Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Master Fan

Angel episode discussion: Over the Rainbow

Tuesday, August 31st @ 11pm(ET) TNT
"Over the Rainbow" TV-PG-LV, CC
Angel and his friends travel to the Host's home world to look for Cordelia.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Karbear3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

OVER THE RAINBOW

The Good;
A fun romp veering unpredictably from the ridiculous to the sublime, not so much the series changing direction as looping the loop and throwing in a barrel roll for good measure. Must be so nice for DB to be able to work in the sun for once.
The Bad;
Even the most imaginative set dressing can't hide the cheapness of some of the production qualities. The bit where Lorne goes to see his psychic friend is also blatantly filler (although I love her name, Persia White, sounds like a film noir heroine?)
Best line: Another Xena reference (see also Disharmony and Halloween on Buffy)
Gunn; (on being told that Pylea is rife with xenophobia) "Why are they afraid of Xena? I think she's kinda fly"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
A lot of the Pylea stuff especially the hellbeast discecting the guy. We thankfully never see the AI group as a freakishly hybridinized siamese twin, as Gunn observes, horrified "That was a risk!!!?"
Apocalypses: 5
Angel Cliches
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
The guys take on the villagers and for once they lose.
In disguise; 8
DB get's his shirt off; 12
Cordy's tattoo; 6,
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage: Cordyx2 but the rest of the guys as well
Cordy: 7
Angel: 10
Wes: 5
Gunn; 2
Lorne; 1

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 10
Angel: 12
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 1
Kills:
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 26 vamps, 33 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 3 demons
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 7 vamps+ 2 demons.
Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 6

Characters killed:
Recurring characters killed;
6;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 11
Wes; 1
Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
Angel: 2; Buffy and Darla
Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:
Cordy as a slave for the second time. If you enjoy seeing beautiful women enslaved, enchained and degraded this is the ep for you. Of course if you enjoy that you should be in deep, deep therapy rather than reading my reviews! Wes has handcuffs or at least knows someone who does (Mistress Spanksalot?). Once again, here's where they miss Kate who could have lent them some.
Captain Subtext;
Gunn likes Xena. Now this could either be classed as kinky dinky, he just likes hot dominant women in leather,(well who doesn't?) or it could have some deeper significance? Pylea strikes you as just the sort of place that Xena and Gabby would clean up.
Know the face, different character; 2
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; 16
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
Questions and observations;
Angel was in the Tower of London at some stage. First real appearance for Fred and Amy Acker does a great job of portraying her impending madness. Also Gavin Parks oozes his Gucci clad self into the show. The scene where Angel leaves the tape for Gunn is very reminiscent of Kurt Russell in The Thing. Angel delighted in the daylight, his joy is lovely to behold.
Marks out of 10; 6/10, not great in itself but again, promising much
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Poor Cordy throughout most of this episode. I love how she kept trying to talk her way out of everything. But what a horrible dimension. No wonder Lorne hated it in his home dimension and refused to go back. How come he ended up being one of the good ones in a home full of evil.

Angel hell bent on getting Cordy back. Loved that Gunn decided to go with them after all. Can't blame him for saying he couldn't at first, after having just lost one of his gang. But I loved how Angel's message made him change his mind.

When they all went through the portal and Angel was like quick, it's daylight, cover me only to discover he wasn't burning. His delight in finding that Pylea's two suns doesn't affect him was so cute. His joy in the daylight was adorable.

LOL Wesley: "I think we're winning" only to immediately cut to all four of them being caught. I guess it made a change. I mean, they were outnumbered 100-4. I wasn't expecting the end to see Cordy appearing to be worshipped over her visions "curse". Everything made it seem like she was going to be killed over it.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved it when Angel saw his hair and went "Why did nobody tell me about this?"
Oh wait, that's in the next ep, isn't it? Can't keep these Pylean eps straight.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, that was the 2nd Pylean episode. They do kinda blend in together as a 3 parter.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Loved how Angel checked his hair
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread