Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2016, 02:33 AM
  #46
Addicted Fan

 
Slayerette89's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,271
Alexis seems really sweet in interviews. And love that she decided to give a shout out to minor characters when he asked her about her faves. Especially Ceasar, whose scenes I found very endearing in the later seasons (i.e. when he was played by the second actor, the first one barely had any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
The cheating felt OOC for me, despite realising she is in a point of her life where she's clueless on everything. But despite her kissing other guys in past relationships, well mostly kissing Jess when with Dean/Logan she hasn't done that...
Yes she slept with Dean (but she thought they were divorcing and was caught in the moment) not that I approve but this feels more thought of, it's planned. I didn't think she'd ever do that.
I see your point. Spur-of-the-moment kiss or sex is, in a way at least, different from a long-lasting affair.

For me, Rory cheating, in any capacity, didn’t feel occ, but the complete lack of remorse did. She didn’t exactly treat Dean right back in s2/3, but at least she acknowledged that and felt guilty about it. I guess we didn’t see anything similar with Paul because the writers only wanted him around for the comic effect. They also didn’t really delve into Rory’s feelings about Odette. Maybe she tried to pretend Odette doesn’t exist (she probably never met her and Logan didn't seem to see her often either). Maybe she justified cheating on her in a similar way she initially did with Lindsay (if she thought of Odette as a trophy wife that Logan's family pushed him towards). Idk. We can only speculate because nothing was firmly established in canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
Plus the way she treated that online magazine, the respect she didn't have for the interview, the opportunity or the recline she got and her response. It didn't feel like Rory to speak so rudely..
I liked the online magazine sl because it imo drove home the point about Rory’s entitlement and gave her the wake-up call she needed. She didn’t prepare for the interview at all because she expected to be given the job automatically. When she ended up being rejected by the place she thought she was too good for, her first reaction was an angry outburst. Once she calmed down a little bit, she could see that she was in the wrong.

However, given Rory used to prepare thoroughly for everything and wasn’t prone to lashing out at complete strangers, I can see how it might come off as occ behavior serving the current sl. (And the sl was needed because Amy and/or Dan have something against unemployed 30-year olds and think they are mostly entitled brats [Rory] and/or losers [30-something gang] of middle-to-upper class background who aren't trying hard enough? Probably not. But I guess the portrayal of unemployment ticked me off a little bit, the way portrayal of cheating ticked off others, lol.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
Plus where was her love of books? Didn't catch one..
Me neither. I was wondering if I just missed some subtle Rory/books moments or there truly wasn’t a single one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
But here's the thing, history won't repeat itself because Rory's story will be completely different from Lorelai's as she's an entirely different person. Sure, there's a familiar parallel, but there's still so much variation to be had in Rory's future SL for me to even consider a direct parallel. Sorry, direct correllations like that don't make sense because too many variables enter into the equation to change the outcome. (sorry, that's my scientific mind's response )
Exactly, Rory’s personality and circumstances are very different from Lorelai’s. And lol, Luke could have really used your help with deciphering April's letter that he received in Winter (if I remember correctly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by t hedge coke (View Post)
I think Logan was "regressing," in that relationship, too. I got the sense he was hiding out from his family, his dynasty role, and his wife-to-be by having "Vegas" with his college sweetheart. He's hiding his fiancee's stuff from Rory, or at least, promises he wouldn't leave it anywhere she could see, but I've got to wonder how much of that is also for himself; protecting the illusion, the fantasy.
Though that is a less optimistic development for Logan than the one he got in s7 (especially the part where he decides he wants to be like Lorelai and break away from his family in a meaningful way) and therefore more disappointing for fans who like the character (myself included), it does make sense.
Slayerette89 is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 AM
  #47
Moderator Support Team

 
Eternal Flame's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 138,505
Quote:
and drinking straight scotch a half hour before noon every day?
I was surprised Rory drank so much

Quote:
The new season may have actually made me like Logan a little more.
haha really? how come?
I do agree that he regressed too.. he's not the same person we saw in S7

Quote:
Alexis seems really sweet in interviews. And love that she decided to give a shout out to minor characters when he asked her about her faves. Especially Ceasar, whose scenes I found very endearing in the later seasons (i.e. when he was played by the second actor, the first one barely had any).
Yeah I liked how she addressed them too.. They sometimes get too little notice

Quote:
For me, Rory cheating, in any capacity, didn’t feel occ, but the complete lack of remorse did
Good point, I didn't like that she didn't feel bad about the cheating or even for Paul that she still hadn't broken up with him. It had to be a joke this Paul thing but it made her a lot less likeable for me because that's not how you treat people.

Quote:
They also didn’t really delve into Rory’s feelings about Odette. Maybe she tried to pretend Odette doesn’t exist (she probably never met her and Logan didn't seem to see her often either). Maybe she justified cheating on her in a similar way she initially did with Lindsay (if she thought of Odette as a trophy wife that Logan's family pushed him towards). Idk. We can only speculate because nothing was firmly established in canon.
That's the most difficult
We don't understand her reasonings for doing that
Quote:
I liked the online magazine sl because it imo drove home the point about Rory’s entitlement and gave her the wake-up call she needed. She didn’t prepare for the interview at all because she expected to be given the job automatically. When she ended up being rejected by the place she thought she was too good for, her first reaction was an angry outburst. Once she calmed down a little bit, she could see that she was in the wrong.
Yeah but how can you be so entitled when you don't have a big break out yet as a reporter?
I guess it happened because they called her so much..
But the angry outburst was nothing we've seen of Rory before IMO

Quote:
Me neither. I was wondering if I just missed some subtle Rory/books moments or there truly wasn’t a single one.
I haven't. I thought maybe by the pool but I saw 1 pic of Lorelai with one but not Rory
She didn't even have a box of books I believe
__________________
Life is Short, Time is Fast
No Replay, No Rewind
So enjoy every moment as it comes... ღ
Karen ღ | icon by xx

Last edited by Eternal Flame; 11-30-2016 at 03:03 AM
Eternal Flame is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 11:00 PM
  #48
Elite Fan

 
just stand still's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 34,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
I haven't. I thought maybe by the pool but I saw 1 pic of Lorelai with one but not Rory
She didn't even have a box of books I believe
I believe she was reading Anna Karenina by the pool.
__________________
The moon's never seen me before but I'm reflecting light.
Live more. Laugh more. Eat more. Talk more. Gilmore.
| | ϟ
just stand still is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 02:12 AM
  #49
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by just stand still (View Post)
I believe she was reading Anna Karenina by the pool.
And, someone (Bootsy?) heard she was back in town from the bookstore. So presumably she hit it as soon as she was in town.

But, her drinking and listlessness and disappointment is affecting her reading habits, too. She can't think of good stories, good angles, and she does seem to be reading either. Those, in the past, probably fed each other and now one is gone, the other follows.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
haha really? how come?
I do agree that he regressed too.. he's not the same person we saw in S7
He just seemed so young and more trapped, here. I know he's not young(er), natch, but he felt more out of depth. And, once he's in his family realm, it's going to be so much harder for him to ever pull out, to ever get away. If he does.
t hedge coke is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM
  #50
Moderator Support Team

 
Eternal Flame's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 138,505
maybe on a second rewatch I'll notice it more but I felt she talked more about books and such back in the day

Quote:
But, her drinking and listlessness and disappointment is affecting her reading habits, too. She can't think of good stories, good angles, and she does seem to be reading either. Those, in the past, probably fed each other and now one is gone, the other follows.
I'm a bit surprised by that, even in college she didn't like drinking... and now she does it a lot
__________________
Life is Short, Time is Fast
No Replay, No Rewind
So enjoy every moment as it comes... ღ
Karen ღ | icon by xx
Eternal Flame is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 PM
  #51
Addicted Fan

 
Slayerette89's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,271
Good catches with Anna Karenina (now that I went back to the pull scenes, I can see she is reading something in the first one, but I wasn’t able to make out what) and the bookstore remark (that one I completely missed).

Other than the pregnancy, my biggest disappointment about Rory’s character in the revival was that her intellectual spark was largely missing. Outside of the Naomi sl, I just couldn’t see the Rory who was passionate about literature and politics. Maybe that was deliberate, in keeping with her general downward spiral. But it was sad to watch.

All the alcohol threw me off guard too. As many have noted, it seems to have replaced coffee in the revival. And it does seem especially surprising for Rory to be drinking so much, given she didn’t in her high school and uni years. Not that it’s impossible to start drinking more later in life off course.
Slayerette89 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 PM
  #52
Master Fan

 
Ruby_Slippers's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 21,803
Can I be added? Love Alexis and Rory
__________________
"I think Logan loves Rory and will always love Rory regardless of whatever endings there may be. I think that Logan will always love Rory even probably more so than Rory will love Logan."

-- Matt Czuchry
Ruby_Slippers is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 02:52 PM
  #53
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
I'm a bit surprised by that, even in college she didn't like drinking... and now she does it a lot
It's kind of a joke, but "writers drink."

I don't drink a lot. I can hold it alright, if I "have to" to be polite, but I don't casually. But, especially in America, most writers do and many try for that Behan excess. I'm sure it's around enough and bottles are opening enough she fell more into the habit.

But, also, her family drink. Luke couldn't keep up with Richard and guys at the club.

All three Gilmores seemed to be reall diving in there, this time, but it is a stressful time, and it is in their raising, to that degree. Alcohol is how you cope.
t hedge coke is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 03:16 PM
  #54
Loyal Fan
 
Lucycat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,374
Rory didn't drink at Friday Night Dinners until she was of age, but she was drinking in season 5 with Logan and his cronies as well as Founder's Day punch at the Twickam House Museum before she was 21. I didn't think she drank much more in the revival than the series, except for the fact she preferred the hard stuff instead of the wine, champagne and occasional beer we saw her drink in the series. I wonder if it was Ricahrd's favorite so she adopted it? Remembrance to her grandfather.
Lucycat is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 06:32 PM
  #55
Elite Fan

 
just stand still's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 34,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
maybe on a second rewatch I'll notice it more but I felt she talked more about books and such back in the day
You're right she did talk/mention books a lot more in the original series. Perhaps that's why her inspiration has run dry. That's just one of the things that made Rory seem like a different person y'know? She always had her nose in a book. You see Jess still walking around with a book in his back pocket yet Rory was seen reading a book once, the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
Good catches with Anna Karenina (now that I went back to the pull scenes, I can see she is reading something in the first one, but I wasn’t able to make out what) and the bookstore remark (that one I completely missed).
I personally couldn't tell, it was too hard for me to catch the novel but I read somewhere that that was the book.
__________________
The moon's never seen me before but I'm reflecting light.
Live more. Laugh more. Eat more. Talk more. Gilmore.
| | ϟ
just stand still is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM
  #56
Elite Fan

 
Roswell 10/2/00's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Roswell
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,088
I think grief can have massive effect on a person. So maybe Rory world stopped when her Grandfather died. He basically became the only father figure to her in a way that was her blood.

So maybe she was doing fine seeing the world writing traveling learning all she could to before a great reporter and then bam her world comes crashing down. She is worried about her Grandmother and her Mom, but she knows her Mom has Luke.

Grief makes one look at life in a different way. Maybe she wanted more for her life because that is what her Grandfather wanted. she felt she failed she had writers block she thought she would be a great writer if she could grab the best interview the best storyline.

Instead she was used abused and told once again you are damaged goods.

So I think Rory was looking at her life and seeing everyone having it all. Paris had a great career and kids even if her marriage was on the rocks her career was great. Lane had her Zach and her kids and were rocking out. Even Dean got it together and married a great girl and had 3 kids and one on the way.

So I feel that Rory was drinking maybe to pay tribute to her Grandfather or maybe to hide her pain of her family lose.

I think writing the book was cathartic for her to feel like she was doing something to make a difference and to preserve her Grandfather's memory.

Yes Rory was all over the place but I feel deep down the book worm strange girl we all had grown to love was there. The reader at one point must become the writer like what happened to Jess. He eventually wrote his story.

So Rory was for the first time writing from her heart and exposing her soul. It was no longer someone else's worlds or expectations it was all for herself.

That is why the paper was not going to help her. They wanted the Poem they wanted things the town was use to. Rory had to go and writer her own stuff eventually.

No one told her this time how to do it or jump how high and I will give you want you want. She had to do it on her own. Scary and strange but in the end her book will be worth it.

Rory had to write her book to feel alive and become a new person both physically and mentally.

Alexis did an amazing job showing these layers especially in Fall and in the last scene of the series.
__________________
"Hi I'm Jason nice to meet you"~Jason Behr to me~5/8/07
"It was nice meeting you Erin"~Milo Ventimiglia to me~11/20/06 ~Proud member of The DSC!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 12-01-2016 at 07:38 PM
Roswell 10/2/00 is online now  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:46 PM
  #57
Elite Fan

 
Talula78's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 30,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
Yes Rory was all over the place but I feel deep down the book worm strange girl we all had grown to love was there. The reader at one point must become the writer like what happened to Jess. He eventually wrote his story.

So Rory was for the first time writing from her heart and exposing her soul. It was no longer someone else's worlds or expectations it was all for herself.

That is why the paper was not going to help her. They wanted the Poem they wanted things the town was use to. Rory had to go and writer her own stuff eventually.

No one told her this time how to do it or jump how high and I will give you want you want. She had to do it on her own. Scary and strange but in the end her book will be worth it.

Rory had to write her book to feel alive and become a new person both physically and mentally.

Alexis did an amazing job showing these layers especially in Fall and in the last scene of the series.
^This. All of this. And *cough* I was a bookworm in high school and college and now it's few & far between when I set aside the time to read a book, so I don't hold it against her (or ASP) for not having her head in a book?
__________________
CastleღBeckett / LukeღLorelai / MulderღScully / MalღInara / ChuckღSarah / MatthewღMary / FitzღSimmons
~Jen~
Avi: ninna
Talula78 is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM
  #58
Moderator Support Team

 
Eternal Flame's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 138,505
I added you Ruby!

Quote:
It's kind of a joke, but "writers drink."
Oh didn't know that but it didn't feel like the rory we knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucycat
I wonder if it was Ricahrd's favorite so she adopted it? Remembrance to her grandfather.
Hadn't thought about it in that way yet... Maybe Good point!

Quote:
I was a bookworm in high school and college and now it's few & far between when I set aside the time to read a book, so I don't hold it against her (or ASP) for not having her head in a book?
True but that was who she was to me.... Always having a book around, sniffing them... She had a crazy book love

__________________
Life is Short, Time is Fast
No Replay, No Rewind
So enjoy every moment as it comes... ღ
Karen ღ | icon by xx
Eternal Flame is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:53 AM
  #59
Elite Fan

 
just stand still's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 34,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
^This. All of this. And *cough* I was a bookworm in high school and college and now it's few & far between when I set aside the time to read a book, so I don't hold it against her (or ASP) for not having her head in a book?
I get that but it was almost like everything she did was OOC, like she wasn't the same person at all. It's all of those little things that when you put them together that made Rory, Rory.
__________________
The moon's never seen me before but I'm reflecting light.
Live more. Laugh more. Eat more. Talk more. Gilmore.
| | ϟ
just stand still is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 AM
  #60
Moderator Support Team

 
Eternal Flame's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 138,505
Plus in spring and summer she wasn't that busy yet because she only had SH gazette and a failed book project
__________________
Life is Short, Time is Fast
No Replay, No Rewind
So enjoy every moment as it comes... ღ
Karen ღ | icon by xx
Eternal Flame is offline  
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2017.

Copyright © 1998-2017, Fan Forum.