Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Elite Fan

Jumped the shark?

"It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it 'jumping the shark" -- www.jumpingtheshark.net

So, in your opinion, do you think The Simpsons has jumped the shark? And if so, when did it occur?
Old 03-13-2004, 06:41 AM
Total Fan

Ooh. Sharks. Climaxes. Yowza. ...yeah. It's six in the morning. I'm going to use the "too early to think" card as my excuse for that.

In other news, Fox has recently been airing the old episodes (you know, black Smithers), some of which I do find rather dull. The most recent seasons have a tendency to disappoint me, so it's down to what's in between.

^(This is meant to support my answer of: Yes.)
Old 03-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Ahhhh, black Smithers, and the good old days when the voice of Ralph Wiggum was used for a variety of children's voices, everyone's heads were oddly shaped (more so than usual) and Marge's voice was weeeeeeiiiiird.

IMO, there's nothing like classic Simpsons. The first Treehouse of Horror (This story is so scary you'll wet your pants......Too late.) Bart had a nifty little song called the Bartman. Nobody had ever thought of using 'D'oh!' as an answer for just about everything and Michael Jackson was a big fat man who lived in a mental institution (They were so close!). Everything was fresh and new, and we all had fun trying to figure out which celebrity would lend their voice next.

Now, 'D'oh' is old news, Bart has pretty much done everything a 10 yr old recalciatrant could ever hope to see and do. Maggie still isnt talking, well except for that one time, and Ralpy still likes to pick his nose until it bleeds. After 14 odd years, The Simpsons is lucky to churn out 5 decent eps a season, as opposed to those golden halcyon days of every episode pretty much being a winner.

In short, has The Simpsons jumped the shark? I'd say yes, and then some.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sarzy:
<STRONG>...and Michael Jackson was a big fat man who lived in a mental institution.</STRONG>
Ah, Jacko. Mockery at its best.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:55 AM
Master Fan

I have to admit there was a while there where the episodes didn't seem to be as funny as other seasons. The new new episodes we've been getting in australia though have been cracking me up, so I guess they're back on track again!

I for one never want the Simpsons to end! Unless it gets really really crappy... but I can't imagine them writing really crappy episodes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?"
"Throw it away and punch him on the nose," Ron suggested.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by JavieBot:
<STRONG>The new new episodes we've been getting in australia though have been cracking me up, so I guess they're back on track again!</STRONG>
What was your most recent ep?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Elite Fan

This show has been on for 14 years. If it had jumped the shark, The Simpsons would have died a horrible death by now, right? There have been shows, well-written shows, that never reached that milestone.

I think if one of the main actors were to be replaced, the show would definitely jump the shark.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eidolon14:
<STRONG>

What was your most recent ep?</STRONG>
Last new epi we got in Oz was the Roofi one where Marge goes against all the minority groups, I think we're about 2 epis behind now.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Total Fan

Huh. I was guessing one or two seasons behind, but you crazy koala lovers proved me wrong.

Cyn, that's a good point. There have been comedies that have never made it to where The Simpsons is today, even, but when comparing the show to itself, the scale does change. (I'm hoping that made sense.)
Old 03-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eidolon14:
<STRONG>Huh. I was guessing one or two seasons behind, but you crazy koala lovers proved me wrong.
</STRONG>

Well it may have something to do with the fact that it's on 5 nights a week, basically all year round. Means lots of repeats but as soon as the new season screens in the U.S, we basically get it straight away.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sarzy:
<STRONG>...but as soon as the new season screens in the U.S, we basically get it straight away.</STRONG>
Another perk of Simpsons. I truly doubt Aussies get episodes of other shows as quickly as Simpsons.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

I thought of this as I was getting ready for work. There's a couch gag where the family is water skiing, and Homer jumps the shark. At the end, his legs get bitten off. So that would mean he didn't quite "jump the shark".

Are they trying to tell us something?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Master Fan

Wow! You're so smrt!
It's probably what they were trying to say. I love how the creators do stuff like that.

"And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?"
"Throw it away and punch him on the nose," Ron suggested.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Elite Fan

Or the writers thought it would be funny if Homer's legs got bitten off.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but I thought this could be another good discussion.

I still maintain that the show really hasn't jumped the shark. There may have been episodes here and there that sucked big time, but as I said before, if the show had jumped the shark, it wouldn't be around for 16 seasons.