Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Elite Fan

Angel episode discussion 1x06: Sense and Sensitivity

Kate, (guest star Elisabeth Rohm) hardened by years of police work, enrolls in sensitivity training with her fellow police officers. At first the training appears to be innocuous, but Angel (David Boreanaz) and others begin to notice her excessive emotions.It becomes especially obvious when she pours her heart out at her father's retirement party. Then, the entire police station goes awry. Angel and Doyle (Glenn Quinn) figure out that Kate is in danger because of a recent arrest, and make the connection that the sensitivity teacher is responsible. But after a brief encounter with the teacher, it's Angel who's the new nice guy on the block.At first, Cordelia and Doyle can't deal with the pleasantries,but Angel soon manages to pull himself together and seals the fates of the evil hitmen!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Elite Fan

So much love for this episode! Sensitive Kate and Angel were so funny. Angel's "painbow" line was awesome. And when Doyle and Cordy tried to break in, he was against it because it was "breaking and entering".

So many good quotes:

Angel: "No, Little Tony was planning all along just to kill her himself. Poor guy."
Cordy: "Poor guy?"

Cordy: "Right now. It's time for you to get all vampy - grr! - Kate needs you."
Angel: "I don't want to. You both withdraw when I go vamp. I feel you judge me."
Cordy: "We won't judge you, will we? Give it a try."
Angel: "Closeness is too important to me right now."

Angel: "We should leave a note."
Cordy: "Would you come on?"
Angel: "What's the magic word?"
Cordy: "Urgh!"
Angel: "No, I don't think 'urgh' is the magic word, if one would call it a word. And even then it's certainly not a magic one."
Cordy: "We don't have time for this!"
Angel: "There is always time to be considerate of others, Cordelia."
Cordy: "Oh, please!"
Angel: "See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?"
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Master Fan

i love this episode so much from start to sinish it is fabulous and obviuosly whammied Angel had me rolling and kate...there were secenes that had me laughing so hard but the stuff with her dad broke my heart, this is one of the few episodes i liked kate in.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

Elizabeth Rohm's performance in the bar was very moving.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

it really was it almost made me cry

but then back in the office she had me rolling
Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Sense and sensitivity

The Good;
Very funny to watch the Cops acting supersensitive but also affecting to see Kate's father and all his little putdowns of her and her emotive speech is a heartbreaker if there ever was one

The Bad;
Hard to put your finger on it but sometimes this ep feels almost too clever for it's own good

Best line:
Angel "My parents were great, tasted a lot like chicken" (and as we later learn he's not joking)

Jeez, how did they get away with that?
Nasty the way little Tony keeps calling Kate a bitch

Apocalypses: 4

Angel Cliches
Damsel in distress; yep 3.
Inverting the Hollywood cliche; supersensitive Cops rather than the macho LAPD we're used to seeing
In disguise; 2. yep, Herb Saunders from Baltimore again
DB get's his shirt off; 2
Cordy's tatto;2
We see it when she's breaking into the police station.

Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 4
Wes: 1

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 8
Angel: 7
Wes: 1
Doyle; 1

Kills:
Cordy: none this ep. 3 vamps, ½ a demon from her time in Sunnydale
Angel: 1 demon for Angel. So that gives Angel 8 vamps, 4 demons, 2 humans. It looks like the thing that attacks Fred in Supersymmetry

Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 1
Angel: 1

Alternate Fang Gang: supersensitive Angel
Cordy: 2
Angel: 4

Characters killed: one cop shot although we don't know if he dies?

Total number of Angel Investigations:
3, Angel, Doyle and Cordy

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 5,

Packing heat; unlike the Sunnydale Scoobies Angel Investigations periodically resort to firearms, here Doyle with a shotgun
Doyle; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 1?
Angel: 1;Buffy

Kinky dinky:
Kate wants to picture Angel in his underwear. Kate observes the crush of Doyle on Cordy. One of the Cops states that the stress of his job makes it impossible for him to make love to his wife. AI group hug.

Captain Subtext;
Kate's dad comments that its been so long since he's seen her with a guy he suspected she might be gay. Angel is once more referred to as a 'Nancy boy'. Angel calls CC 'precious'.

Know the face, different character; 1

Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay; Kate's interrogation technique leaves a little something to be desired. Angel beats up another of WR&H's lackey. Trevor comments that in his day they didn't need sensitivity as anyone who read Elmore Leonard knows. Cordy's mum calls for her, one of the few references to her family in the series. Angel uses a mobile phone and night vision. Our first sight of WR&H's HQ and Lee. You've got to hand it to the sensitivity coach, he has a point about Kate and co. How lovely does Kate look in her dress? Rather similar to Dawn's in season 5?

Questions and observations;
Could have been great but just lacks that certain something? Nice to have Kate ask Angel for help and be the focus of the ep. First appearance of Lee. We're later told that WR&H 'own' the police but obviously not yet.
Marks out of 5; 4/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Elite Fan

Because you can be a rainbow instead of a painbow!

Loved this episode.
heartlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Would love to have seen Spike infected by that spell!
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

^ Now that would have been hilarious!

I enjoyed this episode. I love how Cordelia makes a point of Angel never saying thank you or anything. That scene in the bar was heartbreaking for Kate, even if she was affected by the sensitivity spell she obviously came out with those things bottled up inside her against her father. Sensitive Angel was funny, it was so weird to see him act like that I think my favourite part though was when Angel improvised to stop Tony from getting away and just so happed to have that outfit and act and pretend to be someone waiting for a boat, that was great
Reply   Post New Thread