Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloryisagod.com
Who/What are the Dreamers??

What was their relationship to the series?

And how could an outside group influence the Emilie/Tess role?

-Just curious...

-Gloriana

dreamers-name of fans of the max/liz relationship....as to the second question, your guess is as good as mine...although a small few were just plain crazy...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked Tess as long as she wasn't interfering in Max and Liz's relationship. Being that I am a Dreamer, season two was the least favorite season for me. I think the writers really screwed up and didn't know exactly where they wanted to go with certain plots. It was just a big disaster. Emilie's role included. Tess could've been a useful character instead of the train wreck they made her out to be.

As for Liz, I think she certainly had some flaws. The only person that had her up on a pedestal was Max. After she continually lied to him and pushed him away, I think his perspective of her was a bit tainted, but more than anything else, he was confused. It was then that Tess swooped in and manipulated him. I won't say that Max didn't genuinely care for her, but he was misled big time. I know people tend to blame Max for everything and I always hated that. He wasn't the core reason for most of the crap that went down. Liz should've been more honest and trusted him more. That was a huge mistake on her part. Had Max known a lot of the things that were kept from him, he might've done things a lot differently.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Elite Fan

Well, the only reason I loved the first season was because of Michael/Maria. I thought they were far more interesting than Max/Liz could ever be. Then Blind Date came along and I saw Kyle/Max. Now that's a pairing I could have routed for. The show was plugging along but was doing terrible a the ratings. Face it, having a couple moon over each other does not bring ratings. Which is why they introduced Tess. I have to tell you, I loved the character way before Emilie was cast to play her. Something to shake up the canvas. YES!

The second season was alright except for a few plot holes. The thing I loved was Tess becoming more human and less alien. However, as someone who was married to a guy in her previous life and remembers it, I can imagine it's hard to have him not return the feelings. She may have manipulated him in the beginning, but when they got together, he was not manipulated into anything. The biggest plothole of them all was the fact that they made Tess the bad guy and made her have powers beyond anyone's control. I mean, this was the same girl who said she couldn't hold a mindwarp for more than a few mintues? They suddenly just molded her, out of nowhere, into a character we didn't know so they could satisfy the writers and the fans obsession over Max/Liz.

As for Max, I agree that he was confused. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't stay with Liz at all. He also put her on a pedestal and being with her, I could see him more confused than ever. Liz telling him stuff and then pushing him away did not help matters, nor did it make me sympathize with her when she cries over Max all the time. If I were Max, I would have just left town and spent some time figuring out what I really wanted.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
If I were Max, I would have just left town and spent some time figuring out what I really wanted.
That's what half the show was about though, finding what you really wanted, finding out who you are.

The problem that I had with this show was the lack of creativity. I'll be honest and say I wouldn't be satisfied with Alex having just died in some car accident. He was an integral part of the show and if he was going to be written off he damn well better go out with a bang. That being said, having Tess be the murderer was absurd. Completely out of nowhere. The reason that Tess was written off the show was because Roswell fans dislike her, and I'm assuming that JJ was getting tons of hate mail for breaking up the onetrupairforeva.

Tess could've stayed around and M/L would've found their way back to eachother. Having Tess become evil completely defeated the purpose of the reason why M/L weren't together in the first place, Liz "sleeping" with Kyle. Tess could've been a great part of the cast if given the chance. We had only just begun to know her and then the writers decide she's skitzo and evil. I don't want to make anyone upset, but I do believe that at least half the decision to write off Tess was based on the Dreamers. I don't blame the Dreamers for hating her, I blame JK for letting fans determine how the show ends and who stays on the show. Emilie De Ravin is an actress and a person. To have put her out of a job because someone didn't like her character is ridiculous. I could understand if her character had nothing left do on the show or if she was just standing around doing nothing, but she was new. She had so many other powers to explore and so many other human emotions to feel. Her character could've really developed into something extraordinary.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda-Mira
That's what half the show was about though, finding what you really wanted, finding out who you are.
Well, I kind of disagreed with that. It was pretty clear on what each character wanted.

Max wanted Liz
Liz wanted Max
Michael wanted to find a family and wanted Maria
Maria wanted Michael
Alex wanted to be accepted and Isabel
Isabel wanted to flirt
Kyle wanted Liz back

I mean, the stuff was there in the beginning. Some things changed but the main stuff that they wanted were still there.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I kind of disagreed with that. It was pretty clear on what each character wanted.
I see what you mean but they were also trying to find who they were. The aliens wanted to feel human and loved, but they were conflicted with what they actually felt toward their more alien side.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Elite Fan

Jazz can I just say WORD!!!! Your whole thing about Liz not really knowing who she was even tho everyone said that she did was spot on! And I totally agree, despite Maria's family life and all that she knew who she was more than Liz did.

Maria knew she had flaws, but she didn't try to hide them or repress them like Liz did. I think that's why I don't like Liz that much.

Plus she kept copping out on Maria. I hated her for that. Oh, and her hatred of Tess of course. I really didn't like Liz for that. It was so childish I found. Oh, a new girl's come. That's suspicious. Oh, now she's an alien. I don't like her. Oh, now she wants my boyfriend. I could kill her. Ugh, get a life.

Personally if someone wanted my bf, I'd go and talk to them about it. I'd have a word with them, explain how I felt, let them explain how they felt, and then try to reach some agreement (like, I'll have him Sunday through to Wednesday, she can have him the other days! ). Or something. I wouldn't just immediately jump down the persons throat, especially when they have alien powers.

Tahra

I'M IN A GANG OF OBSESSIVE, WANT-IT-ALL SELFISH, HORNY HUMPIN' BITCHES

icon by me
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 AM
New Fan

Hey for those who dont like Liz, I just started an Unappreciation thread about her at the Roswell board so I'm just pimping the thread.

Mind Warper: Liz did cop out on more than one of the Roswellians, but the only thing that will tick me off is her behaviour after Maria finds out Rath kissed her.

I'm not surprised at Liz's reactions towards Tess, because if someone was apparently destined to be with the guy I loved I doubt I would like them much either. That said I feel like shouting at her in Viva Las Vegas when she's rude to Tess because I feel it was uncalled for. All Tess wanted to do was have some fun. She didn't have to stay with Liz for so long in the arcade but she did.

Quote:

Max wanted Liz
Liz wanted Max
Michael wanted to find a family and wanted Maria
Maria wanted Michael
Alex wanted to be accepted and Isabel
Isabel wanted to flirt
Kyle wanted Liz back
I think most of the characters wants changed through the show, because they were growing up I guess its normal. Max & Liz's didnt really change though. All they seemed to want was each other.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSwirl
That said I feel like shouting at her in Viva Las Vegas when she's rude to Tess because I feel it was uncalled for. All Tess wanted to do was have some fun. She didn't have to stay with Liz for so long in the arcade but she did.
Huh? To me, it seems like Tess is the one who initiated that arguement by saying something like, "Great. Stuck in the party capital of the world with Liz Parker." It's not Liz's fault that she's not big on partying, she's a more conservative person. This also brought another reason why Tess and Liz hated eachother was because their personalities conflicted so much. They just were off on the wrong foot from the start. I think Liz is awesome, though she does bother me sometimes. I think Tess is equally awesome, though she does bother me sometimes as well.

But personally if someone had said that to me, I would've given them a snarky comment just like Liz did.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Warper
Personally if someone wanted my bf, I'd go and talk to them about it. I'd have a word with them, explain how I felt, let them explain how they felt, and then try to reach some agreement (like, I'll have him Sunday through to Wednesday, she can have him the other days! ). Or something. I wouldn't just immediately jump down the persons throat, especially when they have alien powers.

Tahra
Oh my god. That's hysterical! I loved how you said, "like, I'll have him Sunday through to Wednesday..." You go girl!

Hmm... the whole Viva Las Vegas thing. Liz said she didn't want to go to Vegas and yet she went. When she got there, she was kind of pissy with everyone. Tess was pretty much reading her mood which was pissed off at the world.

I agree that I don't like how she copped out on her friends. That one time when Alex wanted to talk about his trip and Liz kept interrupting him to talk about her and Alex got hurt? I felt so bad for him. He's always trying to get their attention and it never worked. No wonder he was the reluctant one of the group.

But it wasn't one of those things that they just flawed Liz with. I mean, it happened so many times with both Maria and Alex. It wasn't like, "Oh, let's give Liz this flaw for this episode" like to do with Tess. It was very consistent. Just like the repression. It was very consistent throughout the three seasons.

I agree about Maria. She was flawed but never tried to hide those flaws at all. Which is why I liked her.

I admit that I was a Dreamer when I first started watching Roswell but by the time Blind Date came around, I was so incredibly bored. Nothing was shaking this couple up except for the fact that he was an alien. When Sexual Healing finally came about, I downright hated the couple.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda-Mira
I think Liz is awesome, though she does bother me sometimes. I think Tess is equally awesome, though she does bother me sometimes as well.

But personally if someone had said that to me, I would've given them a snarky comment just like Liz did.
I would probably ignored it. I liked Liz sometimes, but I liked Tess much more.

Jazz: I wasn't a dreamer when I started watching Roswell I liked them but I didnt really ship anything until later in the season when there started to be a lot of M/M scenes. So I was a Candy. Still am I guess, but Tess relationships interest me more now that the show is over.

About Maria I agree with you. She behaved strangely on occasion but she was who she was. I feel bad for Alex too he was stepped on or ignored a lot by Isabel and Liz.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Elite Fan

I was a Dreamer to begin with (when I had no idea there was this whole world out there that called each couple by a different name! ), but like you Jazz by the time Blind Date rolled around I was getting bored with them.

I think that's why I became a Candy. Because unlike Dreamer who wanted to get together but "couldn't" Michael and Maria were really reluctant, but you knew that they were supposed to get together and all you could do was scream at them to get it on!

Oh, and Jazz, thanks! I thought some would crack up at that, which is why I wrote it! Just doing my bit to throw a little light into someones world!

Yea, I probably would have been snarky as well about Tess's snide comment, but at the same time I can totally understand why Tess made it. After all who really wants to be stuck with someone who only wants to play pinball when you've got these totally awesome powers that let you do anything you want and get into any bar you want?? Hello? You're in Vegas. With hot aliens. Who have awesome powers. And tons of money. That you HAVE to spend. Take advantage, let your hair down, have fun!!!

And that's the kind of advice my column gives out every day. So, if you're looking for an excuse to have fun, please call me now. Calls cost $55.55 USD per minute. Please come again.

Anyways.... I think maybe if they'd gone for the original plot for that ep they would have done a much better job.

I was watching the S2 extra's, and they had this whole storyline set up where Liz and Tess do a Freaky Friday body swap and learn more about each other. I think if they'd done that, then maybe Liz would have had a little more compassion for Tess, and maybe Tess would have fully dropped the whole Destiny idea, and actually hooked up with Kyle fully.

Then maybe we wouldn't have had the whole Tess/Max baby thing, Kyle/Tess/Prom thing, Tess/Killing/Alex thing. The show may have taken on a whole new image, maybe it would have been better, maybe it wouldn't have. Who knows. It would have been different. And I think that's what we're really all moaning about, that it wasn't different.

I know for myself I've tried to delude myself into believing that everything from the prom ep afterwards never happened. I've come up with soo many theories about it. One, I'm in Egypt living by DeNile and the whole thing was just a bad dream. Two, that Ava and Tess switched in Vegas, so it was Ava who did everything. And I've got more.

But really I'm just trying to convince myself of something that should never have happened, that did. It's not reality, it's a tv show.

Try convincing me of that!

Tahra

I'M IN A GANG OF OBSESSIVE, WANT-IT-ALL SELFISH, HORNY HUMPIN' BITCHES

icon by me
Old 06-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

$55.55 USD a minute, eh?

You know, I never heard about the Freaky Friday thing they had planned and I wished they had done it. I think it would have given both of them a change to learn things about each other. I mean, in alot of ways, they never really knew each other. Tess came into the picture but her eyes were focused on the three aliens. Liz was more focused on the fact that Tess was an enemy. So they never really talked all that much except for the last episode Tess appeared where Liz said, "You're doing a good thing" and Tess said something like, "It's the right thing". Almost as if they had an understanding. However, I had wished they had talked before she went off.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 06-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was a Dreamer from S1 to S3, and I'll admit I was one of the "Tess Haters". I still liked Emilie, though. I didn't know she had an accent until LOST!! I warmed up to her when she moved in w/Kyle and made the house a home again. She brought out the fatherly-quality in the sheriff that I STILL miss!

I realize that Liz lied to Max repeatedly, but she did it because HE came back from the future in TEOTW and told her to lie to him! She did it because she thought it was doing the right thing, and she hated it. That being said, the fact that she did it to get him and Tess together, and then got peeved because he got with her was a little lame...but she was in love with him still, and it had to have sucked to find out he went running to Tess and slept with her, then knocked her up. She couldn't control the jealousy, because it wasn't her choice at all to lie to Max and get him and Tess together.
I got REAL tired of the way Max kept putting Liz on the backburner to 'find his son'.....and then the second his son landed on his doorstep, he put him up for adoption!!

I agree that sloppy writing was to blame for Emilie's dismissal. I thought the Alex-thing was a great plot, but they didn't have to get rid of her forever. She could have continued with her Ava role, and still been a regular...and been NICE. That was incredibly stupid on their part.....but you know what? Emilie has the best gig right now of all of them....a HIT Television Show. So she won in the end.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Master Fan

reading this thread made me realize how much of the show i have forgotten...lol good times....