Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

I didn't see it that way, I felt she was making poor decisions but that was very much IN character for her. Hell, that's just being human to me and making mistakes and struggling along the way. She's still smart, well read, has a tendency to freak out when everything goes against "the plan", just because we didn't get to see her head in a book all the time or her being uber successful, she's still Rory to me. Different strokes I suppose.
Talula78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Moderator Support Team

I do agree that she's known for making bad choices, I mean we all do that at one point, but the point of making bad choices is that you learn from them...

I just find it an odd thought to think that ROry may have been struggling all those years we didn't see her..
Karen ღ Icon by: room to breathe
Eternal Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
I didn't see it that way, I felt she was making poor decisions but that was very much IN character for her. Hell, that's just being human to me and making mistakes and struggling along the way. She's still smart, well read, has a tendency to freak out when everything goes against "the plan", just because we didn't get to see her head in a book all the time or her being uber successful, she's still Rory to me. Different strokes I suppose.
Completely agree with this. Rory gets so much hate in the revival, but I think everything she did was in character. She made mistakes and she was screwing up at times, but not ooc to me, but I can see how people argue otherwise I'm really glad with Rory's journey this time around, especially with her dealing with Richard's death. Alexis played it perfectly.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | The Good Wife | Charmed | Veronica Mars | Damages | Brothers & Sisters | The Newsroom | One Tree Hill | Game of Thrones | Bones | The Closer | How to get away with Murder | Fringe | The OC | Desperate Housewives | Homeland | Pretty Little Liars | & more |
Xbox One Tag: Alwayshappyz | Wii U tag: Alwayshappyz
Alwayshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
I do agree that she's known for making bad choices, I mean we all do that at one point, but the point of making bad choices is that you learn from them...
Making bad choices when you're a teenager and in college is also completely different than being 32 and having your life still in shambles because you never learned to grow up. Also, that's not specifically a character trait, that's just being human.
just stand still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 AM
Passionate Fan

I agree that age makes a difference. But it’s also true that some ppl just don’t get their lives together despite being adults. Even if they seemed very responsible and sensible in their youth, like Rory did. It could just be a stage. It could be more permanent. I hope it’s former with Rory because I like happy endings (by which I don’t mean the typical marriage + babies + career, but just the character being in control of their life and content with it), but the latter wouldn’t be unrealistic either and it doesn't make me hate Rory as a character.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 AM
Moderator Support Team

It's not unrealistic... but I wanted more then that for Rory
There are not too many happy times on the revival.. and I think it hurt!

I did love the pain of missing her grandpa.
Like coming at the Gilmore's house and touching the painting and saying 'Hey grandpa' very endearing!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Elite Fan

^ That was a nice scene.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Moderator Support Team

I think one of my favs because it was so simple

http://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/Fu...ledel-42784670
Old 12-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
I did love the pain of missing her grandpa.
Like coming at the Gilmore's house and touching the painting and saying 'Hey grandpa' very endearing!
That was one of the most emotional scenes, I was bawling like a freakin baby during it! But so touching and poignant and served their relationship and their moments as a family really well.
Talula78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Elite Fan

(x)
just stand still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Moderator Support Team

Haha he is right about that

Rory actually dealt with the loss quite well
Old 12-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Like a said everyone deals with grief in their own way! I thought Rory was in character. After all we don't know what her life was like 9 years ago. Maybe it was more structured especially being on a campaign. They told you the schedule and what you had to do and who you had to talk to meet with and call.

So if she worked on the campaign for a good 2 years then after stayed doing freelance work. Then maybe she went back to the campaign for the second term.

More travel and set schedule.

Mean while her friends were setting up their careers getting married and having kids.

So Rory works writing for a while and gets some amazing articles published. Soon she thinks she is getting her big break but her client is a basket-case and she can't get ahead and is stuck in internship mode. It makes sense why she would be acting the way she was when she was 32.

She didn't have a permeant address because of the travel the jobs she is offered are not what she wants. Believe me sometimes you go on an interview and see that it is not a good fit. The line story she took because she was desperate. The online blog company was not a good fit. I felt too like Rory was an old soul and the fast pace world of a tech blog did not fit her or the ideas she wanted to write about. I think she felt like she had to write about trendy things to get ahead in that company.

Then her Grandpa dies and her whole world stops. She even forget she had a boyfriend Paul because she was foucused on her career and surpressing her grief.

Logan was safe and we all know Rory when her world is different she jumps to her safe place. She did this with Dean when she was in college. college was a different world. Jess told her he loved her and was stable and ready to be with her. But she wanted to finish college and be in her safe place.

So she gets with Dean who is married she breaks up his marriage and then moves on to Logan because her Grandparetns approve of him and Dean feels he is out of her league.

Years later it is no different. She is stressed about work and she goes to Logan who is engaged but she knows he is safe he is someone from her past.

So Rory acting the way she was reminded me of Rory in season 4.

Plus her Grandfather died the only real father figure in her life. So I fel that Rory was in character to some extent.

Writing the book was a good way for her to get her greif out and maybe help her with her new life. It was stable and the subject was safe.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Roswell 10/2/00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Loyal Fan

I liked Rory's development. I liked, that she wasn't this perfect highly successful and highly moral woman. I liked her flaws.

Rory had nice childhood (although without father) in idyllic town, she has received a lot of love and she has even received some privileges too. But there were also expectations: Lorelai wanted to give everything she didn't have, her grandparents saw her as their second chance for perfect daughter.
Even fans and audience wanted a role model.

But Rory is deeply flawed character (more flawed than Lorelai and Emily - and they are flawed too). She didn't become a role model, she crumbled under expectations. She represents younger highly educated, but sometimes lost generation.

Last edited by tanaja; 12-05-2016 at 03:04 PM
tanaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 AM
Elite Fan

I agree with the above two posts. Just because you do well in school, doesn't mean you have what it takes to be successful in life. And in a field where the competition in huge, it takes a lot to be the best. And Rory was always told she was the best by her family. But the one time someone outside of her family told her she didn't have it, she sank very low.

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne - Twitter | Instagram
pinkpaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

I agree as well. And exactly, Yvonne.

Thanks for the link, Karen. It is easy to forget that Alexis is Latina.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top