Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
I don't get it, either. It physically hurts me to see women fawn over men like that, turning them into a renegade James Dean romantic archetype and ignoring their abusive behavior.
If you watched the series "Big Little Lies" you would have seen a fascinating story of abuse. Fantastic acting by Nicole Kidman and Alexander Skarsgård.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)
If you watched the series "Big Little Lies" you would have seen a fascinating story of abuse. Fantastic acting by Nicole Kidman and Alexander Skarsgård.
Oh really? I'll have to check that out when I'm in the mood to take in a story like that. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's a good show. Very good acting
Old 08-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1633...ly-really-hard
Old 08-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Extreme Fan

I have no idea why any sane person would want Jess as a boyfriend for Rory after that. Rory still liked him after the incident.

It always gets me the way she lied and screwed Dean over for Jess. You know actually she got what she deserved. With that said no women deserves to have some idiot like Jess force himself upon her.

When a man forces himself on a woman; it has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with anger.

The link will take you to, in my opinion, the best Rory / Dean fanfic ever written.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6551430...Have-Been-Mine
Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I know. I don’t personally understand any person who would keep shipping those two after an incident like that.

Quote:
Women are often told that they are at fault when they aren't, especially in sexual situations, and it's hard to watch Jess blame Rory in this way. Rory is in control of her body and sexuality, and I'm glad she stood up to Jess when he tried to push her too far. Regardless of Jess's motivations in this scene, it's a real indicator that he is not the best choice for Rory, and also makes him pretty difficult to love.
^This.

Last edited by Talula78; 08-11-2020 at 08:27 AM
Old 08-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I never understood why people are so forgiving of it
Old 08-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Jess doesn't actually know Rory at all.

Jess does not ‘get’ Rory the way he thinks he does. When he begs her to run away with him to New York, he says "I know you, this is what you want." But if Jess knew anything about Rory, he’d know Yale and Lorelai are the most important things in her life, and she would never abandon them.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)
I have no idea why any sane person would want Jess as a boyfriend for Rory after that. Rory still liked him after the incident.

It always gets me the way she lied and screwed Dean over for Jess. You know actually she got what she deserved. With that said no women deserves to have some idiot like Jess force himself upon her.

When a man forces himself on a woman; it has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with anger.

The link will take you to, in my opinion, the best Rory / Dean fanfic ever written.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6551430...Have-Been-Mine
I don't really hate Jess as a character after the revival anymore, but I don't want him anywhere near Rory because I still am not over him attacking her in s3. No sorry no!
Old 08-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I don't really hate Jess as a character after the revival anymore, but I don't want him anywhere near Rory because I still am not over him attacking her in s3. No sorry no!
That's kind of my stance. I couldn't ever ship a couple where one sexually assaults the other, that's a massive NO. But I don't mind them as friends. He has made some improvements in the revival.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
That's kind of my stance. I couldn't ever ship a couple where one sexually assaults the other, that's a massive NO. But I don't mind them as friends. He has made some improvements in the revival.
I am down for a platonic friendship. I hate that the show brushes that off so easily. Yet, the fact that Logan is Rich is somehow a dealbreaker, but not sexual assault. Plus, I don't get what was so great about them. They had an okay build up, but the actual relationship was a total trainwreck of him yelling at her and making her feel insecure and like she owed him something. I will take charming and privileged any day over how they depicted young jess/rory.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
I am down for a platonic friendship. I hate that the show brushes that off so easily. Yet, the fact that Logan is Rich is somehow a dealbreaker, but not sexual assault.
Exactly. He stole a yacht. Big whoopty do. But Jess gets a free pass for sexual assault because he what, shares a common love for literature?
Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Exactly. He stole a yacht. Big whoopty do. But Jess gets a free pass for sexual assault because he what, shares a common love for literature?
I think its about social class. I think the show in a way ingrained into viewers that Star's Hollow= Good Hartford Society=Bad. People seem imo to root for Jess for a couple of reasons:

1. The badboy trope in all its glory. He has this sort of Devil without a cause vibe going for him.
2. He is Luke's nephew
3. He isn't rich

But, all of those things are superficial and yes its great that he grew up, but their bond was never that deep. Mostly he was an avenue to kick Dean to the curb.

LBR, they were already pushing Rory to a certain type with the Tristan storyline but that was cut short due to CMM getting OTH.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
I think its about social class. I think the show in a way ingrained into viewers that Star's Hollow= Good Hartford Society=Bad. People seem imo to root for Jess for a couple of reasons:

1. The badboy trope in all its glory. He has this sort of Devil without a cause vibe going for him.
2. He is Luke's nephew
3. He isn't rich

But, all of those things are superficial and yes its great that he grew up, but their bond was never that deep. Mostly he was an avenue to kick Dean to the curb.

LBR, they were already pushing Rory to a certain type with the Tristan storyline but that was cut short due to CMM getting OTH.
I agree with all of that And yet she made her way back to Dean because she realized how well he treated her vs. how poorly Jess treated her. There were a lot of biases rooted in stereotypical traits for both guys. I've always maintained that ASP doesn't write men well. She likes to put them in boxes ripe for judgment. I also never saw any depth to the Rory/Jess relationship. Like my previous post said I don't think Jess ever really 'got' Rory.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
I agree with all of that And yet she made her way back to Dean because she realized how well he treated her vs. how poorly Jess treated her. There were a lot of biases rooted in stereotypical traits for both guys. I've always maintained that ASP doesn't write men well. She likes to put them in boxes ripe for judgment. I also never saw any depth to the Rory/Jess relationship. Like my previous post said I don't think Jess ever really 'got' Rory.
Me either. I am watching Maisel now and I think she is getting better. She likes to write men as stereotypes and Jess was one big honking stereotype on acid. Dean definitely treated he poorly. But, he deserved better than how she treated him.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread