Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Master Fan

How To...: AVATARS

(Short Note: Vi and I are working on this new "How to" help threads, we think it's a great idea to have the help threads separated by features instead of mixing all of them together. This way, whoever has any problem with his/her avatar, can come seek help in here or we can direct people to this thread when a problem appears. So, basically this thread is destined to all of your avatar questions and doubts, therefore feel free to comment on anything).

Now...

Avatars (or Icons, they have several names) are a little form of art. They are, basically, a tiny little picture that captures a moment, and we use them because we like our posts here at Fan Forum to show ourselves as we are by letting people know what we like. In Fan Forum, an avatar is like an identity. That's why we give it so much importance.

This thread is our way to help you understand them a little bit better, and our way to provide you all answers to the most frequently asked questions. You can expect tutorials from our part, or even graphic examples. Just sit tight.

Hi! I'm new. Why can't I get an avatar?

New posters have to wait until they reach 101 posts to get an avatar.

Why? The waiting is too long!

Just think that it could be worse. A while ago you had to wait until you reached 500 posts to get your custom avatar. Think that this is just a way to make things clearer around Fan Forum. If you stick around, you'll get your avatar pretty fast...if you don't ever come back here again...you won't even remember.

I have 101 posts. How do I upload my avatar?

First of all, you need to have the avatr you want saved in your computer, once you've done that...Go to your User Control Panel (User CP), look at the left of the PC screen, right where it says Settings and Options you will find a link that says Edit Avatar you just have to click the link and you will be inmediatly directed to the page where you can upload your avatar.

My avatar isn't working / I can't upload my avatar

First of all, take in mind that sometimes it takes some time for the software to upgrade itself and that the avatar option may take some hours to appear. Other than that make sure you clicked the "Use Custom Avatar" option. Make sure your avatar had the right size. Make sure you are selecting the right avatar...and if you still are unable to upload it, come visit us right here, tell us what your exact problem is, we'll help you out .

Where can I find avatars ready to use?

As we said before, avatars are a very important part of Fan Forum, that's why you will find an specific thread dedicated to them in almost every board here. You can find Avatars in Websites or in Live Journal communities aswell. We recommend you to visit the Home Made Avatars thread at the Webmasters board, where not only you'll find amazing avatars but you will find a very long list of links to sites with avatars.

I don't want to snag any avatars. I want to make them myself!

There are various programs that will help you make avatars, we recommend you here to use Paint Shop Pro, or Photoshop. Every person has their own style and way to do it.

How come I've seen people with less than 100 posts using an Avatar?

As we have mentioned before, posters had the right to have default avatars until they reached 500 posts. When the rules changed, so did the system but it seems that there are posters that never got their options changed and so it is possible that you may bump into a poster with less than 100 posts being able to use an avatar. There's nothing we can do about it, though.

I still have some doubts...

That's normal. This thread is dedicated to avatars, so you can formulate all the questions you have to us, we will try our best to answer them fast and correctly.

Still, I cannot seem to be able to upload an avatar!

We want to stress on the software upgrading itself solution. You will NOT have the option to upload an avatar inmediatly after you make your post number 101. It will take a while. Maybe seconds, maybe minutes, maybe more. We cannot assure you how much it will take, but the option will appear. You just have to be a little patient. And when the option doesn't appear, and you have been patient enough then...worry!

PS. This thread will be topped in the board for some days, to give all posters the chance to get to know it
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"

Last edited by - cris -; 09-15-2006 at 12:58 PM
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the thread Cris!

I hope it'll make things easier for all the posters who asked themselves questions about avatars
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Elite Fan

Hey ^.- Thanks a lot for the thread, I was just about to ask *lol* That really helped me... *hehe*

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Master Fan

Aww, that's so great! I'm glad it was useful for you!
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"
Old 09-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

I'm sure it's also useful for other newbies ^.~I think these How-To threads are a good idea...

enough already.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Master Fan

Thanks! I think they are a very good idea aswell (not because we made it up ), at least we know now newbies read it, maybe they don't answer to it, but they do read it!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to know it's been useful to you
Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thankyou so much! I was just about to ask that. It was a lot of help, thanks again!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great idea! Cris and Vi are the best help you guys can have.

Oh, I think a newbies posts must be 101 before they can upload an av, right?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Elite Fan

Yes, they do. And since there's nothing written about this in the rules, this thread should be kept up ^.-

enough already.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Master Fan

Thanks!

And yeah, that's right, technically it's 101 posts, but I always go and say the 100, just like I always said the 500
Old 10-03-2005, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

Woow! This How to thread is a great idea! I'm sure that this is very helpful for the newbies.

Good job, girls!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Master Fan

Thanks a lot Kasia! We're getting ready some others
Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Master Fan

this was a great idea cris!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

Thank you! I'm glad you guys like it