Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Elite Fan

Simpsons and Pop-Culture today

Hey everyone! You haev to admit that simpsons is everywhere!

i was on wiki and simpsons is in the history of the "any key" button

Any key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anywhere you guys have seen simpsons popping up?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Elite Fan

They are definitely everywhere.

I love that they have written books about the show. Like even one on the religion of the show, I think.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Elite Fan

Yea that book ive seen

Here is an article on the topic:

‘Simpsons’ evolves as an industry
Fox’s much-loved TV show is a guaranteed cash cow
One of many name-brand companies to tie itself to the show, Kellogg's has used "Simpsons" characters to sell cereals like Crispix and Corn Pops, along with other breakfast products.

By Jon Bonné
MSNBC
Updated: 8:31 a.m. ET Nov 7, 2003
“D’oh!”? Perhaps it really should be “Dough!” With original shows in production, several reruns a day in syndication and thousands of items that now feature the faces and voices of its unforgettable characters, “The Simpsons” is an industry unto itself.

It is television's Energizer Bunny. As other programs — even those with tremendous marketing appeal — fade away, the citizens of Springfield keep on going. Each successive season, and its 15th begins Sunday, strengthens its brand and solidifies its hall-of-fame status in American cultural history.

“It will be one of the longest running shows in the history of television,” says Bill Carroll, vice president and director of programming at Katz Television Group, which represents local TV stations. “It will be ‘Gunsmoke,’ it will be ‘Law and Order,’ and and it will be ‘The Simpsons.’”

New “Simpsons” episodes do just fine in the ratings — often in the top 25 for the week, according to Nielsen Media Research — though they rarely break the top 10. But that doesn’t really matter: What the show delivers consistently is a spectacular audience mix of kids and adults, often topping its time slot among viewers 18-34. One of Fox’s key strategies has always been to program to that younger audience, which remains a coveted prize among advertisers, but “The Simpsons” delivers it in addition to younger children and teens.

Still, the real cash comes from syndicated episodes, which broke a traditional once-a-day mold for syndicated shows and are regularly seen two or even three times a day in major markets. It has quickly ensconsed itself on syndication A-lists with “Friends” and “Seinfeld,” though they often can’t deliver quite as broad a demographic range; its syndication revenue is estimated to be as large as $1 billion, with Fox capturing perhaps 10-15 percent.

“That’s where they make most of their money,” says Wayne Friedman, contributing editor for Television Week magazine. “It’s like printing money, basically.”

'Simpsons,' 'Simpsons' everywhere
That’s just the beginning, though. Fox has harnessed a whole realm of “Simpsons” licensing opportunities over the years. Unlike most movies and TV shows, which get an initial rush of interest in branded merchandise before fading into obscurity, “The Simpsons” has provided endless fodder for manufacturers and retailers.

Some 500 companies around the world are licensed to put “Simpsons” faces on everything from action figures to cereal — and 96 percent renew their contracts. Major retail brands like Burger King and Butterfinger, which came back for new deals after a hiatus, can’t get enough of “Simpsons” tie-ins. A line of “Simpsons” pet toys just launched at Target; a recent video game, “The Simpsons: Hit and Run,” remains a big hit; and Brunswick just signed a deal for a “Simpsons” bowling ball and bowling leagues at its 109 alleys. Like other companies, it hopes to harness the show’s ageless appeal and signal a promise of family fun. “It’s an excellent match,” says Don Jones, Brunswick’s director of retail marketing.

Though Fox won’t discuss how much it makes from license deals, revenues from “Simpsons” merchandising are estimated to edge up into the hundreds of millions, and possibly higher. “Simpsons” T-shirt sales reportedly will take in $20 million this year in the United States alone.

“It is without doubt the biggest licensing entity that Fox has had, full stop, I would say from either TV or film,” says Peter Byrne, Fox’s executive vice president of licensing and merchandising.

Link to the rest of the article and related ones:

‘Simpsons’ evolves as an industry - - MSNBC.com
Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the article.

They are definitely everywhere, like when the movie came out the promotion with some 7-Elevens turning into Kwik-E-Mart's and selling Duff soda, Krusty O
s, those pink sprinkled donuts, etc.

Burger King having a promotion for the movie.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Elite Fan

I wish i had seen one of the 711's. there was only one in MD but it was too far Did you get to see one?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Elite Fan

Nope I didn't. Even though I could've gone to the one in Burbank, CA. But I just didn't have time because I was so busy during that time with work.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Elite Fan

Nonetheless, I think it was a great marketing plan. My dad is a teacher and he uses simpsons clips to perk interest in his students. He teaches a below level math class in a not so great school and they need eveyrthing they can to motivate them. Last week he showed them the crayon int he brain ep

Lots of people can relate to simpsons in one way or another.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Elite Fan

It was definitely a great marketing plan. That's awesome that your dad does that. The crayon ep, definitely a fave of mine.

I agree, I can definitely relate to them.

I remember in high school, I used to bring tapes of the eps I recorded and we used to watch them in my biology teacher's room during lunch, fun times
Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar007 (View Post)

I remember in high school, I used to bring tapes of the eps I recorded and we used to watch them in my biology teacher's room during lunch, fun times
that is awesome

Simpsons used to be my family's together time.We used to watch simpsons everyday together (and then friends and seinfeld because they followed simpsons and none of us wanted to get up to turn off the tv )
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Elite Fan

Fun times indeed.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Elite Fan

The word "d'oh" made it into the Oxford English Dictionary in 2002.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Elite Fan

That's so awesome, it made it in the Oxford English Dictionary
Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Has everyone has seen the new short of Homer playing Pokemon Go at the zoo?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS