Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mind Warper

And forgive me for my ignorance, but why are army kids called "Army Brats"?? Coz I don't know what it means in your end of the world, but over here brat is not exactly a nice term, you know?

well over here brat isn't that friendly either but for as long as i've been alive "army brat" is the "nickname" associated with kids in the military (in this case kids whose folks are in the army)...i've always taken it as an affectionante endearment for kids who move around thanks to uncle sam...

i love imitating accents, i can do the upper crust english and and a halfway decent scottish accent...my irish one is really weak and i can't get the australian accent down very well...my pitch is off...but i think they're fun...

btw thank you for the 'kiwi' explanation...for the longest time i kept thinking it had something to do with the kiwi fruit lol...
Old 09-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Elite Fan

Kiwi fruit indeed! Nah... It's just a term of endearment for us.

Okay... My mum just laughed when I told her what you'd said about the whole Army Brat thing. I still don't get it, it's kinda mean, but oh well.

And whats with the "Uncle Sam" thing? Whos he? And why is he so important?

I can do English, Scottish, Irish and semi Aussie... Plus Maori, and Polynesian accents. Not done too badly either, if I do say so myself. Oh and I can do a slight French accent, compliments of taking French for two years.

Tahra

I'M IN A GANG OF OBSESSIVE, WANT-IT-ALL SELFISH, HORNY HUMPIN' BITCHES

icon by me
Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

well army brat is a term of endearment so it's not offensive but uncle sam is the nickname in the states for the government...way back in the 40's during ww 2 there were posters military recruiters used that had the slogan "uncle sam wants you" so it just a slang term if you will...that's the best i can describe it....i'm pretty sure i'm missing something in regards to the explanation....

another accent i love is the southern accent of the u.s., there are so many variations but i love the creole/cajun ones from louisiana and the other southern accents from georgia and texas...

Last edited by meretwins; 09-09-2004 at 10:35 PM
Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Elite Fan

Yea... U gotta love some of those American Accents...

If you're reading this can you check you PM now, please... It's kinda urgent... Thanks.

Tahra

icon by me
Old 09-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Master Fan

tahra check you pm's ...btw have you ever seen the movie called 'the price of milk'? i rented it a couple of weeks ago just 'cause i like karl urban...odd movie...
Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Elite Fan

No... Never even heard of it... What's it about?

Replied.

Tahra

icon by me
Old 09-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
No... Never even heard of it... What's it about?

well from what i remember it's about a guy who runs a farm milking cows and his girlfriend test him to see if he truly loves her...she sells his cows to see if his love is true (what a dumbass)...mayhem ensues and love conquers all, if you will lol...it was just odd...it came out in '99 and it's been recently distributed here in the states...
Old 09-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Elite Fan

Sounds like on of those movie's that are absolutely pointless... I love those movies. Kinda like Empire Records, and the Jay and Silent Bob series.

Tahra

icon by me
Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Master Fan

it was definitely a pointless movie ...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Elite Fan

You gotta luv them tho.

Tahra

icon by me
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
You gotta luv them tho.

Tahra

either love 'em or just fast forward through 'em...it seems to be working fine so far ...
Old 09-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Elite Fan

Was the movie that pointless??

Have you ever seen Super Troupers? Now that's one pointless movie! The first time I saw it I thought it was boring, but that's because I was with my parents and trying to act all nochalant about it....

I've seen bits of it now, and it's kinda funny.

But I prefer the old pointless random movies - Dazed and Confused, Empire Records, Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy....

They have great actors and actress which all seem to pop in the same movies... I just love that generation... 1993-5... I was still a kid.

Tahra

icon by me
Old 10-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Master Fan

i've seen parts of 'super troopers' but lost interest quickly...but i've thouroughly enjoyed 'mallrats' and 'clerks'...they are timeless classics ....
Old 10-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Elite Fan

Oh definately. That whole series is a classic. Altho, I totally prefered Mallrats to Chasing Amy or Clerks.

Clerks was a little too doco style for me, altho I don't mind watching it a couple of times, and Chasing Amy just seemed a little too pointless and aimless for me.

I actually went out and bought Mallrats on DVD even tho I don't have a DVD player. Stupid huh?

The one I really want to get tho is Empire Records and Dazed and Confused... I just adore Rory Crochane. Mmmmmm... Yummy.

Watched a weird one last night. Dungeons and Dragons. Never played the game, but my flatmate told me that compared to the game, the movie totally blew.

I also watched Whale Rider for the first time, at about 5am. Funny... I'm a Kiwi, but I'd never seen it before. I'm always wary of New Zealand films.

The majority have that "Made-for-TV" feel about them, even if they weren't. Kinda like Bootmen, or The Castle, if you've ever seen those. Actings kinda second rate... Altho I loved Bootmen.

Rambling. Always Rambling.

Tahra

icon by me
Old 10-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Master Fan

i haven't seen 'whale rider' but i have heard good things about it...did you like it? since you said you have a general reluctance for kiwi cinema, has it improved since the last time you saw it?....