Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
OK. Real talk? I laugh because it's better than getting angry. Because when I think about it? I definitely get angry.

I don't think it's "cool" that the comics decided to go on record and said that Angel fell in love with 15-year-old Buffy.

I don't think it's "cool" that Twilight spent all of season 8 tormenting Buffy. I don't it's "cool" that he killed hundreds of Buffy girls. Her slayers.

I don't think it's "cool" that Buffy's response to finding out that he murdered her slayers is to have sex with him. Does that sound like Buffy to you? Does that sound like the Buffy who beat herself up because she was sleeping with a soulless (and neutered) Spike? Does that sound like the Buffy who couldn't bring herself to kill Ben even though Glory would've resurfaced and punished them all--and possibly the world?

I don't dislike BA space-sex because I dislike BA. I am a huge fan of early BA. I think they were magic in seasons 1-2 and helped launch the show.

I'd hate this plot no matter what ship it was.

I hate season 8 because it is character and canon assassination. I hate what this season does to Angel. But I hate what it does to Buffy even more.

I'm sorry, but I will never believe that the Buffy I watched for 7 years on TV would willingly steal Nazi diamonds for money.

I will never believe that the Buffy I watched for 7 years on TV would actually weep while watching Xander and Dawn kiss. And those are only a few examples.

I hate the way season 8 tried to ret-con the entire show because I just find it insulting. People love(d) the show. Worship(ed) the show. And now Joss is going to come in and try to undermine everything that made ATS&BTVS great in the first place? It didn't work in Angel Season 4 and it didn't work here.

I hate the disrespectful way they dealt with the Buffy & Satsu story line. As I said in another thread: I just really found the constant references to Buffy's ~straightness~ really irking me. I don't know how to explain it. It's like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted the ~sexy drama~ of Buffy sleeping with a woman but didn't want their precious hero to be seen as gay. It was like 'Buffy is straight guys! Don't EVER forget Buffy is 100% straight! Hetero all the way! She is just having a homosexual flavored phase!!!!" Maybe I'm being oversensitive, but that's how I felt. Would it have killed them to make her bi. Or to acknowledge that sexuality isn't always a perfectly linear line?

There are so many more things that I hated but I don't see the point in pointing them out.

That's my problem exactly.

I can take pray mantis ladies, neanderthal beer, multiple apocalypses, etc...

But the comics go above and beyond the bar they set for crazy. They destroy the bar. I know that 'comics = no special effects budget' and in some cases, I admit that is fun. However, for the most part I felt that they took it too far. Giant Mecca Robot Dawn, really?! They made their universe and characters unrecognizable. I will never be able to reconcile Buffy season 8 with the show.

And that's my honest review of Buffy Season 8.
Wow that makes Season 8 sound even more horrible!

All that does sound OOC for Buffy.

Dawn/Xander! Yuck! He babysat her!

Buffy wanting Xander after rejecting him Season 1.

That makes no sense at all.

Giant Dawn one of the stupidest things ever written!

Buffy/Satsu was just to get attention but not ever fully happen.

I also hate the idea of Buffy using someone for sex again.

I don't think she would ever do this when she had no romantic feelings for one.

The way Buffy fought her feelings for Spike but still used him.

We know she regretted it. So for her to use Satsu like this is bad just b/c she was lonely.

The theme with Twilight is similar to Jasmine Season 4.

The WB only gave ATS Season 5 if JM came to the show.

That was the stipulation b/c the ratings for Season 4 dropped this much.

Why did Joss write a SL with Buffy/Angel so much like Cordy/Connor?

It got the show almost cancelled b/c of ratings that terrible.

Buffy got effected by the glow during the sex having no freewill along with Angel possessed by Twilight.

I have always seen Cordy/Connor as type of rape. Cordy was possessed by Jasmine.

I do honestly think Bangel in the Comics Season 8 is too.

Besides the having sex to birth a new world was ridic it's self.

I wasn't going to point this out anymore than the no freewill though.

The idea all haters of Bangel were right about Angel falling for Buffy at 15 is gross.

I remember him saying she walked down the steps & he loved her on the show.

That he fell in love with her heart. I think that was stupid for the show to go there again.

It was bad enough the way it was portrayed in Season 2 finale.

It goes with all the Angel always liked them young with or without a soul theory.

Then you think of how Dawn was 15 Season 6.

That makes it even more disgusting to me.

Why Joss?

Spike trying to force himself on Buffy is the only time any kind of rape is made a big deal when he didn't rape her.

Spike was horrified & fought in trials that could have killed him to win his soul back.

Joss really has a consent problem in his writing on shows & Comics.

The Twilight Prophecy seemed to come out no where too.

Maybe Joss was on drugs. I'm sure fans have thought this.

Plus critics hated it too.

Buffy Comics Season 8

Spike♥Buffy

" The only person I can even stand to be around is a neutered vampire that cheats at kitten poker."

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Have you read any of Season 9 yet?

DP

Buffy Comics Season 10

Everybody aren't happy having to work together.

The faces of all of them.

Spangel almost coming to blows at end.

Spike♥Buffy

" The only person I can even stand to be around is a neutered vampire that cheats at kitten poker."

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 11-11-2017 at 02:42 PM
Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Passionate Fan

Great thought provoking post, Jaime.

Quote:
Buffy wanting Xander after rejecting him Season 1.

That makes no sense at all.
I know the image of Buffy crying over Xander was done as an homage to another comic series but it rubbed me the wrong way. It's just such a male power fantasy to have Buffy, the Slayer, (who had shown no romantic interest in Xander in 7 years) suddenly falling for him and crying when he turned her down. Just...no.

Quote:
Buffy/Satsu was just to get attention but not ever fully happen.

I also hate the idea of Buffy using someone for sex again.
I agree completely. That was another one of my points but my post got so long it escaped me . I don't think Buffy would use someone for sex ever again after season 6. That is straight character regression for her.

I also don't get how they can have Buffy admit she's attracted to Satsu and tell Satsu that their night together was one of the best of her life and yet try and claim that she's still a precious heterosexual snowflake.

Quote:
The idea all haters of Bangel were right about Angel falling for Buffy at 15 is gross.

I remember him saying she walked down the steps & he loved her on the show.

That he fell in love with her heart. I think that was stupid for the show to go there again.

It was bad enough the way it was portrayed in Season 2 finale.
IA. It was always deeply problematic on the show, but at least you could ~kind of~ see it as a possible "protective love" and more of her inspiring him to fight for something for once in his life/recognizing her strength than him recognizing a fifteen-year-old as his soul mate.

And IA with you that Joss was better off not bringing attention to those aforementioned problematic moments in the show again.

Quote:
Buffy got effected by the glow during the sex having no freewill along with Angel possessed by Twilight.

I have always seen Cordy/Connor as type of rape. Cordy was possessed by Jasmine.

I do honestly think Bangel in the Comics Season 8 is too.
You're right about the glow making the BA sex of dubious consent. That just adds another layer of "ick" to it all.

And, imo, Conner/Cordy was unquestionably rape, on both ends. Cordy's body was being used against her will, and poor Conner was being manipulated by Jasmine into thinking Cordy wanted him (and therefore could not consent because he was not sleeping with the person he thought he was) and it was just utterly, utterly upsetting no matter how you look at it. *shudders*

Quote:
Then you think of how Dawn was 15 Season 6.

That makes it even more disgusting to me.
Okay, let's do the math.

Season 6: 15
Season 7: 16

Season 8 takes place a year after S7, making Dawn conveniently a fresh, legal 18 for Xander. I'm sorry, legal or not, a 24-year-old MAN should not be dating an 18 year old. Especially one he used to babysit. (Child grooming, anyone?!) IDK, the whole thing raises red flags.

Quote:
Joss really has a consent problem in his writing on shows & Comics.
Sadly, it really seems that way.

Quote:
Plus critics hated it too.
Thank god. Can you imagine if it'd received rave reviews? He never would've been forced to confront his own mistakes.

Quote:
Have you read any of Season 9 yet?
Not yet. I haven't had the time.

Quote:
Spangel almost coming to blows at end.
I love that Spike answers Angel's calls with "Hey wanker!"

icon: dailybuffy

Last edited by straws; 11-11-2017 at 03:48 PM
straws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Hey Wanker is one of Spike's best lines ever!

Buffy fantasy of kissing Spike at the end of Season 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
Great thought provoking post, Jaime.

I know the image of Buffy crying over Xander was done as an homage to another comic series but it rubbed me the wrong way. It's just such a male power fantasy to have Buffy, the Slayer, (who had shown no romantic interest in Xander in 7 years) suddenly falling for him and crying when he turned her down. Just...no.

I agree completely. That was another one of my points but my post got so long it escaped me . I don't think Buffy would use someone for sex ever again after season 6. That is straight character regression for her.

I also don't get how they can have Buffy admit she's attracted to Satsu and tell Satsu that their night together was one of the best of her life and yet try and claim that she's still a precious heterosexual snowflake.

IA. It was always deeply problematic on the show, but at least you could ~kind of~ see it as a possible "protective love" and more of her inspiring him to fight for something for once in his life/recognizing her strength than him recognizing a fifteen-year-old as his soul mate.

And IA with you that Joss was better off not bringing attention to those aforementioned problematic moments in the show again.

You're right about the glow making the BA sex of dubious consent. That just adds another layer of "ick" to it all.

And, imo, Conner/Cordy was unquestionably rape, on both ends. Cordy's body was being used against her will, and poor Conner was being manipulated by Jasmine into thinking Cordy wanted him (and therefore could not consent because he was not sleeping with the person he thought he was) and it was just utterly, utterly upsetting no matter how you look at it. *shudders*

Okay, let's do the math.

Season 6: 15
Season 7: 16

Season 8 takes place a year after S7, making Dawn conveniently a fresh, legal 18 for Xander. I'm sorry, legal or not, a 24-year-old MAN should not be dating an 18 year old. Especially one he used to babysit. (Child grooming, anyone?!) IDK, the whole thing raises red flags.

Sadly, it really seems that way.

Thank god. Can you imagine if it'd received rave reviews? He never would've been forced to confront his own mistakes.

Not yet. I haven't had the time.

I love that Spike answers Angel's calls with "Hey wanker!"
Thanks. Both of your posts are too.

Well also the thing Angel is possessed by Twilight so like how Cordy was possessed by Jasmine it's really the same.

Even though we know Angel loves Buffy can't change that the act in general was being controlled by something else like with Buffy.

Both are rape!

I can't understand why Joss can't see this or how dumb trying to retcon everything about the shows for this idiotic gross & disturbing plot that almost got ATS cancelled b/c the similarities.

Buffy was never attracted to Xander at all. She said he was like one of the girls in Season 1.

None of that Buffy/Satsu honestly makes sense either.

You will find another topic in Season 9 with Buffy that in the end won't fully go there.

I've always even as a casual viewer hated the way the show showed Angel watching Buffy at 15 & thought the wanting to protect her heart thing was lame.

Dawn/Xander are just gross to me mostly b/c he babysat her not the age diff. as much later.

18 & 24 isn't that much.

Like if 2 people had met & the guy hadn't taken care of her as a child.

Spike♥Buffy

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 11-11-2017 at 05:04 PM
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Aniston

Spangel are the best couple ever

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion about the comic books. So I suggest we move on. Deal?

Last edited by BlackWhiteRose; 11-12-2017 at 06:08 AM
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Not from Joss! He doesn't own the rights sadly to Buffy the char. in general only to the char. on the show. So Buffy is the only char. that is even used.

This looks so stupid.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer to become middle-grade book series | EW.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRose (View Post)
Spangel are the best couple ever

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion about the comic books. So I suggest we move on. Deal?
Yeah lets move on b/c I hate even thinking about Season 8 anyway.

Season 9 is slightly better but still has something ridic for Buffy's char. in general.

Well anything at that point could be better than Season 8 everything though.

There are still other dumb things.

I wish Joss would have apologized for Season 9 too honestly.

I can never even as a Spuffy shipper even see the buildup story to them finding each other again Canon to the show.

Why couldn't it have been Buffy's nightmare both seasons?

Not that I would see the Comics ever as Canon!

Season 10 Critics have said actually felt like BTVS the show again though.

The plot actually made some sense finally.

It wasn't perfect but Season 11 has been considered even better by critics.

Spike♥Buffy

Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Aniston

Yeah Joss didn`t write it all. He has a writing team that´s right (I checked wikipedia for that)
But I would say Joss is the one who says what happens to the characters like he did on the tv show.

Anyway: I only browsed through one Buffy comic book at the store but man those books are not cheap.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Yeah Joss didn`t write it all. He has a writing team that´s right (I checked wikipedia for that)
But I would say Joss is the one who says what happens to the characters like he did on the tv show.

Anyway: I only browsed through one Buffy comic book at the store but man those books are not cheap.
I agree
Old 11-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Aniston

Does anyone know if they wanna stop after Season 11 or do they keep going after that?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Does anyone know if they wanna stop after Season 11 or do they keep going after that?
I am not sure.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Aniston

It´s okay. We`ll wait and see.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:48 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah that is True
Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Aniston

How do you like the drawings in the comic books? Do you think the characters all look very similar to the ones on the show?
I think the comic version of someone looks always a little different.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

I think by the end of the year at least they would announce about a Season 12 of Buffy Comics.

I think it differs with who draws them. I have thought a lot of them of Season 10 & 11 looked pretty good.

Spike♥Buffy

Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)
I think by the end of the year at least they would announce about a Season 12 of Buffy Comics.

I think it differs with who draws them. I have thought a lot of them of Season 10 & 11 looked pretty good.
How many seasons do you think they can go up to?
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top