I wanted to create a female icon, but I also wanted to be very careful to surround her with men that not only have no problem with the idea of a female leader, but were in fact engaged and even attracted to the idea." - Joss Whedon
Old 10-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Elite Fan

A lot of sci-fi shows (even BtVS), try to whitewash the things the characters do. Oh, it wasn't Joyce's fault that she tried to burn Buffy at the stake, the spirit of the two dead kids told her it'd be a good idea. **** that. If I was seeing ghosts and they told me to brutally murder my only child, I'd tell them being dead had caused them go to around the bend because my daughter is innocent and in enough danger without her own mom trying to hurt her. Or it wasn't Willow's fault she zapped her friends with lightning bolts and started an apocalypse, she was grieving. Yeah, I've lost loved ones but I still wouldn't try to become a mass murderer. There are so many other examples too.

The strong female protagonist falling back with the tortured snarky male. I'm calling it the Chuck & Blair effect.

I don't know how to feel about Bill because the bad things he did to Sookie came in retrospect and quick flashback realizations. It was almost a blink and you'll miss his big bastard reveal (letting her get beat nearly to death, tricking her into drinking his blood, originally getting close to her under false pretenses, etc.) in S3. Sleeping with his sire again I actually understood because the show has shown the sire pull to be really strong and seeing her again must've been really conflicting.

What show needs Sarah putting them in their place the most?

Last edited by wilywiccan; 10-05-2014 at 02:19 PM
Old 10-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

I guess with Buffy there were definitely more liberties taken as far as those situations: possession, magical influence etc. and the Willow situation is kinda gray cause everyone at some point has experienced the feeling of revenge and the argument that the black magic she absorbed had some control over her too, but nonetheless it's inexcusable and at the end of the day, those characters show remorse and at least try to atone for the things they've done to the point that they're forgiven. Damon Salvatore on the other does the same thing over and over, doesn't apologize or show remorse and everyone just forgives him. Or those who give him crap for the things he's done, the character is bashed by the fandom.

Personally SMG needs to talk to/beat the crap out of Elena the most. Sookie may be completely insufferable, but I think to some extent she tries or believes she's doing the right thing, but Elena just gives no **** about anyone else but herself and whoever she's banging, which is a horrible portrayal for girls to look up to and what the media glamorizes today.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

I've always hated when characters cross the line, "atone" and then several episodes later act as if the character that is still holding a grudge is the bad. It's as if because they said sorry or stopped doing the bad thing it somehow makes everything okay and anyone that says differently is just picking on them.

Willow didn't just go after Warren though. It was only revenge with him. The other two guys had nothing to do with Tara's death and didn't even know about it. And the people she zapped with lightning bolts were Buffy & Xander. She tried to kill all of them. Turn Dawn back into The Key. Brought Giles to an inch of his life. Rammed a truck into the car Xander & Buffy were in. Etc. But everyone just lumps it under "she was grieving, she wanted revenge". She wanted to beat down and torture and murder everyone, even the people that trusted and loved her.

Yeah, it's just as bad and in some ways worse when the character won't even make the attempt at an apology or fake redemption. The only one that I gave a free pass with that was Gregory House (mainly because his ******* personality seemed so inherent to who he was that it was literally difficult and exhausting for him to be nice and you knew that he was going to die alone).

Maybe Sarah could comment to the Winchesters that all the females on their show are sex interests or die. Or tell the Big Bang Theory guys that being geeks and the underdogs doesn't give them a right to objectify women. Or tell The Doctor that it's wrong to labels like "the girl who waited" and all the others on someone because of the pressure being a special snowflake chosen one has on a woman.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

You guys are having a good discussion in here.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

I completely agree with you wilywiccan, and yeah willow definitely crossed some lines but idk there are so many different ways to argue her actions. I still think she's a pretty awesome character nonetheless, and Andrew and Jonathan didn't deserve her coming after them and buffy and Xander definitely didn't deserve it, but she was angry, looking for revenge and that blinds people. Again I thought this was just another one of btvs' metaphors for real life situations, how revenge and anger can become pretty overpowering feelings especially when you're not in the right mind, but each's own how you look at the situation.

And wow about everything you said about those other shows. I've barely seen any eps of Big Bang theory and I've personally never liked it 'parlay cause of the hype but now even more after what you just said. And as far as doctor who, I considered getting into it but now.... Idk. There's so many things wrong with the way women are portrayed in television nowadays it's sickening, and it's even worse those are the shows that get the most recognition, but I will admit there are shows that have gotten it right. For example, your avatar Orphan Black is one of THE best shows ever on tv right now, and I love how each characters are handled. Legend of Korra does it right too!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

TBBT is my brother's fave show.

He has wanted SMG to be on there since they had Penny watch Buffy.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

Anyone ever thought about SMG maybe being on Sleepy Hollow? I could definitely see them bringing her as a childhood friend of Abbie's, and i know they're going to delve deeper into her and Jenny's back stories this season. She could "hold the key" or have some information about the weekly monster and she helps them fight it, maybe leave it open for future episodes down the line. What do you guys think?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:42 AM
Elite Fan

I can understand wanting revenge but not when you are brutally torturing your own people. None of her actions were "the path to hell is paved with good intentions" or "the ends justify the means" or "didn't know the side she was on was the bad side". She was fully aware of who she was hurting and enjoyed hurting them despite the fact that most of the people she was hurting did not do anything to her. When it came to Willow zapping lightning bolts at Xander and Buffy and bringing Giles to the point that he was laying on the ground gasping for breath because he was literally dying, etc, that isn't up for interpretation or seeing things from Willow's perspective or even metaphor. Willow was just a flat out homicidal selfish villain. And yet 80% of fans still just saw her as cutesy Wills that needs our support. I can like a villain (so many great ones) but the first step is admitting you are a villain. Even Regina and Rumple on Once upon a time refer to themselves as Evil Queen and Dark Lord. They root for themselves but still recognize that they are the bad guys.

Doctor Who is such an amazing series that its brilliance surpasses the many ways it is problematic. Some shows are more win than fail.

One show that I could not forgive for having a male character I absolutely hated was Eureka. Fargo pissed me off so much I had to quit the series. The writers seemed to love him and have good things happen to him and the characters kept forgiving him for everything and seeing him as just wacky Fargo even though he was a little sociopathic sexist egomaniacal loser. He was like Andrew (BtVS) if he had more confidence and even more government funding.

Penny didn't like Buffy. *shakes head* All she saw was a cute blonde fighting monsters. All of the subtlety, symbolism, metaphor, social commentary, spirituality, sociology, politics, etc, of the series went over her head. But then she did choose to read a Thor graphic novel instead of a Fables graphic novel because she thought Thor was hot.

I need to watch more of Sleepy Hollow to form an opinion on her being on it. When I get ahold of it on DVD I'll binge watch it and come back raving or ranting.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)
TBBT is my brother's fave show.

He has wanted SMG to be on there since they had Penny watch Buffy.
Really?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Elite Fan

People would refer to Penny as a "dumb blonde" but I always thought she was just average and a bit shallow. But then hearing she didn't get Buffy I changed my mind. How the heck did the everything of that show go over her head?

Or should I be asking how did the guys on that show get it but then act the way that they do despite it? If they truly got it then why do they act like the Trio from S6?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Twilighter Tee♥ (View Post)
Really?
Well next to Buffy.

Nia I think Penny only watched a few episodes of Season 1.

I don't think there was anything to go over head that season.