Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

What the show means to our generation

The Simpson's is a cultural phenomonon. Harry Potter got nuttin' on us!
An entire generation grew up on the show and continues to watch it well into their adulthood... Although the show crosses generational boundaries and is enjoyed by both young and old.

What did people watch before the Simpsons? I know, its hard. Think real hard. Life before the Simpsons...

Do you think the Simpson's will continue its success and be studied along with the likes of Casablanca or Hitchcock as examples of man's artistic genuis... (you know those other things that are famous outside of the Simpsons' universe? Yeah, me neither.)

I'd just like to know your thoughts.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Elite Fan

I think what has helped The Simpsons, besides the offbeat humor, is that the show can not be dated. For some shows, they rely on humor based on current events. What may have seemed funny back in the 70s may not make sense to the same demographic in the 90s.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Elite Fan

I think the show will be part of history, I grew up watching the show when I was a little and now I'm in my 20's and still continue to see it. My brothers who are younger than me see it also, it's like Cyn said that the show can't be dated kids and adults love the show. Also it's been the longest running show for a cartoon, 16 years, it's just so amazing to know that this show has been running on the air for 16 years, and it will continue I think forever in reruns, it already comes out everyday, 3 times a day here where I'm at
Old 03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Master Fan

I've heard that a few certain episodes of The Simpsons are watched and studied in a Cultural Geography class here at my university, which I think is awesome. A friend of mine wrote a paper about the portrayal of religion in The Simpsons, as it is basically the only show on television (besides 7th Heaven) in which the characters regularly attend church. I must say that I think the Simpsons as a family have a far more "realistic" -- or at least, more common -- relationship with God than do the Camden's.

We watched The Simpson's spoof on Hamlet in my A.P. Literature class last year. I thought that was wonderful.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Elite Fan

Angela, I've heard that also, it would be so cool to be able to take a class that studies some of the episodes.

I remember when I was in high school I used to take episodes so me and my friends could see them at lunch
Old 03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar007
I think the show will be part of history, I grew up watching the show when I was a little and now I'm in my 20's and still continue to see it.
When The Simpsons started, I was still in college
Old 03-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

What year did The Simpsons premiere? Because I remember being a child and my parents not letting me watch it, for whatever reason.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

It premiered Dec. 1989.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Elite Fan

Wow 1989, how times goes by.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Passionate Fan

The Simpsons is definitely something rare. For a cartoon to last as long as it has, and the popularity that it keeps through all these years is amazing!!!!! I have a satellite, and every night the reruns start at 5pm, and pretty much every half hour, I can find the Simpsons on a channel somewhere, it's always on, which is great because none of the episodes ever get old to watch!!

When I was highschool, every week a kid would bring in an episode of the Simpsons, and would set up a TV at lunch in one of the classrooms. I swear, the room was SOO packed every single week. Kids were sitting on the window ledges, kids were standing out in the halls looking in through the doorway just to watch a Simpsons episode that they have probably seen a thousand times. It was fun though, everyone would just be bursting out in laughter, and there are just so many Simpsons fans! It's VERY awesome!!!!

Avy: pessimistreader
Old 03-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Elite Fan

Carrie, that's very cool.

I know here where I'm at the show comes out every day, weekdays it comes out 3 times a day, and Saturdays two times and then Sundays it's usually only one (the new one) and sometimes there are repeats they show.

I agree I never get tired of seeing the same episodes, I still laugh every single time.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think the show will be part of history, I grew up watching the show when I was a little and now I'm in my 20's and still continue to see it.
Same here. I can't imagine life without the Simpson's.

It's affect on pop culture is staggering. If you watch any cartoon post Simpson's there definitely an influence.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

I know what you mean, I couldn't live without the show, it's been so much a part of my life through the years.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Since I posted that, I've taken up a class at uni called Contempory Culture... guess which family is on the front of my reader?
It's funny how the show can be digested so easily yet acedemics pore over it for hours, examining its cultural implications and impact.

Last edited by Firestar007; 03-23-2005 at 06:31 AM
Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbirthdayGirl
Since I posted that, I've taken up a class at uni called Contempory Culture... guess which family is on the front of my reader?
It's funny how the show can be digested so easily yet acedemics pore over it for hours, examining its cultural implications and impact.
Really cool that you are taking that class and discussing the show I wish I could take a class like that.

Also sorry about in your message saying that it was edited by me but I was going to click on the reply with quote and ended up pressing the edit one, sorry about that.