both (c) Gord Lacey
Old 08-19-2005, 05:54 AM
Dedicated Fan

(c) Gord Lacey
Old 08-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Dedicated Fan

(c) George F. Lee

An article which belongs to the pic above:

Lost" cast members Emilie de Ravin, left, and Evangeline Lilly gave interviews and posed for photographers last night at the show's DVD release party at Turtle Bay Resort.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guests get lost in
ambiance at ‘Lost’
DVD release party
By Tim Ryan
tryan@starbulletin.com
In a North Shore banyan forest familiar to viewers of the TV hit "Lost," the show's producers entertained about 250 guests last night to celebrate the release of the series' first-season DVD.

Guests walked 400 feet along a dirt trail leading into the forest and lined with dozens of tiki torches to the red carpet where media waited for "Lost" cast members. The party's theme borrowed heavily from the show's plot line -- complete with monstrous sounds emanating from the forest.

"I didn't like hearing the monster sounds when we did the pilot a year ago and tonight they still scared me," said Evangeline Lilly, who plays Kate. "Knowing our producers, they probably do have some caged creatures hidden out there."

The first-season DVD, to be released Sept. 6, will include new flashbacks of the characters and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the show about jet crash survivors who find themselves on a mysterious island.

The show has been the biggest hit for an Oahu-filmed series since "Magnum, P.I." in the 1980s.

To celebrate the show's success, producer ABC/Touchstone held one of its biggest DVD release parties ever a mile south of the posh Turtle Bay Resort. About 75 media and studio executives spent two weeks organizing the event. Guests included many ABC/Touchstone and Disney studio executives and "Lost" cast members.

The Turtle Bay Resort also hosted Monday night's "Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch" DVD release party.

But that was child's play compared to last night's adult-themed gathering in which designer Dan Kough recreated a fantasyland of various dark and frightening "Lost" episodes. The eerie banyan forest has been used by the "Lost" production several times as the survivors retreat from unseen, marauding monsters.

A replica of another major set piece -- the plane's fuselage -- was also part of the party. The fuselage, which took four weeks to construct, was the backdrop for the stage where local cover band Slug played.

Each guest received an "Oceanic Airlines" plane ticket with their listed "departure time" and seat number from the Turtle Bay Resort's lobby. Four "flight attendants" helped board passengers on trams and chatted about possible "crashing" and "burning to death" for the 10-minute ride to the banyan forest.

Hanging in the enormous banyan trees were helium-filled balloons 6 feet in diameter, with interior lights and slowly revolving "Lost" logos.

"It feels like another planet," said Jorge Garcia, who plays the affable Hurley. "It looks like we have six moons up there."

//from: http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/17/news/story3.html //
Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

both (C) TheHawaiiChannel.com
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for all the pics Juliena
Old 08-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Passionate Fan

She looks awesome!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Master Fan

->Emilie's Audition Tape for LOST

Old 08-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks for that. Her part of the clip was so short. Ugh they really want you to get the DVD.

I like how she didn't overact in the one line she said.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nice pics. Her and Terry look adorable. I can't wait for this DVD.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse
Ugh they really want you to get the DVD.
They are really pimping those extras all over the internet. It worked on me - I pre-ordered two days ago.

ETA: Just came across this...

Dizzyhobbit was at the DVD Launch Party in Hawaii and posted a really cute report in her LJ with lots of pictures:

Part 1

Part 2
Old 08-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Obsessed Fan

That IMDB feature did wonders... Emilie's star ranking shot up to #8 celebrity on IMDB overall.

I lurked the Aussie thread and saw that *OvErPrOtEcTeD* posted scans of a new Emilie article.

Here's the article on the news sites. It looks basically the same as that UK one a few weeks back but with extra Aussie stuff added. Heh.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks for the link, Val. the pics they used are some of my favs.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Elite Fan

I was reading on someone's LJ about the DVD Launch party and she mentioned how Maggie and Emilie were conversing with one another. I thought that's cute. I know, I know. I'm a dork, but I love it when we hear about the friendships between the cast.

Link to the Fan's LJ

And can I just say, I love this picture

And I refuse to watch any audition tapes because I want to be suprised when I buy the DVD. *squee* But she looks so cute in those caps. So laid back and cute.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Another article from News.com.au

*edited* Just realised that the article below is pretty much or if not the same article that Kat posted for us other at Emilie's Aussie Thread

Quote:

Lost and Found
August 22, 2005

Find ... Emilie de Ravin / Reuters IT isn't hard to pick out Emilie de Ravin when she walks into the West Hollywood cafe in which we have arranged to meet.

In a city that is filled with beautiful, blonde models and actresses, de Ravin still stands out. Not just because her baby-soft, platinum hair is that rare thing in Los Angeles - natural - but also because she carries herself with the perfect grace of a classically trained ballerina.
The tiny (she's 1.57m), 23-year-old Australian, who has become one of America's most sought-after actresses thanks to her role as Claire Littleton in the successful TV series Lost (the last episode of the first series screens on the Seven Network, this Thursday at 8.30pm), is, she confides, a little bemused by her success.

"It happened incredibly quickly," she says. "I did the American TV show BeastMaster that was shot on the Gold Coast and from that I got a call to audition for the US prime-time teen soap Roswell. So I came out here, was cast and started within a month. I haven't stopped working since. I don't think I could have come to LA and just hung out hoping to find a job. I miss my family a lot, and having the distraction of going to work every day stops me from feeling too homesick."

After Roswell and a leading role in the remake of Stephen King's Carrie came the offer of a part in Lost. "There were just three months from the time that they had the idea for the series to the time we started shooting. It was very unusual as there was no script when I was cast. I was just sent a tape and the next thing I knew I was flying to Hawaii, where the series is shot. The cast and crew are fantastic. We're all different in so many ways - different ages, different races - and we are really good friends."

At the time of this interview, there's a three-month break before shooting starts for the keenly awaited second series of the drama (which as we all know, unless you've been stranded on a desert island yourself, charts the adventures of a group of plane-crash survivors marooned on a mysterious desert island). It's a welcome pause in a mad schedule for de Ravin, whose character, Claire, has just given birth (the 24 episodes of series one cover the first 40 days after the crash).

Advertisement:
The break in shooting is giving de Ravin some much-needed quality time with her fiance, Josh Janowicz, at home in the house they have bought together in LA. The couple (Janowicz, also 23, is an American actor-writer and would-be director) met soon after de Ravin arrived in LA and were engaged on New Year's Day this year when they were staying with her parents in Melbourne.
"It was very romantic. Josh had planned it all - he'd even bought the ring," de Ravin says, pausing to hold out her hand. "I am very excited, but I think the wedding will have to be impromptu because it is almost impossible to get all our families together in one place."

Returning home last Christmas also gave de Ravin the chance to go shopping in her beloved Melbourne ("I don't shop much in LA, I prefer Melbourne," she says) in relative anonymity. But that's unlikely to be the case on her next visit home, if her experiences in LA, where, post-Lost, she's recognised everywhere, are anything to go by.

De Ravin grew up in Mount Eliza, on the Mornington Peninsula, moving to inner-city South Melbourne when she was a teenager. She's the youngest of three daughters of parents she adores but will not talk about because she is "frightened of exposing them in a way they might not like". Her sisters are 16 and 17 years her senior and she became an aunt, a role she loves, when she was 12 years old (she now has four nephews and one niece). Her family are proud of her, but a bit shell-shocked by her success - she is the first de Ravin to pursue a career in entertainment.

She started studying ballet at nine, and at 15 was accepted into the prestigious Australian Ballet School. It was later, while dancing for The Australian Ballet Company, that she made the decision to become an actress.

"(Becoming a prima ballerina requires) a lot of work," de Ravin says. "It's your whole life really. So when I began to realise that I didn't know if dancing was everything I hoped it would be, when I started asking, 'Will all this really be my whole career?' and I wasn't quite sure what the answer was, I guess I started thinking about other things I'd like to do for the first time.

"I knew I liked performing and thinking about different roles so I thought I might just look into the acting side. I reasoned that if it didn't work out I was young enough to go back to dance," she says.

Wanting to become and actually becoming an actress are two very different things, but de Ravin's change of career seems to have been achieved very easily. "NIDA tours Australia once a year to do weekly workshops, so I did one when they came to Melbourne," she remembers breezily.

After that, she landed the role of Curupira, the guardian of forest animals, in the aforementioned BeastMaster, a series made for the US Sci Fi channel. "It was fantastic. I was running around the jungle in this elf outfit. I thought, 'You know, this is fun.'" From that came the call to audition for Roswell - her guest role as dastardly alien Tess Harding was soon expanded to a series regular - and the move to LA. She was barely 18.

"I went there by myself, then Mum came out when I knew I was going to stay," she remembers. "She helped me find a place and helped me move in. I was always very independent, so while it was scary, it was also exciting. It was a challenge, which I like."

Her move to LA and subsequent success - undoubtedly made easier by the accumulation of a coveted green card in 2004 - also made her face up to the fact that she wouldn't be pursuing ballet as a career. "I still love ballet but I don't think I will go back to it now," she admits.

But all that effort wasn't wasted: as well as that perfect grace, the rigid discipline of classical ballet training has made her more physically tough than her fragile looks might suggest. Something that, she admits with a nervous laugh, helped her withstand the rigours of shooting Lost in the jungle on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.

"In many ways, the filming is actually like the drama. You endure the muggiest weather in the rainforest, and there are bugs everywhere that will completely devour you unless you wear copious amounts of insect repellent - it's very remote. You're really exposed to the elements. The only other living creatures you see are the wild boar that hang round the catering tables. Mind you, unlike in the series, they are very sweet and we feed them bread," she says with a giggle.

De Ravin's ordeal in the jungle was made worse during the first 20 episodes because she had to wear an uncomfortable but convincing prosthetic stomach for her role as the heavily pregnant Claire.

"It's made of latex and foam and is skin-coloured with a little bellybutton and everything," she says. "It was very hot wearing it, and I am definitely glad I won't be wearing it in the second series."

When the time came for Claire to give birth, de Ravin had an obstetrician on hand to help her make the labour and delivery scenes look authentic.

"We wanted to make it look real; we didn't want it to be one of those births you see on television all the time where the baby pops out looking pristine and the woman seems to push it out effortlessly. I think the process was nearly as exhausting, although obviously not as painful, as really giving birth. I spent a day pretending to have contractions and the next day I was really sore - my arms and legs ached. I guess that now I have a bit of an idea what to expect when I really have a baby," she laughs.

The experience has not, however, made her anxious to start a family with Janowicz just yet. Despite being a "total homebody" who puts "family first", de Ravin and her fiance intend to focus on their careers for the next few years.

"We have a dog, Bella, who is a perfect baby substitute for now. She's a poodle with large flappy ears - she is really unique," she says.

Focusing on that career has also led to film roles in Rian Johnson's upcoming darkly comic Brick - which went down a storm with audiences and critics at this year's Sundance Film Festival - and a lead role in the comedy/horror Santa's Slay. However, de Ravin harbours a desire to return home to work. "I would love to work back in Australia," she says, "but no one asks me because everyone thinks I'm American."

It's not surprising: the American accent that she has used for every role - except as Claire in Lost - could fool most. Not that she hasn't worked at it. "I originally bought one of those tapes, you know, 'How to Speak American'. But it was horrible. It's not the right way to learn; you've really got to listen to people." So she did.

Not the slightest bit vain (she has no make-up on and is wearing an old T-shirt and Birkenstocks with jeans), the greatest luxury in her life, says de Ravin, is "being home with Josh and Bella".

Indeed, all the other main characters in Lost (she is one of 13) relocate to Hawaii during shooting, while de Ravin prefers to commute to the island whenever she can. "Most of my disposable income goes on plane tickets. Sometimes, when we are shooting, I have to stay in a hotel, but whenever I can I fly home, and so I have to pay for that privilege. But it's worth it. I just want to be home where Josh is, where my life is."
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

so new cast pic (either season two or late epi season one)

where the hell is emilie? i am afraid now