Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Elite Fan

Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind- 2/24 (repeat) Episode Discussion

From The Simpsons Archive

When Homer wakes up in the snow and discovers that Marge and his kids are nowhere to be seen, Moe tells Homer about the drink he had that made him forget the previous 24 hours, so he goes to Professor Frink to get his memory back, where he discovers that he found Marge with another man.

-Can't believe we forgot to create the thread.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Elite Fan

Totally my fault there -- however, I'll blame it on the snow
Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Elite Fan

No worries, Cyn

Love the scene where they do the 39 years of Homer's life, of how he has aged
Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Part-Time Fan

Where's the love here?

I really enjoyed this episode immensely. The multiple references to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Homer-in-a-bubble-flying-through-memories (man, that was nostalgic), his first kiss ever with Marge becoming Apu, the hilarious Youtube montage of 39 years... A fantastic holiday episode in every sense that should put naysayers of recent seasons to rest.

I'm more convinced than ever now that since the writing team has finished production and publicity on The Simpsons movie (after many long years), we can look forward to top-notch episodes from them in the near future.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Elite Fan

That was hilarious to see that his first kiss with Marge turned into Apu
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not familiar with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - what was the movie about?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM
New Fan

Just from the episode title, I could tell this was going to be a good episode; the couch-gag just furthered that notion. This was not only a good episode, it is the best of Season 19, and for the show's current standard, I consider this episode perfect.

Not only is this an immensely complicated episode, it's without a doubt the most intelligent one I've seen in well over ten seasons. Some things here are so brilliant, that the only other times I've ever seen anything like them on the show, were in the movie.

Example, that flashback scene of Homer's life is just one of the greatest things I've seen in the show. I don't know why it works, but it just does. It almost the same, if not, more impact than the 'Wedding Tape' scene in the movie, and I just didn't think that was possible. It's not a tear-jerking scene, but it's a mixture between being melloncollie, funny, and and slightly depressing, but in an absolutely perfect, powerful way.

As for humour, I was pleasantly surprised by what this episode had to offer. I didn't laugh at times, but the material wasn't bad, just not something that can bring me to laugh at it. Now, on to animation. I've seen better on the show, but it was fantastic here, with great uses of colours, which really go with the feel of the scenes they represent.

Another thing that makes this episode pretty much perfect for the show's current standard is the references to other episodes. They're absolutely brilliant. There's one scene in which about a thousand frames from earlier episodes come flying at you, and I had to pause the video to make any of them out. I don't believe the show has referenced itself better than it did in this magnificant episode.

While this isn't an entirely perfect episode, as the scenes with Marge, Homer, and Duffman let it down a bit, and the Ice Age parody wasn't something I was expecting, but it works; it just doesn't matter, because I've come to expect that hardly new episodes are going to be perfect, and pretty much no episode in the past 3 years has shown a level of this brilliance; and I need to be happy with what they're giving; but I'll never stop believing they might possibly put out something better one day. But this episode is pretty much perfect, and after 19 seasons, I don't think it's going to get any better than this. So until they put out a better episode, I'm going to just accept that this is the how perfect episodes are nowadays.

9.9/10 - which is possibly the highest rating I've given an episode since the seventh season.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:57 AM
New Fan

Sorry, double post. Disregard.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the caps

Loved that scene where Moe was going slow motion with the tape and how his face kept changing and Moe saying that's not really how he looks like
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Elite Fan

The episode is re-airing Sunday (2/24)
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Elite Fan

Did you see it Cyn?

I just love seeing Homer aging 39 years
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Elite Fan

I was trying to watch 3 things last night: Blues hockey, pre-Oscars red carpet thing, and the Law and Order: SVU marathon. By the time I remembered The Simpsons was on, it was too late.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Elite Fan

Aww that sucks. But mostly likely it will repeated one of these days.