Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

All of those dialogues you posted are GREAT! Especially the Kirk one.

I wanted to hate Logan at first, I even think the writing was purposefully toying with the audience to form a harsh judgement on him because he was so privileged, but I felt Matt brought so much warmth & charm, it made me think twice & I fell for him as hard as Rory did. Anyway, I do think they used Paris and Lane less this season but they have bigger roles in season 6?

Last edited by Talula78; 11-05-2016 at 09:59 PM
Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Love those exchanges.

I'm on season 5 now. I'm currently watching 5x03. I just saw Logan's introduction. Colin was such an ass to Marty. Ugh.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:58 AM
Elite Fan

I've always hated Colin. I liked Finn, he was crazy.

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 11-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Yeah, Colin was an ass there.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

Tbh, I don’t pay enough attention to Logan’s friends to even be able to differentiate Finn from Colin. But, judging from your comments, Colin was the extra jerky one who deliberately ran into Marty in 5.03? Not a fan of him either, at least not in that scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
I wanted to hate Logan at first, I even think the writing was purposefully toying with the audience to form a harsh judgement on him because he was so privileged, but I felt Matt brought so much warmth & charm, it made me think twice & I fell for him as hard as Rory did. Anyway, I do think they used Paris and Lane less this season but they have bigger roles in season 6?
Matt really is great at giving Logan something a little extra. Though I liked him the first time round, I thought that might change during my rewatch because he started off kinda Tristan-esque and Tristan mostly annoyed me during my rewatch. But, so far at least, I’m still liking him. He's very charismatic. Lane and Paris really didn’t have much going for them this season, so hopefully the next is better. Though I’m already dreading some of Lane’s future sls. Was not a fan of the marriage-and-kids thing for her.

Binged my way to the end of the season:

- Though there hasn’t been much Lane this season, the finale had a subplot for Lane, Mrs. Kim and the band, which I loved. Mrs. Kim encouraging Lane to continue with the band and booking them a tour was adorable. And I always love it when there are slightly parallel stories between the Gilmores and the Kims. Lane and Rory both giving up on there dreams at the same time with their mothers trying to persuade them otherwise was nice.

- I also really loved that ep where Lane, Paris and Rory all hung out is SH. Their sls might have been a bit too boy-trouble-centered, but it’s always nice to see all three of them together. Should happen more often.

- The ep with Lane, Paris and Rory was also the SH historical museum ep. That sl was nice and funny too. Also liked the gag with Lorelai acting like a mother to Kirk and Paris in the same ep.

- I know later seasons Rory is a bit of a base breaker, but I’ve been enjoying her sls so far. Slight moral transgression (cheating with Dean) and dumb moves (taking rich ppl’s property is not a moral transgression as far as I’m concerned, but it does have consequences) weren’t inevitable but I’m ok with them being part of her character arc. Dropping out of Yale I can’t help but be more upset with her about, but I guess I can see where she’s coming from to an extent at least.

- Wasn’t a fan of the writing for Lorelai in 5.14. I don’t mind characters being down about their romantic lives, but I prefer it in smaller does. Made me feel like I was watching oth, where all characters ever do is crave romance/nuclear family and talk about The Ones. The ending of the ep kinda redeemed it a bit though.

- Don’t like how Luke was written in 5.16. I love grumpy and moody Luke, but they went overboard with making him a violent jerk. That’s not who his character is imo.

- All in all, LL post break-up angst was more compelling for me when LL were acting more like themselves and not characters from some over the top melodrama. Glad it didn’t last long.

- Rory/Logan are mostly cute and fun this season. I can see why I liked them even back when I was super invested in Rory/Jess. (Still like RJ too, just not as much as I used to. I’m kinda team enjoy-all-or-Rory’s-relationships-but-hope-she-ends-up-single-and-happy now, I guess.)

- I like Rory/Marty friendship and I don’t like that the writers decided to have him be in love with her. Even without that boring angle, they still could have had a fall out over Rory becoming closer to Logan and his crowd, which would obviously make Marty uncomfortable and maybe even a bit resentful because of how these ppl treat him.

- “We're better than this, you and me. We're the children of Emma Goldman and Hillary Clinton. Strong, independent. We're better than this.” Ew. I'm not going to pretend I have in depth knowledge of Emma Goldman's writings and activism, but I'm pretty sure she shouldn't be put in the same category with someone who endorses capitalism and imperialism. Ew again.

- Unfortunately I’ve already forgotten many lines and dialogues I like during the eps. The only thing that stuck are the following Taylor bits from the SH historical museum exhibition.
Quote:
TAYLOR'S VOICE: Remember the sixties? The town of Stars Hollow does! What a headache! A veritable dark age, culminating in a sit-in that gathered over a thousand freaks from the Tri-county area.
Quote:
[Lorelai joins Sookie.]
LORELAI: What's this?
SOOKIE: Modern life in Stars Hollow.
[The light is shining on a family around a breakfast table. The mother is standing at the stove.]
MAN: Great breakfast, mother.
BOY: Yeah, you've done it again, mom!
WOMAN: I just love serving breakfast to my family.
GIRL: And I love Jesus!
That recent interview where Dan called Taylor “our sort of right-wing, oblivious guy that is really, really fun to write for” definitely came to mind while I was rewatching those. '60s counterculture as "the dark age" and modern life in SH being embodied in a creepy traditional family. These could obviously only come from Taylor's mind.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I loved seeing Paris, Rory, and Lane hanging out. I wish we could have seen that more often.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay (View Post)
I loved seeing Paris, Rory, and Lane hanging out. I wish we could have seen that more often.
I agree. It's like two worlds colliding, but I liked it!

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 11-09-2016, 12:34 AM
Obsessed Fan

Maybe we see more of them together in the revival, at least a little bit.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Maybe. We can hope.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
- Wasn’t a fan of the writing for Lorelai in 5.14. I don’t mind characters being down about their romantic lives, but I prefer it in smaller does. Made me feel like I was watching oth, where all characters ever do is crave romance/nuclear family and talk about The Ones. The ending of the ep kinda redeemed it a bit though.

- Don’t like how Luke was written in 5.16. I love grumpy and moody Luke, but they went overboard with making him a violent jerk. That’s not who his character is imo.

- All in all, LL post break-up angst was more compelling for me when LL were acting more like themselves and not characters from some over the top melodrama. Glad it didn’t last long.
I have quite the opposite opinion on this. Specifically in Say Something, I loved seeing how heartbroken Lorelai was and how she completely fell apart after their breakup. It was clear she was also overwhelmed by the town picking sides with the ribbons everywhere and the overlying fact that her mom was the one who orchestrated this whole thing. I don't expect any less of Christopher because he was always weak but him too, he was still her friend.

I think it was important for us to see Lorelai completely devastated. It truly showed the impact Luke had on her life. This was the first time where she didn't run like she has in many of her past relationships. He was the supposed to be the one. I mean, he is the one.

And not to bring up S6 while we're just talking about S5 but that heartache is reflected with Lorelai's breakdown to the therapist in the car. She loves Luke, so much. More than she ever has another man. Which brings me back to the fact that her breakdown was completely in character during their breakup post WBB.

It did remind me slightly of the time when she showed up at Max's doorstep telling her she missed him. Lorelai feels so deeply.

I also love that Rory comes to help Lorelai wallow like Lorelai did for Rory when she broke up with Dean in S1.

I do agree that they made Luke a little too irritable, they could've refrained from having him actually throw people out of the diner.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

I definitely see your point about Lorelai in 5.14. I agree it made sense given that, as you mentioned, 1) LL are pretty much the show’s otp and their break up would naturally be given more screentime and seriousness than any other 2) Emily’s and Chris’s involvement would make the situation harder for Lorelai given her close and complicated relationship with both of them 3) Lorelai has always been openly emotive. It’s just that for me personally it was a bit too much of that in one ep. I would have preferred it if they kept it one-scene-long. Like when Rory cried about Dean in s1 (I do love the parallel with the two of them helping each other with the break ups too), Jess in s3 and Logan in s5. Though I understand why they chose not to.

On an unrelated note, is it just me or is Emily turning against Luke and LL this season a bit inconsistent with the earlier seasons? I mean, I would say it’s in character of Emily to not be too fond of Luke, especially not with her daughter, given she is definitely an elitist. But in earlier seasons she occasionally made comments about how LL were more than friends and even that they would eventually get married. And she wasn’t disparaging at all, she sounded like she would approve of that.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
On an unrelated note, is it just me or is Emily turning against Luke and LL this season a bit inconsistent with the earlier seasons? I mean, I would say it’s in character of Emily to not be too fond of Luke, especially not with her daughter, given she is definitely an elitist. But in earlier seasons she occasionally made comments about how LL were more than friends and even that they would eventually get married. And she wasn’t disparaging at all, she sounded like she would approve of that.
I agree. In S1, she wanted Lorelai to be honest with her on if she had any feelings for Luke during that one FND (she said, "maybe I do"). And when Luke drove Lorelai to the hospital Emily called them both idiots for just being friends. Emily never seemed impressed then but she didn't seem like she would get in the way of their relationship had they ever started one. Or maybe she just figured they would never have one. It was when Lorelai held the wedding dress in front of her that Emily had the major freakout so maybe she figure Luke would've just been a fling it something every emerged with L/L but it was so much more serious than that.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay (View Post)
Love those exchanges.

I'm on season 5 now. I'm currently watching 5x03. I just saw Logan's introduction. Colin was such an ass to Marty. Ugh.
I never understood why Rory wanted to be friends with them after that, and even in one episode wanting both her and Marty to hang out with them, it felt really awkward. Logan was actually all right with Marty IMO and not meaning to be a jerk about Marty working for him, but Colin definitely came across as privileged and superior

And yeah I always felt like they went a bit overboard with writing Emily as the villain in season 5, I know that she would have preferred Lorelai to be with Christopher, and I could buy her acting like a snob at the dinner with Luke, but it just didn't seem in character for her to actively scheme to break Luke and Lorelai up. If anything she was always very aware of not doing anything that might drive Lorelai away. I was surprised at Luke wearing jeans to FND though, you'd have thought Lorelai might have mentioned that they were quite fancy affairs, and he needed to dress up more than that. But then he was wearing his baseball cap and flannel to Richard's country club, so at least he lost the hat for FND I suppose
Old 11-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
And yeah I always felt like they went a bit overboard with writing Emily as the villain in season 5, I know that she would have preferred Lorelai to be with Christopher, and I could buy her acting like a snob at the dinner with Luke, but it just didn't seem in character for her to actively scheme to break Luke and Lorelai up. If anything she was always very aware of not doing anything that might drive Lorelai away. I was surprised at Luke wearing jeans to FND though, you'd have thought Lorelai might have mentioned that they were quite fancy affairs, and he needed to dress up more than that. But then he was wearing his baseball cap and flannel to Richard's country club, so at least he lost the hat for FND I suppose
I feel like Luke wanted them understand that that was who he was and he didn't need to become someone else to be with Lorelai, that's not what she wanted. Lorelai was happy with Luke the way he was (even though he dresses like a lumberjack most of the time). It wasn't about money or class, it was simply about love. It's also just possible that he really didn't care. We have seen Luke dress up on the occasion for important things.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-17-2016, 02:47 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by just stand still (View Post)
I feel like Luke wanted them understand that that was who he was and he didn't need to become someone else to be with Lorelai, that's not what she wanted. Lorelai was happy with Luke the way he was (even though he dresses like a lumberjack most of the time). It wasn't about money or class, it was simply about love. It's also just possible that he really didn't care. We have seen Luke dress up on the occasion for important things.
It's also so funny, speaking of money -- I was just listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast, and they mentioned how Emily was so appalled with Luke because he seems so low class, but Luke actually has SO much money! 100k to buy the building next to him, money to invest in the inn, etc. It would've been hilarious for them to bring that up in season 5, the fact that Luke is basically secretly a millionaire, and see Emily's reaction
Closed Thread   Post New Thread