Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

"Fland Canyon" - Episode Discussion

From The Simpsons Archive

Fland Canyon
Episode VABF12

Homer tells the story of the time when the Simpsons went to the Grand Canyon with the Flanderses where the families learn to get along when it's up to Ned and Bart to save the day.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Tftnt!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

I didn't think I was going to like this one (the tagline I read sounded boring) but it was great! Felt almost like a classic Simpsons episode in many ways.

First of all, didn't realize at first it was going to be set in the past. I love a lot of the earlier episodes like that, like "Lisa's First Word." Homer singing to Maggie & trying to get her to go to sleep was adorable and sweet. Homer, on reading Little Red Riding Hood: "I don't like seeing a wolf punished for having a healthy appetite."

Secondly, the shots of the Grand Canyon and the starry sky were soooo beautiful. I love it when they do outdoor episodes like this and can really go all out with the artwork. It reminds me of that episode we got 5 or so years ago where Lisa saves the beached whale.

All in all, a really good family episode and Homer/Flanders episode. There were many funny moments as well. I loved seeing Lisa devouring bacon!

I've noticed a strange trend this past season though. A lot of episodes in a row that have similar themes. There were those two Marge/Lisa bonding episodes very close together. Two episodes in a row where the Simpsons go on vacation. Two episodes in a row where Marge feels unappreciated. Earlier in the season, there were also two Halloween episodes in a row. Kind of weird, like they pitched certain ideas in the writers' room and then let two different writers do their take on it?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS

Last edited by 22 Umbrellas; 06-01-2016 at 01:19 PM
Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love the outdoor episodes too.

& Yeah, now that you mention it they have been doing a lot of recurring themes! Strange!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'll definitely be on the lookout next season to see if that trend continues.

Here's a few more gifs from this episode. Couldn't figure out where else to put them.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 10-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt!
Emily
Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Love those gifs! They are so high quality!