Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Extreme Fan

This is from Jess's first episode:

Quote:
LUKE: [on phone] Yeah, I'm working. What do you think I'm doing? Uh huh. Uh huh. Oh man, what did you do? Excuse me, are you serious? Just like that, huh?

[Lorelai goes behind the counter and gets her own donuts]

BOY 2: Hey Mr. Doose. She's not supposed to do that.

TAYLOR: That's right. She's breaking the rules, and people who break the rules end up very lonely with no friends because they have become society's outcasts.

LORELAI: Planning on burning a little Huck Finn after lunch, Taylor?

TAYLOR: Excuse me?

LUKE: [on phone] This is unbelievable! You won't ever change, will you? . . . Okay, fine. Do what you want, make the arrangements. Now I'm working, we'll finish this later. [hangs up]
Luke is arguing with Liz about Jess, is it a coincidence that Taylor also seems to be describing Jess at the same time? If he isn't, that's weird, right?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Hmm, interesting observation. Don't really know for sure, but I suppose it could describe him?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow yeah that does sound like Jess
Old 08-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Jess can mature and I'm sure will have matured by this revival, but you can't take the mean streak out of someone, no matter how much maturation occurs. Those kinds of guys are bad news all around. They don't just miraculously become happy go lucky never letting anything bother them. As soon as something pisses them off, they're back to their old state not knowing how to channel their anger. My BFF is married to a Jess-type & even though he has significantly improved since his younger years, his fits of rage STILL have her calling me up crying her eyes out because she's so scared of him!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 PM
New Fan

It's funny, I never hated Jess until I started talking about the show online. I liked all the guys when the show originally aired but in the last few years when I started talking about the show online my mind has changed and its because of the fans. Jess fans I've encountered will not acknowledge any positive aspects in the other relationships or the other guys. He rose to sainthood in those 2 season 6 episodes he was in and its ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The whole Jess is a saint is one of the things that bother me
Old 08-30-2016, 01:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Plus he's far from a saint. Of course he had his good scenes in S2, but in S3 he treated Rory poorly... Of course he's changed but I am kind of hoping that he's moved on to some other girlfriend.

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 08-30-2016, 05:56 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I never hated Jess until I started talking about the show online.
Same here. I was indifferent- he filled the Tristan shaped void and my friends liked him, but I didn't care when he left or came back. I thought all the guys were even in their non-endgameness. Boy was I apparently wrong. It really makes you watch closer and notice how terrible he was.

ASP has said she's picking up where she left off, which doesn't sound to me like maturity on her end. So I guess that means more guys pining for Gilmore's and antagonizing each other because they can't share the thing they all covet.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkalways88 (View Post)
It's funny, I never hated Jess until I started talking about the show online. I liked all the guys when the show originally aired but in the last few years when I started talking about the show online my mind has changed and its because of the fans. Jess fans I've encountered will not acknowledge any positive aspects in the other relationships or the other guys. He rose to sainthood in those 2 season 6 episodes he was in and its ridiculous.
Rotten fans can do that. I've kinda lost my interest in Stana because of her awful fans. I have to make sure to stay away from the haters because it ultimately takes away from my enjoyment of the series and I love this show so much.

It's funny, I started off liking Jess, or at least being indifferent to him (I was more interested in Lorelai and her relationships than Rory's). But the subsequent viewings I've had of the series the more & more I dislike him, especially watching season 3, he's AWFUL! He treated her like CRAP, I don't know how he can be promoted to sainthood just due to a couple episodes he appears in season 6? If he helped her go back to Yale, then good for him. I'm not ungrateful for that service he provided, but to revisit that relationship in the future just because he helped her that one time and he turns into this perfect man? Yeah, no. I'm not buying it. Like I said, characters with a mean streak do NOT make good partners in life. I wish more women and girls weren't so influenced by the bad boys, they learn to accept them treating them like dirt and that's just sad. I really hope ASP doesn't venture down that path because then it makes it acceptable to young impressionable girls that guys like Jess can be changed and turn into these great BFs when in reality, that's typically not what happens.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well put Boys like Jess in S3 usually don't change that much in real life

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I should've prefaced my rant with I'm not anti-Jess, I actually find his character interesting and like his SL with Luke. I just don't like him for Rory. At all.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Same here. I was indifferent- he filled the Tristan shaped void and my friends liked him, but I didn't care when he left or came back. I thought all the guys were even in their non-endgameness. Boy was I apparently wrong. It really makes you watch closer and notice how terrible he was.
I liked Tristan too. I vastly would have preferred a Tristan/Rory/Dean triangle in season 2 than the one we got with Jess. Because they didn't have to dumb Dean down in the former. It could have been about which world she was more drawn too and they wouldn't have had to strip Dean of the fact that he read some too just to make Jess more appealing.

Quote:
I don't know how he can be promoted to sainthood just due to a couple episodes he appears in season 6? If he helped her go back to Yale, then good for him. I'm not ungrateful for that service he provided, but to revisit that relationship in the future just because he helped her that one time and he turns into this perfect man? Yeah, no.
And the thing is Rory herself never gave Jess credit for going back to Yale. Because it wasn't about him. Him getting his life together was just the straw that broke the camels back. She was already getting restless at her grandparents house. Any number of things could have snapped her out of it around that time. To hear his fans tell it he followed through on Luke's plan and kidnapped her and took her to Yale and re-enrolled her himself instead of yelling "What's Going ON?!?" a few times.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I felt the story idea with tristan/Dean/rory was much more interesting in s1 both guys had their personalities intact
Old 08-31-2016, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkalways88 (View Post)
And the thing is Rory herself never gave Jess credit for going back to Yale. Because it wasn't about him. Him getting his life together was just the straw that broke the camels back. She was already getting restless at her grandparents house. Any number of things could have snapped her out of it around that time. To hear his fans tell it he followed through on Luke's plan and kidnapped her and took her to Yale and re-enrolled her himself instead of yelling "What's Going ON?!?" a few times.
Rory needed a trigger & Jess happened to be in the right place at the right time. I haven't quite gotten to that point in season 6 of my rewatch, so I'll pay more attention to how it all transpired. I will always go back to my feeling that he will NEVER be a good partner to Rory, no matter how much life improvement (although I'm glad he FINALLY made the effort) he's achieved. Mean, angry types pretty much never move beyond that because that's how they react instinctually, with anger first. Could you imagine being around someone like that all the time for the rest of your life?

Tristan I was beginning to warm up to but in the first season he was a bit of a douche, too. I do agree with you about dumbing Dean down in order to prop Jess up intellectually. I thought that was poor writing and not doing any kind of good service to Dean's character. But that's what we got. Oh well.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do think people can change. I feel like we didn't enough of it to translate on screen and he was self righteous
Closed Thread   Post New Thread