Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Buffy/Willow Friendship App. #7: "And remember, if you hurt her, I will beat you to death with a shovel."

Welcome to the Buffy Summers and Willow Rosenberg friendship Appreciation Thread

W i l l o w & B u f f y

F r i e n d s h i p p e r s.
1. -wait for it-
2. PrettyGirlsMakeGraves
3. Burning Up A Sun
4. BlackWhiteRose
5. straws
6. -Alicia-
7. Charmed Slayer Angel
8. eternalfate
✧ ✧ ✧

[S a r a h & A l y]

“Around the same time as the much-vaunted Sex and the City, Joss Whedon was putting out some equally superior content for the female friendship canon with Buffy Summers and Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Theirs was far less glamorous than Carrie-and the-other-three, what with hellmouths and burgeoning evil behind every door. But peel back the layers of demonic activity and teenage worries and you find a great relationship, one that weathers high school where petty jealousies are the order of the day, a love triangle between the girls and their male friend Xander, a discovery of a new sexuality, love lost and found and lost again tragically and even the death of one protagonist.” (source)

“The best example of an enduring female friendship on Buffy is the relationship between Buffy and Willow, which is set up in the first episode of the series (“Welcome to the Hellmouth”). Although their friendship is certainly stronger in the earlier seasons, it still functions as one of the fundamental and enduring stable relationships of the show. Moreover, Willow best exemplifies the role of “sidekick” in relation to the “hero”, Buffy, even when Xander and Giles (the two other core members of the Scooby Gang) are taken into account. It is Willow who provides Buffy with support, not only through her witchcraft and ever-growing knowledge of the supernatural but also emotionally, often acting as a soundboard for Buffy’s emotions and inner turmoil.

As Sharon Ross points out in her essay “Female Friendship and Heroism in Xena and Buffy, Buffy and Willow rely on each other in order to navigate through life’s challenges and make difficult decisions; they do this through discussion, through the “expression of their emotional knowledge”, and through the validation of the other’s feelings and thoughts (248). In this way they are better able to deal with the adversity and suffering they encounter during the progression of the series: their emotional openness and ability to communicate makes them, as women, better equipped to confront the problems women face in our patriarchal society…” (Faye Murray and Holly Golding)

✧ ✧ ✧

"And remember, if you h u r t her, I will beat you to death with a shovel."

(source)

✧ ✧ ✧

"I n e e d my Willow."

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT! I almost suggested this title so I approve
Old 10-13-2019, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread
Old 10-14-2019, 02:11 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

Love the line in general and the title lmao.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
Love the line in general and the title lmao.
Me too!

Willow was a good wingwoman as for as B/R was concerned
Old 10-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alicia- (View Post)
Me too!

Willow was a good wingwoman as for as B/R was concerned
I actually dislike how Willow pushed Riley on Buffy.

The only reason he lasted with Buffy as long as he did is b/c her friends liked him.

Buffy cared way too much what her friends thought at times.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 10-15-2019, 01:19 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

Willow had many great one liners, and that was one of them.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I actually dislike how Willow pushed Riley on Buffy.
I was trying to be unbiased
Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

She didn't. She helped him out once and they just liked each other, and got together on their own *shrugs* This thread isn't even about Riley anyway.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alicia- (View Post)
I was trying to be unbiased
I know.

I'm not a big friendship fan or even on the list for this thread.

I only liked Buffy's friendships with any of the core Scoobies until Season 3 honestly.

There were some good moments after that but that's basically it to me.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am just not going to comment
Old 10-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moving on

Last edited by -Alicia-; 10-20-2019 at 05:20 PM
Old 10-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I only liked Buffy's friendships with any of the core Scoobies until Season 3 honestly.
I wonder if your opinion would change at all if you re-watched.

A Xena Buffy would've been pretty awesome.

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com
Old 10-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
I wonder if your opinion would change at all if you re-watched.

A Xena Buffy would've been pretty awesome.
I wonder that too.

I'm really on Buffy's side though & it's not like I haven't rewatched the show when in was in syndication. So I feel like I would still feel the same.

I would have loved to see Buffy as Xena one year for Halloween.

Thanks for posting that Alicia.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I love that Halloween episode, so fun and one of my favorite overall episodes. When I recently rewatched the episodes I think the only thing my opinion changed on was really hating Xander in S2 and 3, now being neutral on Angel/Buffy (but seeing even more how DOOMED their relationship was. Angel was right to leave Buffy so she could experience a real relationship cause she has no real future with him or any vampire) liking Giles way more now, and not liking S5 and 7 as much as I used to. Just like S6, I find S5 kind of depressing with Joyce's tumor and death, along with Buffy's. I also can't stand that Spike's overnight icky and toxic obsession with Buffy starts. S7 was just there. After that great ending in Lessons, the rest of the season is just blah to me. At the same time, I did appreciate and see things differently in general now that I'm older. I still think this show was at it's best when they were all in high school the first three seasons, just seemed more fun. I'll always love the hell out of this show though.