Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Oy with the poodles

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshapir2 (View Post)
I noticed in pilot that Lorelai tells the guy at the diner that Rory is 16. She wasn't sixteen until a few weeks later when she had her birthday. I would have thought she would have told the guy she was 15. I think the writers had Rory driving by herself, so maybe that was the reason they changed their minds. They probably thought they could keep her in school longer by being a sophomore than turning 17 and being a junior
the show wasn't always consistent when it came to character's ages i.e. Rory and Jess

You know, Ernest only has lovely things to say about you

atwoodsmariano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great gifs!

I still gotta watch.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Elite Fan

I watched it the other night instead of posting here, sorry. I also tweeted a bit about it. I love love LOVE those pilot gifs you posted, atwoodsmariano!!!

Since I'm lazy I'm just going to copy/paste my pilot reaction from our rewatch years ago over here because I was going through it and pretty much had the same reaction this time around.

I really do love the pilot now. When I first watched it I didn't really know what to think about the show but after getting to know the characters going back and seeing all of their relationships develop, especially the beginning awkward estrangement between Emily/Richard/Lorelai and Rory's awkwardness around Dean at first (gotta love the rambling! ), you just fall in love with them all over again!

Love Lorelai's comment about pulling a bank job! I say stuff like that all the time talking to people over the phone & when people buy it, it's funny, but when they don't it's the most uncomfortable conversation. lol Love how they light Lorelai's face at the end of that scene & segue into the song before she visits her parents to ask for $$. I really was so taken aback by how beautiful Lauren Graham was by that scene alone.

Love Patty's introduction, "fingers in the air, not in the nose." lol

Aww, Lorelai really wants the best for her daughter and doesn't want to see her go down the same road as herself and not live up to her potential.

Sookie: "you can take it out of my paycheck followed by, "I can't afford a new stove, those things are expensive!" Aww, Sookie! Melissa was so good in this role!

Yay, the first family Friday night dinner! Oy, Emily & her snarky little comments, she just can't resist putting her 2 cents in.

"And pie"...love that line! lol That scene in the kitchen between Emily/Lorelai was so good! So much backstory explained & established in one scene and they played it to perfection. You could see both of them so hurt by each other's decisions and you understand both of their positions and why they have been so estranged.

Love how they bookended the pilot in Luke's Diner & the little looks they both exchanged each other. You knew Luke & Lorelai were endgame right there IMO.

"Coffee, in a vat" Classic! That's a line I use to this day.

Hmm, I'll watch the 2nd episode later tonight & comment and then will probably have time to watch the 2nd & 3rd epis tomorrow as well before work. God, I love this show so much, I'm glad I'm rewatching it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgfan (View Post)
Rory to Lorelai- "You're happy. Did you do something ****ty?". Lorelai- "I'm not that happy". Right away we get a look into this different mother/daughter dynamic.

The look on Lorelai's face when she goes to see her parents.

Kelly Bishop and her looks of disdain and disapproval- priceless. I love all scenes at the Gilmore house.

Lorelai to Luke, "I had a flagellation to go to".
^^Love all of this! I forget how many great scenes were in the pilot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamywriter19 (View Post)
And oh, how I love Emily and Richard, as well as their relationship with the girls. They were extremely unlikeable at times, but I don't think I ever doubted how much they loved Lorelai and how hurt they were when she moved away. Such extraordinary performances from Kelly and Edward.
And the end? "Rory, you don't want to grow up to be like your mother." "Sorry. Too late." Awwww
Yes, yes! I grew to really love the dynamic between the generations. Sometimes it was hard to put up with Lorelai's indignant treatment toward her parents, but they are a bit trying so I don't blame her entirely! And I thought Kelly & Richard did such superb jobs with their roles as you've said, Caro.
Talula78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I decided to rewatch this pilot today. Its been 4 years since I last rewatched and thought it would be fun. I dont know if I am going to continue because everything felt pretty familiar but we will see. I do really like season 1 and I love the fall feel. Summer is coming to an end and it puts me in such a good mood.

The pilot was okay, I think it was intriguing enough to keep watching if you were a first time viewer. It was a TAD slow storyline wise in parts because things seemed to just be continuous with no jumps or anything of the sort. But there were some good SL's.

I think the most intriguing part was the relationship with Lorelei and her parents. You def wanted to know what happened with them in the past. Which the episode explained pretty well. I think it was safe to assume her getting pregnant at 16 probably didn't help things. And they wanted her to get married when she didn't want that. To me, I saw Lorelei's POV more because her parents seemed really passive aggressive. But it does sound like Lorelei sort of just wanted to build her own family and abandoned her parents. So I can see both sides.

Rory freaking out on Lorelei after meeting Dean was a tad weird but I guess we are to assume that this was the first guy that was really interested in her. Jared was so cute here and what he said about noticing Rory was sweet. I am glad that Rory decided to go to Chilton regardless of her feelings.

I think in general the show just felt a bit odd right off the bat because it felt like it kinda started in the middle, but I think the characters were so charming that it still worked. The relationship between Rory and Lorelei was really cute. I also love their connection with Luke and the diner, it brings everything together imo.

Last edited by Alexa; 08-13-2019 at 11:34 PM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think it's been a long while since I've watched the pilot.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Oy with the poodles

Moderator of ...
Movies

I just re-watched Concert Interruptus again

one of my favorite S1 eps

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Elite Fan

Aww yay for revisiting the pilot! I agree with you on most everything you’ve said. When I first watched the series I didn’t get hooked until the fourth episode or so.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 PM
Oy with the poodles

Moderator of ...
Movies

the pilot already drew me in to the world and show with the opening scene

Old 08-16-2019, 01:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think it was episode 3 or 4 that drew me in? Whatever was the one with the deer... I really love that episode.

102:

The whole Lorelai outfit and rambling was really funny. I think I appreciate this show a lot more now that I older watching it. It's more humorous. Emily teasing Lorelai about it was amazing, she def. has that gilmore humor. I wish Lor would accept help from her mom a bit more though. However, Emily does tend to overstep her bounds and I can see how her shoveling money at Rory makes Lor feel like her mother is being condescending about her finances.

The headmaster is such a jerk. Paris and the girls were fun though and brought something interesting to the show. Paris interrogating Rory was so ridiculous. I also liked Tristan. CHADDDD. He was so hot back then. "Helloooo Mary!" OMG.

The Luke/Lorelai banter was so funny. It was cute that Lor asked if he was cute and we can see the early seeds being planted there.

Patty is a great side character so far, shes got some funny moments.

All in all, a good episode. Stronger than the pilot... not sure. If I were watching as a first time I def. wouldnt have been hooked yet but intrigued.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Elite Fan

Haha yes! Emily ribbing Lorelai about that hideous outfit was too funny! Considering it was 10 years ago that I first watched this show I definitely appreciate it even more now that I’m in my 40s.

Luke and Lorelai were always the main draw of the show for me. Their connection was instantaneous and kept building and building over the seasons.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Luke and Lorelai finally getting together is what drew me back to the show.

I'm sure I saw the chemistry in S1 when I first watched.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

I’m a shipper so I’m always watching for chemistry between characters. They had it right off the bat & I haven’t looked back since. I just wished I would have been watching the show as it aired but I’m not sure I could’ve withstood all the drama within the fandom. I can’t take it with Younger I’m realizing.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top