Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Master Fan

Episode 3x03 Discussion: That Old Gang of Mine.

From tnt.tv

Wednesday, July 21st @ 5pm(ET)
"That Old Gang of Mine" TV-14-LV, CC
Gunn's loyalties are torn between his current demon-hunting associates and the gang he used to hang out with, which has taken to killing demons for fun instead of defense.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Karbear3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Total Fan

Besides the Fred/Wes scenes I don't like this episode.
I think the scenes when Wes is protecting Fred is really sweet.

Livejournal
Fred Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

They are from That Vision Thing

Didn't care for this eppy much really except the sweet W/F scenes and also the cool Gunn/Wes/Angel ending

Some of the quotes I liked

Wesley: Charles, things aren't always so simple as - going out and slaying the big, bad ugly. There are in this world shades of gray...
Gunn: Yeah. And shades of green, and a kind of sickly looking yellow with pink eyes and sometimes puce with horns, too. I get it. What I don't get is why we're suddenly playing cleanup crew to a bunch of lowlife demons! - I mean, okay, so we - we bust our butts day and night until we find whatever it was that did Merl and this Larch guy...
Wesley: And six other victims we believe we've linked to it.
Gunn: So we find this demon killing machine. What then? We gonna stop it? Or thank it?

Fred: Although I thought I might just shoot you in the throat instead. Now, if I pierce one of your carotid arteries, considering the temperature in here, 'cause I think somebody shot the thermostat, the blood loss is gonna be heavy. And there's a chance I'll puncture a vocal cord and you won't even be able to scream. But you'll want to when the blood loss to your brain results in a cerebral vascular event. - That's a stroke. I wasn't trying to sound snooty.

Wesley: If you ever withhold information or attempt to subvert me again, I will fire you. - I can't have any one member of the team compromising the safety of the group, no matter who it is. If you do it again you will be dismissed, bag and baggage, out of a job onto the streets.

Gunn: No matter what else, I think I proved that you can trust me when I could have killed you and I didn't.
Angel: No. - You'll prove that I can trust you when day comes that you have to kill me - and you do.

crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

I liked this episode... but it made me hate Gunn...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

I like it purely on Fresley standing.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Elite Fan

I thought the over arc was cool... but Gunn being so... with everything...

How could you not care who killed Merl?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Elite Fan

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Elite Fan

Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

THAT OLD GANG OF MINE (anyone else keep expecting Gunn to break into a number from Sweet Charity?)
The Good;
Angel apologising to Merl is hilarious but this is Gunn's ep. Love Fred singing at Caritas and she shows some steel for the first time.
The Bad;
Evidence bags. Hmmm? Are we on CSI or something? Weird how they appear this week as an important part of the plot but then we never see them again.
Best line:
Fred; "Oh. Oh! Ohhhhhh!" (all in the delivery)
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
The killing of the balancing entity is particularly gruesome
Apocalypses: 5
Angel Cliches
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
Human's bad, demons, well if not good not inherently evil
In disguise; 8
DB get's his shirt off; 12
Cordy's tattoo; 8,
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 10
Wes: 6
Gunn; 3
Lorne; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 11
Angel: 13
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 2
Kills: one demon for Gunn
Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
Angel; 28 vamps, 40 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 7 demons+1 vamp
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 8 vamps+ 6 demons.
Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 6

Characters killed:
Recurring characters killed; goodbye Merl. Gunn is still haunted by killing his sister which you can't blame him for.
7;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
5, Angel, Cordy, Wes, Gunn and Fred

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 11
Wes; 1
Packing heat; Gunn with a shotgun. He seems to object to the gang using Uzis but under his leadership they didn't hesitate to use a flamethrower.
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1
Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Angel and the Furies
Cordy: 3 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis
Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies
Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:
It's implied that Angel beds the three Furies (genuine characters from Greek mythology and very popular on TV at the time also turning up on Xena and Charmed, Piper even becomes one for a while). Singly or all three sisters at the same time? (Every man's ultimate fantasy? Or would that include their milfy mom joining in as well?) He's now happy to do so as after Darla he knows he won't lose his soul because he doesn't love them. Of course this is what we all assume. I read a very funny fanfic once where we learn that the Furies actually dig Angel due to his exquisite foot massage technique.
Captain Subtext;
CC describes Fred as 'sweet and adorable'. Lorne describes Gunn as 'sweetie'. The Furies tell Cordelia she is not equipped to pay this debt but I once read a rather good fanfic on the subject which ended in the words "MMMMmmmmm Cordelia!". What exactly did Rondell flee from in Florida? Who is the girl who trusted him to the end? Someone he betrayed or someone who he couldn't save?
Know the face, different character; 3
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; 16
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
Questions and observations;
Wes saves Fred in Caritas. Wes' new image makes him look like some form of student teacher or something. Surely shooting Lorne would do him no harm if cutting his head off doesn't kill him? One demon keeps saying "Oh god", the other says "He's not listening", weird that demons refer to god.
Now, are Rondell and the guys right or wrong? When they raid Caritas they kill at least one vamp and a babyeating demon, it's hard to say that's really wrong? The problem is they don't distinguish as AI do. The ending is probably as good as you can get in this dilemma. Interesting that Wes warns Gunn about divided loyalties a subject he's going to learn all about later in the season.
Marks out of 10; 7/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Oh dear, poor Merl.

I'd write a proper review for this episode but I'm a bit too tired right now.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I liked Merl. It was so sad how he ended
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, he didn't deserve to be killed like that. And Angel was finally trying to make it up to him.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Very controversial episode.