Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozeninside (View Post)
I can't wait to read Anna Karenina, it's actually in my line up for up and coming reads.
I bought that book at the beginning of the summer because I really want to read it, but I have yet to get past the first page. I also have The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand that I want to read but they are both so long and I don't have a lot of spare time
Old 11-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I can't wait to read Anna Karenina, it's actually in my line up for up and coming reads.
I bought that book at the beginning of the summer because I really want to read it, but I have yet to get past the first page. I also have The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand that I want to read but they are both so long and I don't have a lot of spare time.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Mareike, was that easy to understand? Cause I want to read it, but I might try in English... I've finally made up my mind to read in English, at the moment, I"m reading "A long way down" By nick hornby, and I don't know what I"ll read next... I have to start with easy ones, so any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline73 (View Post)
Mareike, was that easy to understand? Cause I want to read it, but I might try in English... I've finally made up my mind to read in English, at the moment, I"m reading "A long way down" By nick hornby, and I don't know what I"ll read next... I have to start with easy ones, so any suggestions?
What's your first language?
"The Catcher in the Rye" shouldn't be too difficult, and that's definitely a classic to me.

icon by NikitaWitter
Old 11-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm French

Catcher in the Rye is written in a "spoken" language, so that should bea easy to understand... I'll see if it's available at the library, but I already read the French translation, so it seems like a waste of my precious reading time!

Maybe I'll try "of mice and men". I'm so disappointed though, we studied a text taken from the book in English class, and my teacher gave us the whole summary... and if you wanted to read it? too bad! BTW, we're watching the movie, and guess who's playing Curley's wife? Sherylinn Fenn! I was hard not to laugh during the class!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

We read it in class 10 (Animal farm). Our teacher asked us if we really wanted to, because usually it was stuff for the 11 grade, but we wanted to read it with him since he was only there for one more year and well he said it would be a bit difficult, but I thought it was okay.

Avi by Valerie
Old 11-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Fan

Try Waiting for Godot!It's a play,it's simple and not so long!I've read it for my exam and I enjoyed it so much! Beckett is simply a genius!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Absolute Fan

1984 by George Orwell was such a good book. I defiantly recommend it!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Elite Fan

I would like to participate in the book challenge. But no way am I starting with Moby Dick. I'll pick something else from her list if that's okay.
-Safe
Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelbh (View Post)
I would like to participate in the book challenge. But no way am I starting with Moby Dick. I'll pick something else from her list if that's okay.
Sure! For the book lovers fanlisting also?

icon by NikitaWitter
Old 11-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbel (View Post)
Sure! For the book lovers fanlisting also?
Absolutely! Do you guys know what your next book is goona be?

Have Lauren or Alexis ever recommended a book in an interview that you've read?
-Safe
Old 11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Extreme Fan

ETA
Quote:
I read the first post, I love it! Please add me to both of the lists! especially the first one, it's so true!
Added you to both. I love it too, I'm having fun doing the thread and I'm looking forward to the discussions!
Quote:
Rory kind of helped me with that, I love reading, but I'm 16 and it's not really seen as the best thing to make you popular at school if you see what I mean I was so afraid of what the other people would say if they saw me reading, and now, partly thanks to Rory, I passed beyond that, and I really don't care about that anymore, which is a big thing to me...
I know very well what you mean. Allthough I've always been a bookworm (not only since I know Rory), but she gave me confidence to be proud of it! I'm sure Amy Sherman - Palladino would be very proud to read what you wrote here! That's surely a big part why she wrote Rory like that, because a character of a popular tv show inspires its viewers to be like the character; they idolise the character. Which probably happened for a lot of people with Rory. And I'm sure even grandma's who don't want children to watch so much tv, would approve of Rory! So Rory really is a good influence and idol in tv!
Quote:
There was a thread here on the board, but I don't think anyone started it again since the major crash in April (was that in April? can't remember!)
That's ok, I wouldn't remember either. Oh right. I didn't really post on FF back then.
Quote:
Having a challenge each month does seem interesting!! I'll definitely participate, next week, I'll borrow Moby Dick at the library! Though, since it's the beginning, I suggest this challenge would be for december instead of nowember... so that we have time to find other people who'd like to participate, and also, Moby Dick's a long one! I read fast, but still! What do you say?
No hurry, I don't know if I'll actually manage to read Moby Dick, but I'll definitely try. And I changed it to December. If we see that we're not even half way through the book then, we can still delay it to any time! We have all the time in the world to do this! As long as we do it and enjoy it!
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I already use that to watch TV shows, but we can make it work!
Wow, I really adore your enthusiasm!
Quote:
I remember asking about this kind of thread here a little while ago, but they couldn't find the old one. Thanks for starting it up again. I'm going to see if I can read all of her books. Even if it's not the certain book for a month I'm going to still see if I can do her list, form what I have saw of it I already have read a nice few of them already.
Cool! I'm jealous of that! I hardly have time... But I do my best! You're welcome. Looking forward to hear your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephrox (View Post)
I've read some of MOby Dick for school last year - its kind of hard to understand sometimes but im sure you all would get some enjoyment out of it.
It doesn't sound like it's gonna be my favourite book, but you don't know until you try!
Quote:
As for Mark Twain - Well i've read The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn and it was okay...
Only ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareike (View Post)
Great thread. And great idea. Unfortunately I don't have time now to read and my friend read Moby Dick and wasn't thrilled of it - but I always wanted to read Anna Karenina - maybe I can squeeze that one in when you're reading it.
Yeah I've always wanted to read that too, but it's such a fat book! Rory read that in Season 3, so it'll be a while until we come to that, you're lucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss GoodManners (View Post)
Great idea! I love reading,too! BTW,now I don't have so much now,however I've just finished Ten little ******* by Agatha Christie and I think it's just fantastic! I suggest it to every detective-stories lover!
Unfortunately, I'm not into crime/dedective books at all, never was, and I don't think I'll ever be. Sorry about that! A bit a weird title, eh?
Quote:
I tried to read Moby Dick last year,but I'm still stuck at 2/3 of it! It's great,but a bit "heavy" if you don't know so much about ships and whales!
I don't! It'll be interesting.
Quote:
So I was just reading again the list from the WB I printed, and here are the ones I read and would recommend, just thought I should share:
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë) (ok, you didn't need me for that one... )
No I didn't One of my top favourite books
Quote:
The Great Gatsby (FS Fitzgerald)
Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)
1984 (George Orwell)
Sun rises also (Ernest Hemingway)
Thanks for those, I added them. I saved that list as well, and will add all the titles when I find the time
Quote:
uhm, interesting... I'll see if I can do something about it, me and my crazy ideas for videos! I have like the perfect song... except that the lyrics are in french.. so it won't be great to use.. if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to give it a try! (I guess it'll be instrumental...)
That doesn't matter if the lyrics are in french! God how much that would crack me up, that would be sensational! Instrumental's good too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss GoodManners (View Post)
1984 is great! I read it last year,but I prefer Animal farm!
I would suggest Dubliners by Joyce,too! I've read it 3 times and it's always wonderful,specially the last story!
You have me intrigued! Another great book to read
Quote:
I think the vid would be fantastic!BTW,I've no ideas for a song!
We'll think of something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareike (View Post)
Such a video would be great. And Animal farm is great too - even read it in english.
Where are you from then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS41787 (View Post)
I bought that book at the beginning of the summer because I really want to read it, but I have yet to get past the first page. I also have The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand that I want to read but they are both so long and I don't have a lot of spare time
I know that feeling. Suddenly you wonder: "Where has summer gone?!"
Quote:
I'm French
Where about's in France? I'm Swiss! But I go to College in England since about 2 months - I love it!
BTW: How do you speak such fantastic English then? Is one of your parents english - speaking? That's the case with me.
Quote:
Catcher in the Rye is written in a "spoken" language, so that should bea easy to understand... I'll see if it's available at the library, but I already read the French translation, so it seems like a waste of my precious reading time!
Waste your time, you're young! I'm joking. I know what you mean.
Quote:
Maybe I'll try "of mice and men". I'm so disappointed though, we studied a text taken from the book in English class, and my teacher gave us the whole summary... and if you wanted to read it? too bad! BTW, we're watching the movie, and guess who's playing Curley's wife? Sherylinn Fenn! I was hard not to laugh during the class!
Why's that so funny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelbh (View Post)
Ofcourse. Again, I might not read it as well. Seems a bit heavy... But classics have to be read
Quote:
Have Lauren or Alexis ever recommended a book in an interview that you've read?
Haven't heard of many interviews where they mention books. But I do remember Lauren Graham saying she was a very bookish child and teenager, rather like Rory, and always takes a book with her. So in real life, it's the other way round! (LG being the bookish one)

icon by NikitaWitter

Last edited by Xbel; 11-12-2006 at 05:06 PM
Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Quote:
As for Mark Twain - Well i've read The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn and it was okay...
Only ok?
I thought it was great. Though the last few chapters fizzle a bit. I actually prefer The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain but it's younger and not as much of a classic. It's such a fun book though.
without alcohol.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkirk7 (View Post)
I thought it was great. Though the last few chapters fizzle a bit. I actually prefer The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain but it's younger and not as much of a classic. It's such a fun book though.
Those are books I want to read as well.
Oh my freaking god, your avi rules the world! Is it from "The Great Stink" when Logan surprises Rory on the roof top?

icon by NikitaWitter
Old 11-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbel (View Post)
Those are books I want to read as well.
Oh my freaking god, your avi rules the world! Is it from "The Great Stink" when Logan surprises Rory on the roof top?
They're both pretty fast reads (especially Tom Sawyer). I would imagine they're both much easier to read then some of the ones talked about on this thread so far. I wish I could participate in the challenge. I don't have much time to read for fun though. Maybe I can do the first one since I'm on break for school and try to do as much as I can. I could use some motivation to read again.

I my avi. When I found it I squeed for like two minutes straight. Yup. It's from "The Great Stink."
without alcohol.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread