Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Oh goodness.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have never read something more accurate

Quote:
No matter how many times I’ve seen the series, I never could get myself to like Logan as a character or as a love interest for Rory. It wasn’t until recently that I finally was able to really identify why. Logan and Rory were madly in love, there’s no denying that, but Logan also made Rory insecure, uncertain of her own actions and feelings, and ultimately feel the need to change herself.

Rory met Logan during a time in her life when she was already beginning to doubt herself because she was no longer excelling within her academics as she had done all her life. It came as no surprise when she became infatuated with Logan who was the first guy that wasn’t falling over themselves for Rory. She had to chase Logan instead of being chased. While this was interesting to watch initially, it soon came to my attention that Rory was mainly infatuated with Logan for just that: he was unattainable. Multiple instances of this can be seen throughout the course of their relationship from Logan initially not wanting to date Rory to Logan not reciprocating when Rory tells him she loves him for the first time. There was never any “deep talking” in their relationship (as ASP says so herself), and Rory constantly changes herself in hopes of finally gaining his approval and respect even if that meant forfeiting some of her own ideals. Hell, Logan even steals from her own grandparents and Rory just brushes it off and wasn’t going to speak up or do anything even with Emily blaming the innocent maid. Expanding upon this, whilst being equally intelligent and definitely articulate as Rory, Logan displays his knowledge in an arrogant way, as if every conversation is a competition for the number of references dropped in. In contrast, Jess utilized his knowledge in a very different manner. As we saw in his very first episode, he analyses as part of the reading experience. He shows his intelligence subtly, but articulately - if perhaps sharp. While Logan had his moments of being a good boyfriend, ultimately he made Rory feel inferior to him. At one point he quite literally caused her to be sobbing on the ground for just that reason.

Quote:
LORELAI: Sh, honey, it’s okay. It’s okay.

RORY: Logan – [she breaks off into a sob.]

LORELAI: Sh, it’s okay.
It was for this reason I could never get behind Logan and Rory as a couple. It wasn’t a healthy relationship and in my mind they didn’t treat each other as equals. As far as Logan cheating on Rory, I can understand why people wouldn’t think it’s cheating, but I don’t think it’s safe to assume that after a fight and no talking that one is broken up. Maybe Logan was inexperienced since he was always just sleeping around, but in my mind since Logan and Rory hadn’t agreed on being broken up they were still together. However, even if Logan truly thought they were broken up, it says a lot he slept with someone that quickly after their breakup and never actually apologizes for it. Does he apologize for being jealous of Jess? Nope. Does he acknowledge that his past matters and that sleeping with a bunch of his sisters friends was an immature way of dealing with his heartache? Nope. He essentially twists the situation until Rory is in the wrong for being upset in the first place. Logan continually plays for control within his relationship with Rory.

Quote:
LOGAN: I’ve not even thought about another girl.

RORY: Except for Walker, Alexandra…

LOGAN: We were broken up, Rory.

RORY: No, you were.

LOGAN: I thought we were broken up. I thought that’s what the fight was. I thought that’s what the separation was. Do you believe me? Do you believe that I honestly thought we weren’t together?

RORY: I guess.

LOGAN: So then, if you believe that, that I thought we weren’t together, then do you believe that, in my mind, I was not cheating on you?

RORY: I guess.
Moving forward, in my opinion Logan doesn’t really display much growth within the series but then again we also never really got to know Logan outside of his relationship with Rory. The main “progression” I recall of his character is that he went from being a serial playboy into being in a steady relationship with one girl (but then managed to cheat on her). By the end of the series he still ran away from his responsibilities such as when his company tanked and he fooled around with Colin and Finn instead of facing the reality of the situation. I also do not think that Rory only showed a more adventurous side of herself when she was with Logan. In episode 2.21 ‘Lorelai’s Graduation Day’ just the prompt of a phone call from Jess causes Rory to be more impulsive. Not that I advocate skipping school at all, but that day in New York we see Rory more alive than she ever is with Dean, and in a way more so than when she is with Logan. Let me expand this point briefly; in season two, the times you see her talking with Dean and talking with Jess, you can see a visible difference in her reactions. With Dean she’s interested but she’s subdued, full of pop culture but a little less her. With Jess you see her argue her ideas, banter easily and it’s as if she’s been lit up. With Logan, Rory loosens up but on the way she loses herself, drops out of Yale and joins the DAR.

So in conclusion, that is why I never really warmed up to Logan. It was maddening for me to see Rory not being true to herself when she was with him.
NAVIGATION BY THE STARS

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 11-02-2018 at 12:09 AM
Old 11-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Loved reading that, accurate indeed.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

That's an interesting read. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 AM
Passionate Fan

https://companionofasociopath.tumblr...at-think-logan

https://mobile.twitter.com/LastGeeks...45890651615232

Last edited by Litlover73; 11-05-2018 at 02:55 PM
Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Exactly.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

girl, more gifs!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I want my username updated in the OP

I'm the 2nd to last one
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Done.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Passionate Fan

https://theoldmegisdead.tumblr.com/p...upset-when-she
Old 11-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

He didn't know her like Jess did.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I started re-watching the revival again today on Netflix and I don't like how these 2 are the screencap that they use for it
Old 11-21-2018, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

They are? Ugh.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread