Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Total Fan

Change vs. No Change

Not many animated shows have an audience demographic as wide as The Simpsons other than South Park and King of the Hill (I can't stand it, but I'm guessing it does have fans), but there is something else that sets Simpsons apart from the others. It's the only show that has gone on for a fifteen year run without any major changes.

What's the last thing you can think of that's made an impact on the show? Maude's death? Sober Barney? Sadly, those are the biggest changes. The revelation that Skinner isn't actually Skinner and Snowball's death both got "erased", if you will, considering there is never any mention of it.

Why do you think this is? Is Matt Groening afraid of some change? Would it be so wrong for Bart and Lisa to move on to a new grade level? Maybe with some change, the show could be carried out of the ditch that it's been in for the past few seasons.

Maybe that's what the movie is for. To push the show further along and to add some variety to the show. What do you think?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Elite Fan

It's the old saying....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Making a major change can impact a show -- if it appeals to the audience, then hopefully you get more viewers. If it doesn't, the show could jump the shark. With such a large fan base, I don't think they want to take such a risk.