Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Loyal Fan

How do you pronounce Katie's last name?

Mods, please close this thread when I get my answer, thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

How do you pronounce her last name? - Heigl

Thanks to anyone who replied to my question.

Stephan
Old 12-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

im pretty sure it's like Hi-gel (like gal with an 'e') No, its more like Hi-gul. As in sea-gull... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] wierd way of explaining it but its all i can come up with

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited Angel_Demoness ]

-Audrey Hepburn
Old 12-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Banned

I've always heard Heigl pronounced Hi-gel, with the "Hi" being pronouned the same as the words "eye" or "skye" or "bye", and the "gel" part pronounced with a hard g, as in "gal" or "good", with the middle vowel like the backwards e one sees in phonoetc pronunciations in dictionaries... the unspecific vowel, for lack of a better word. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ... Also, the emphasis is on the "Hi" part, as in HI-gel.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Saf [img]smilies/silver_hand.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2003, 04:40 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't know for sure, since I have never heard anyone pronounce her name, but I've always pronounced it Heagle, like "eagle" the animal, just with an H before. But what do I know, it might as well be "Hi gal !" but with a schwa (that's the name of the phonetics e) instead of the a.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Hey everyone [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] This is an issue which has intrigued me for long, long time [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I think it depends who & where it is pronounced, b/c in the US it always seems to be prounounced "High-Gull" but in the UK, I've heard it being prounced "Hee-Gill"...

Though I'm pretty sure that the correct way is the "High-Gull" way... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Loyal Fan

I have always pronounced it like

He Gil
Old 12-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Master Fan

I've always heard it as High-Gull, too. It is probably how it's pronounced.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
Old 12-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Banned

Well, I'm pretty sure the pronunciation is as I said above, but someone whose native language is German should confirm it one way or the other. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Saf [img]smilies/silver_hand.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Fan

I pronounce it like: Higll
Old 12-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Addicted Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] as in... jiggle that wiggle Higgle ? [img]smilies/spank.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Master Fan

It is pronounces "Hi-gul". I remember it from something I read or saw with her. She said that she has heard it all but that it the right way of pronouncing it.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Addicted Fan

for the record (and to confuse things even further [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] )...

Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 15, 2000
Doubtful at first, Heigl now a believer in 'Roswell'

...Then she was persuaded to read the pilot script for "Roswell," a well-crafted sci-fi love story based on the "Roswell High" series of books by Melinda Metz, about teenage aliens trying to survive in a hostile environment -- Earth.
"I read it hesitantly," Heigl recalled.
But the prospect of a steady income and regular weekly exposure is appealing to most young actors, and Heigl gradually warmed to the idea of playing Isabel Evans, one of three orphaned survivors of a UFO crash in Roswell, N.M.
By the time Heigl (pronounced HIGH-gul) had been put through TV's "torturous" audition process, first in front of producers, then in front of network executives, she was so invested in the project that her snobbery had melted under a tide of intense proprietorship. "At that point," she said, "I really wanted it."...

Also,

Venice Magazine, December 1998

Barely 20 years old and with eight feature films to her name, Katherine Heigl, (pronounced Hi-goal), has been gracing movie screens since she was eleven years old, and unless you’ve been living in a cave for the past few years, you’re sure to recognize her recent work.

Both from katherine-heigl.com

[ 12-27-2003: Message edited *Pink Lady* ]
Old 12-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

I pronounce it like Hi-gl. I hope I´ll hear the right way soon.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Pink Lady*:
<STRONG>Hey everyone [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] This is an issue which has intrigued me for long, long time [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I think it depends who & where it is pronounced, b/c in the US it always seems to be prounounced "High-Gull" but in the UK, I've heard it being prounced "Hee-Gill"...

Though I'm pretty sure that the correct way is the "High-Gull" way... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>

not poking at you or anything hon, just saying, but i come from the UK but i always say Hi-gul too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by prettylittleroswellian:<STRONG>

not poking at you or anything hon, just saying, but i come from the UK but i always say Hi-gul too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I'm from Ireland so I guess we're pretty close [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] , but people over this side of the Atlantic seem to take the hee-gill route [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited *Pink Lady* ]