Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Elite Fan

Angel episode discussion 1x10: Parting Gifts

Angel pays a visit to the PTB (Powers That Be) and begs them to return Doyle. They refuse and when he protests that he no longer has access to the visions, they reply that when a door closes, another one opens. Meanwhile, a schwarmy telepathic demon named Barney approaches Angel Investigations for help, claiming that he is being followed by a demon-assassin. Later that day, Cordelia is in the middle of an audition, and receives a vision. She soon realizes there was more to Doyle's kiss than she originally thought. Assuming that she can be rid of the visions by kissing someone else, she kisses Angel, and the new client. After a brief interview with Barney, Angel visits his apartment to see if he can learn anything. While he is there, he encounters Wesley, a watcher he had briefly known in Sunnydale. Wesley was kicked out of the Watcher's Council and is now a rogue-demon hunter in hot pursuit of a dangerous and powerful demon. They soon discover that the demon that was most recently attacked by the killer is of Asian origin. Angel heads over to Koreatown to get more information and Wesley later joins him. After speaking to the dying demon, they deduce that Barney is involved, and Cordelia is is in danger. Meanwhile, Barney kidnaps Cordelia and bids her visionary powers at an auction. When the deal goes to the highest bidder, Cordelia's fate is to have her eyes gouged out. Moments before the first incision, Angel and Wesley rush in and save the day. The next morning, Angel invites Wesley for breakfast. Is Wesley here to stay?

-------
From Buffyworld.com
Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

My favorite episode from S1! So much love for this one.

"You - butcher an innocent girl! I'll thrash you within an inch of your life... And then I'm gonna take that inch!!!"
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

Sad and funny... I loved Cordy's break down during her commercial audition... "That's an interesting choice, but we think stains are bad things..."
Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Elite Fan

Yep, that was a great scene. I love it cause it was so Cordy-centric and Wes finally becomes part of the group. He was so awesome in his leather pants.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Elite Fan

They chaff...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

love love love love this episode

i don't think there was anything i did not like about it except the cangel kiss and that is not because i did not like the kiss but i was already a bona fide cangel so it not going further disappointed me
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

I was actually against this episode at first, it seemed like they were trying to replace Doyle too quickly, but that is really not the case at all. Wesley has a totally different energy than Doyle. I do love this episode now.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Elite Fan

This was my favorite eps from season one.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 AM
Master Fan

it is one of the best eps in s1 for me
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

Parting Gifts
The Good;
Wonderful reintroduction for Wes and a nice period of mourning for Doyle. Plus Cordy's audition and the Oracles again.
The Bad;
Once again, Alexis Denisoff's name is in the titles, ruining the suprise a little
Best line:
"Grass stains!" (all in the delivery). Also liked Wes "I bet you always wondered what became of your old pal Wesley?"
Angel; "Tell you the truth I never gave it much thought"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?
Barney's plans for Cordy are beyond horrible. But she teaches him not to mess with Queen C
Apocalypses: 4
Angel Cliches
Damsel in distress; nope, 2.
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
In disguise; 3
DB get's his shirt off; 3
Cordy's tattoo; 3 yep she bares that beautiful midriff again
Cheap Angel; 2
Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 4
Wes: 1

Fang gang knocked out: yep, Cordy
Cordy: 9
Angel: 7
Wes: 1
Doyle; 1

Kills:
Cordy: none this ep. 3 vamps, ½ a demon from her time in Sunnydale
Angel: 1 demon for Angel. So that gives Angel 8 vamps, 4 demons, 2 humans.
Doyle; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 1
Angel: 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 5

Characters killed:
Recurring characters killed;
1;

Total number of Angel Investigations:
2, Angel and Cordy

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 5,
Packing heat;
Doyle; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 1?
Angel: 1;Buffy

Kinky dinky:
Wes in motorbiking leathers which are so tight they 'chafe'. He and Cordy share a second kiss, Cordy is sold as a slave for the first time.
Captain Subtext;
Know the face, different character; 2
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters appearing in Angel; (unless someone can correct me no original Angel character ever appears on Buffy?)
6; Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes
Questions and observations;
Another WR&H lackie but this one doesn't become a recurring character. Angel says that vamps don't sleep in coffins but Dracula does. Angel recognises talent when he sees it, Wes' translation skills alone make him invaluable.
Marks out of 10; 7/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread