Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

"The Great Simpsina" - Episode Discussion

From The Simpsons Archive

The Great Simpsina
#NABF11

Lisa apprentices to a magician, only to reveal the secret to his biggest trick to his competitor; Marge overdoes it with peach recipes.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

I noticed in the credits that Teller, from Penn and Teller, was the magic consultant. I didn't even check if that was actually his voice too.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

I really liked this episode, and I love stage magic so I had high hopes. Also, any opportunity to poke fun at Criss Angel is fine by me.

There were also some nice Homer & Lisa scenes (love when he said that line about nobody hurting his female children) and also I liked the bit with Nelson telling God that Lisa better make it out of the trick alive.

The peach thing was a little random, and it was basically over in the first 5 minutes. But I was a minute late so I have to go back and rewatch the beginning.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Elite Fan

Nelson specifically said "my Lisa"

Craig Demon was a great parody of Criss Angel, though I can't picture Criss with a son.

Who was the first magician in the group? I heard David Copperfield and Penn and Teller.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

Loved this episode. I had to find out in another board that Martin Landau was the old magician.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The nelson line and the homer/lisa scenes were the highlights of the episode for me. Overall it was pretty good.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbak (View Post)
Loved this episode. I had to find out in another board that Martin Landau was the old magician.
I forgot Martin Landau was still alive.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

I always watch TV with the closed captioning, and they actually spelled Craig Demon as "Cregg Demon" which made it even better.

Does anyone know why this episode didn't have an opening and couch gag? Was it too long?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

Oh that's funny about the closed captioning of Cregg Demon. As for the missing opening sequence and couch gag, I assume that the episode content ran long. So instead of cutting out scenes in the episode, they cut out the beginning.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grilka (View Post)
Who was the first magician in the group? I heard David Copperfield and Penn and Teller.
Ricky Jay, who has also acted a number of David Mamet movies.

This was a funny episode. The parody of Criss Angel was pretty vicious (no complaints from me), and Martin Landau was terrific as the old age. I also loved the bit at the end with his character taking one more hit of ether so he could dance with his wife.

Homer had some great stuff in this episode. Loved his line in his vision about a "stupid Flanders like me" as well as his line about raising three kids in this economy being the real magic.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 04-20-2011 at 09:23 PM
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Elite Fan

It would have been just as funny if Homer said "stupid sexy Flanders".
Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
The parody of Criss Angel was pretty vicious (no complaints from me)
The first thing this episode reminded me of was actually the Supernatural episode called "Criss Angel is a Douchebag." He seems to make himself an easy target for that sort of thing. Incidentally, his father owned a doughnut shop, so Homer would probably like him.

I just love that they did an episode based around stage magic in this day and age. I loved it as a kid and still do. I used to watch the broadcasts on TV and I had them recorded on tapes that I would re-watch over and over. But it seems like the popularity of it has waned since the "masked magician" basically gave away all their secrets.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 PM
New Fan

Newsflash: With the recent passing of Liz Taylor, The Curse of The Simpsons has reached 50 victims! Check out the details at The Curse of The Simpsons

Guest Starring on "The Simpsons" = A Death Sentence!