Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Elite Fan

Has the humor ever offended you?

Back in 2002, an episode called "Blame It on Lisa" caught the attention of tourism officials in Rio de Janeiro. So much so that they were going to sue the show for its satirical portrayal of the city.

Did the show take it too far? Should the officials have been offended?

Have you ever been offended by the humor?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Elite Fan

I remember that story.

I have never been offended by the humor on the show, I guess because it's a tv show, and that's how the show is, they sometimes push the limits on some things that they say. I guess it comes down to how each person sees it, for it's not a problem.

Also I remember also some time ago where another episode sparked controversy it was the episode where in the beginning Homer is running a marathon and Mr.Burns is in the race but Smithers is the one that is pushing him in one of those carts and then he tells Smithers, "You call yourself a China man" and later Chinese people were offended because it was racist to be called that way so in when they show that episode again in repeats they changed that line by taking away "China Man" and saying it "Chinese Man"
Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know if I've been truly offended. I do get annoyed at Homer whenever he's irresponsible with firearms, but then again, are we supposed to take his actions seriously?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Addicted Fan

I've never been offended, but I hate watching the epsiode where they come to Australia because it embarrasses me to think that people actually view us that way . Sometimes I think "Wow, can they say that?", but I still laugh my butt off.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 AM
Elite Fan

I've never been offended by it, because I understand that it's all in humor and for entertainment purposes. But I can understand why some people would be offended... some shows aren't for everyone.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Total Fan

I've never really been offended by the show. It pushes the envelope at times but thats what I like about it. I don't think the Simpsons would be the same if half the things that might normally offend me where not there.

icon by

Sarah
Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Passionate Fan

I'll never be offended by anything that's done on the Simpsons, it's all too hilarious and silly to be taken seriously!

Avy: pessimistreader
Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Loyal Fan

I can see where it would offend some, but seriously people lets all grow up, the simpsons picks on EVERYTHING...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

I've never been really offended, but I've seen a lot of stuff that might have offended me had it been on another show. I don't know why. I guess I just like the Simpsons that way -- the writers aren't afraid to take chances with their jokes and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar007
Also I remember also some time ago where another episode sparked controversy it was the episode where in the beginning Homer is running a marathon and Mr.Burns is in the race but Smithers is the one that is pushing him in one of those carts and then he tells Smithers, "You call yourself a China man" and later Chinese people were offended because it was racist to be called that way so in when they show that episode again in repeats they changed that line by taking away "China Man" and saying it "Chinese Man"
I don't remember that, but I don't think I would have been offended. The Simpsons actually make quite a few racial jokes and they don't usually bother me.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 02-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah it was a few years when that episode aired, and so they changed the way that Mr. Burns says that.

I agree the writers are not afraid to take chances. It's like any other comedy show like Saturday Night Live or Mad TV or any sketch show were they make fun of famous people or at things going on in the world.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's a good question. For me personally, it's a double edged sword. For instance I love Apu. I'm Indian too, and it's one of the few times I "see myself" in pop culture. And a lot of the jokes are funny and very true.

But, it seems like we (Indians) are ones that people can get away with stereotyping the most. I'm not sure why.

I agree the Simpsons makes fun of a lot of races and religions, but mine seems to be the one targeted the most. And I wouldn't care, but there's already a lot of misconceptions of Hinduism and Indians out there.

It doesn't offend me, but it's sometimes a harsh reminder of where we stand in American culture.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

I don't find it offensive. I find it funny. It's sometimes just making fun of stereotypes, not like purposely insulting people with it, but presenting the material in an exaggerated way expanding on the stereotypes. I think all those references to cultures outside U.S., be it Canadian, Chinese, English, Japanese....and so on....they weren't being racist and discriminatory to other cultures, they were in fact making fun of how U.S. would perceive other cultures sometimes.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Master Fan

Well, Homer being so irresponsible with firearms is supposed to, I think, be satirical commentary on the dangers and a warning about people who are irresponsible with firearms and how they shouldn't be trusted with them, , so I actually cheer it on. I don't think I've ever been truly offended, but I will give a detached horrified/amused gasp to some of the things they say because it's just so...bold. It isn't trying to offend with a lot of the things it says, it's trying to satirize those who say those things seriously. That's what I love about it.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Elite Fan

Ok, do you think there would ever be a circumstance where the writers could take it too far?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Total Fan

I've never once been offended by this show, and I've been an avid fan for over ten years. I don't take it seriously, because I know that even though there are stereotypes, generalizations, etc., that the intentions behind them are normally in jest and aren't meant to be taken seriously. It's for entertainment purposes, and I mean, there are plenty of shows out there that can be so much worse. (This can be said for many of FOX's primetime shows! They're known for "pushing the envelope.") But to be realistic, some people will be offended by the jokes. That's just a given, which is practically same for about any show.

Facts of life: You can't please everyone, and not everyone's going to agree.

Ah, well. I still love the Simpsons.