Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
It felt like everyone was hooked on speed for the episode. lol
That's how I felt about a couple of the characters in particular throughout the whole season. It was like YIKES! Calm down!

And yeah, he did focus A LOT on Lorelai and pretty much only on her love life, it totally wasn't fair to Rory's character and fans. It felt like "oh yeah, we have to write Rory a story, let's just throw something in there to fill in" Ughhh...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
DR I hate more than ASP because he randomly broke up my favorite couple, although I'll give him credit to some good episodes. ASP was loopy at times but at least he created some of my favorite characters. The problem with DR is that he seems to be to much of a sitcom writer. Like he seemed to be focused only on Lorelai's arc, even though Lorelai's arc wasen't that good it was still an arc. Rory didn't have much of an arc that season it was pretty episodic. Also he wasen't at creating new characters I found the characters Olivia and Lucy to be a little to silly and not very fleshed out.
This is true! OMG! I'll admit somewhere within 7.01 I forgot about Rory and was startled when she came onscreen. I was like, how the heck did I forget Rory was a part of this show? Hee.

The dialogue is obviously smart, but of the 4 episodes of S7 I've seen, it's too heavy. It doesn't roll off the actors tongue as easily. It seems labored through.

I don't know... At the end of the day, it really was ASP's show and nobody else's. It feels fake without her. But it's canon and very real 'till the bitter end.

Unless a movie ever happens. Or a book. ASP is talented enough to finish GG on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensinger (View Post)
That's how I felt about a couple of the characters in particular throughout the whole season. It was like YIKES! Calm down!

And yeah, he did focus A LOT on Lorelai and pretty much only on her love life, it totally wasn't fair to Rory's character and fans. It felt like "oh yeah, we have to write Rory a story, let's just throw something in there to fill in" Ughhh...
So it doesn't get any better? I guess I must pace myself then. Or drink a lot of coffee to keep up. I hate coffee though. Maybe I'll drink Coke. Hehe/

Ahh, that sucks about Rory. Guess AB could have actually left in S8 (had it happened) and they wouldn't have noticed Rory was gone.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Elite Fan

I stopped watching during season 7 until the finale and I never caught up. I found the soap opera crap in S5 and S6 when it was still AS-P's show annoying because she was screwing around with what she made great. Only she knew how to write GG and she couldn't even do it right anymore. GG is a character-driven show not one that relies on long plots, the dialogue holds the episodes together not the narrative. What really annoyed me about AS-P was her tendency to be inconsistent with her own characters and stories, water down characters like Dean or outright assassinate them and prop characters like Jess. I was sick of her by the end of season 6 but DR only made it worse because he didn't understand the show.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
So it doesn't get any better? I guess I must pace myself then. Or drink a lot of coffee to keep up. I hate coffee though. Maybe I'll drink Coke. Hehe/

Hee! Well, I guess it's just my opinion, maybe you won't feel the same way. I definitely feel there are times during that season when Lorelai is borderline psychotic. Then other times, she's too mellow... They just couldn't get it. I guess we'll see what your interpretation is.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Master Fan

I didn't watch where Dean insulted Lorelai I guess so I can't judge his exit from the show that well.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Elite Fan

Bella - To be fair, I haven't watched it either. Just heard about it. I can't watch it. It's too depressing to think about, let alone watch it. I dont' think Dean insulted Lorelai, just that he said to Luke that she was like Rory and that sooner or later he (Luke) wouldn't be enough for Lorelai anymore. Those are hurtful words from CuteDean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheldax46 (View Post)
I stopped watching during season 7 until the finale and I never caught up. I found the soap opera crap in S5 and S6 when it was still AS-P's show annoying because she was screwing around with what she made great. Only she knew how to write GG and she couldn't even do it right anymore. GG is a character-driven show not one that relies on long plots, the dialogue holds the episodes together not the narrative. What really annoyed me about AS-P was her tendency to be inconsistent with her own characters and stories, water down characters like Dean or outright assassinate them and prop characters like Jess. I was sick of her by the end of season 6 but DR only made it worse because he didn't understand the show.
WORD, WORD, WORD. I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the way, something changed and they never got it back. It must have been painfil for long time fans to watch the show become something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensinger (View Post)
Hee! Well, I guess it's just my opinion, maybe you won't feel the same way. I definitely feel there are times during that season when Lorelai is borderline psychotic. Then other times, she's too mellow... They just couldn't get it. I guess we'll see what your interpretation is.
I'll find out soon! I will be watching some episodes later on. I bet Lorelai is hell to write, but the inconsistencies were in general. I wonder if ASP and DR have any regrets.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Elite Fan

I'd be disappointed if there weren't any regrets about GG.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Oh, I'm sure they do. Not that either of them would admit it...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Master Fan

another supercute episode is the Donna Reed one. the whole dinner thing was just wow. I love his disbelieving face throuthout the whole thing - so Dean
Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

I'm sure ASP has regrets for it not being able to end her way. I still wonder how season six would have gone if she wouldn't have announced leaving halfway through.

Dean didn't really say anything bad about Lorelai or Rory even. He was just being pissy and saying that the both of them want something more than just staying in Stars Hallow and all him and Luke are is this town. I forgive Dean because that is true about Rory, but I don't think it is about Lorelai. As much as she would love to travel and such, she loves Stars Hallow and her job and Luke and her house too much to go anywhere.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Elite Fan

I think AS-P should have regrets about the soap opera twists she herself took, but I don't think she'd ever admit her mistakes there.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Elite Fan

Hee, Dean and Dona Reed. I love that he had this idyllic version of family life. Sometimes, Dean could be so innocent about things. It got him a broken heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheldax46 (View Post)
I'd be disappointed if there weren't any regrets about GG.
Same here!

I agree, guys. Plus, ASP created GG out of her mind, her soul, friends and family, etc. It was personal. I can't imagine she doesn't feel it, that somebody else decided how her dream would end, twice.

I think it would have been interesting to see Rory with more age. I think Rory had a lot of romantic notions. When she got to Yale, she had to face the reality of higher education. When she worked with Mitchum she had to face the reality of a real working standards and enviroment. Now she will be probably learn the hard truth that journalism is not just about writing and that traveling all the time take a HUGE toll.

Rory is a lot less adventurous and free spirited that she thinks she is, imo. In S3 she tells Dean that they can make it work as a couple since Christiane Amanpour has a husband and a kid and makes it work. Rory S1-S3 had a better picture of academics, real life work than Rory S4-S7 ever did. In later seasons she tried too hard, refusing Logan's proposal as if it meant they had to get married the next day.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Extreme Fan

I've been under A LOT of stress lately and I have found that watching S1 RD is like therapy. Well, S1 GG period is therapy, but especially reliving the whole "first love" thing. Seriously, the more I watch it the more I love it.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Elite Fan

I also thought Rory would never cut it in the real world as a journalist, she called herself tough but she was always too sheltered and innocent.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Rory will be a good domestic journalist at a paper but I don't she will ever be the Christine Amanpour that she will ever envision
Closed Thread   Post New Thread