Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The show runner intends parallels.
Maybe, but she didn't do a great job showing it. I'm supposed to buy that Logan is Rory's version of Christopher? Then ASP should prove it not just it in an interview.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

The parallel falls flat to me because unlike that dolt Christopher, there is no way that Logan won't step up for his kid. The parallels are shallow at best. But, we all have our povs.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Logan may not have the attributes of Christopher but there is some aspects of him that are similiar that they both continue to struggle with
Old 11-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
Logan may not have the attributes of Christopher but there is some aspects of him that are similiar that they both continue to struggle with
Again a weak parallel that doesn't= him being uninvolved with his kid.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Yes.
Like he'd really abandon his kid.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I second this.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Addicted Fan

I enjoyed the revival immensely Loved seeing Lorelai/Luke and Jess was fantastic. The only thing I didn't like was Logan and Rory, so incredibly disappointed in those two. I never felt like Logan was right for Rory and this revival proved it to me even more.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Elite Fan

I wanted to bring over someone's flawless rant on Tumblr:

Quote:
You might’ve already seen this post by @ribbon-couture​ (if not - def check it out) talking about potentially cut Rory and Jess scenes.

Well, we’ve talked some more about cut scenes and since I think it’s pretty interesting, I thought I’d share some bits with you..

So leading up to the revival, we were led to believe that every character’s storyline will more or less be resolved and/or have their loose ends tied up. however, it seems Jess and Rory never got an ending or even a middle. Their story felt so rushed and frankly, it really just felt unimportant for the most part. I got the impression that they’ve used Jess for the sole reason to introduce the book story line for Rory _(that was completely rushed?? he came up with that idea within 2 seconds).

Anyway.. here are some things we’ve noticed:

Let’s start with some interviews that Alexis Bledel did for the revival.
Alexis Bledel: I think there is satisfying closure for any fans of any of the three couples that tend to get some attention. But they’re very different interactions. I would say each one of them [gets] closure in a different way.
However, there was no closure for Jess. She got to have a nice closure scene with Dean in the market, where she rambled on and on how perfect Dean was as a boyfriend. And obviously she got to have a very lengthy ending to her complicated relationship with Logan. But there was NO such scene for Rory and Jess. In fact, their “ending” (if you can even say so) felt very open and up to the interpretation of the viewer. No closure whatsoever.

Are you Team Dean, Jess or Logan?
Alexis Bledel: I’ve always said that I don’t want to choose. I just can’t choose one. But I can reassure the fans: the question will be answered once and for all in the new episodes.
Alexis has confirmed that there would be a definite answer for the forever burning question of “who does Rory end up with”. So what is the definite answer now?

Let’s move on to Milo..

Even if Milo is not the most reliable source when it comes to revival info and spoilers (lmao), there are some things that strongly imply that he had more scenes..
Milo Ventimiglia: I would say more than two, less than four episodes.

He always mentioned in interviews that he was in ‘more than two, less than four episodes’ so everyone figured that he probably has only a small part in one of the episodes and figures more heavily in the other two. Yet he was only shown in Summer and Fall. Interesting enough, there are pictures (like this one) from people that took a WB tour at the time of filming with Jess’ car and it has snow on it.. There was a lot of discussion if it really was Jess’ car because it’s a different one than in the original show but according to this reddit post, multiple tour guides mentioned that it is in fact his. Judge for yourself.

Plus he also implied that in the script, he got to see where Jess ended up and what he’s doing with his life.
Milo Ventimiglia: It was all very much on the page. I didn’t have to dream too far about who he was. I definitely went back and looked at the last three episodes that Jess was in, just to see where his head was at when he last left and to understand the dynamic between Rory and Luke and just his own journey in life. I was surprised about where he was, and then where he is when we pick back up with him.
BUT, we didn’t see even a glimpse of what Jess is doing now. We didn’t see anything about his life journey or get any new information about ‘where he is’. Jess’ first scene back was to visit Luke and stop by to see how Rory is doing.. after not seeing her for FOUR YEARS. The fact that Milo mentioned several times that he was apart of “more than two less than four” or three of the four episodes and only to have appeared in two (a total of three scenes) further suggests there had to have been at least one important scene that was cut.

The scenes we got just didn’t make any sense. How is it possible that Rory and Jess haven’t seen each other in four years? And if that’s the case, how could Jess still be in love with her or still have lingering feelings for her this whole time? What led to that longing look he gave her? Where was a scene that would show why those feelings still exist?

Understandably, scenes get cut all the time and that’s just how editing works. I get that. What I DON’T get is why cut such important details just to fit in ones that don’t add anything to the overall story??

For example, why was a scene where Michel tells Lorelai he wants to stay at the Dragonfly cut? His storyline was basically centered around this and yet we get no scene explaining it??

No, let’s go for a 15 minutes musical scene instead that everyone hated.

And the still where Kirk and Lorelai are sitting down probably planning the wedding was cut. Why?? This scene would have been so adorable. And it would have explained why Kirk came rushing into the house upset about the fact that he ‘ruined everything’.

No, let’s do therapy sessions filled with silence instead.

The last one is arguable, but there was also a picture that was taken on set and it shows what looks like a set up of the “planned/real” wedding ceremony with the chuppah in the corner, indicating a potential Luke and Lorelai wedding. (Note: I think the picture was taken when the production was already finished, that’s why I’m not sure if it really was for GG but given the chuppah..) BUT INSTEAD, we got a quickie ceremony. Don’t get me wrong, that scene was beautifully shot and extremely sweet and sentimental. But wouldn’t it have been much more beneficial to the storyline to show Emily and Jess be present and there for their wedding ceremony/reception?

No, let’s go for a long, unnecessary discussion with a ranger instead to fit in another stupid cameo.

It’s just ridiculous and heartbreaking looking back at it now and realizing some important scenes were or were potentially cut just to make room for COMPLETELY unnecessary ones. The fact that so many loved characters didn’t get any plot and barely any screen time is just… I don’t even have words tbh.

Disclaimer: For the most part, this is obviously just speculation. So take everything with a grain of salt _and don’t come at me with salty messages because I wrote that post lmao. And shout out again to @ribbon-couture​ and @withlove-cl​ for their major input
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I didnt say anything about the kid. I am talking about their wealth and that aspect they have struggled with .
Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Passionate Fan

Reading about how much they cut makes me sad. I hope they didn't cut a substantial Jess scene.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by just stand still (View Post)
Exactly.

She literally needed to state it because people weren't seeing it that way.
Just to make clear, I don't think Logan would abandon his child. And I don't think Logan is Chris. Logan is much better than Chris.

However, since the original run of the series I have always thought Chris and Logan were very similar and had very similar vibes. I thought Chris brought out things in Lorelai that Logan brought out in Rory. They both were educated, wealthy, reckless, a little selfish characters and they made their counterparts like that. I think Rory lived a life that Lorelai could have lived with Chris if they had never gotten pregnant.

However, I do think Logan grew up a lot while Chris didn't. I don't appreciate Logan's cheating though. I really hate that still, despite really enjoying him in the revival.

Last edited by courtneybangelcakes; 11-28-2016 at 09:30 PM
Old 11-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
The parallel falls flat to me because unlike that dolt Christopher, there is no way that Logan won't step up for his kid. The parallels are shallow at best. But, we all have our povs.
I agree. I was watching a rerun from the first season and they mention christopher working for a startup tech company in california like logan was supposed to in season 7 but other than some minor parallels, they are really two different people. Rory rejected Jess in season 6 because she was in love with Logan. Lorelai would not have rejected Luke for christopher.
Also, I see Jess more like a friend to rory who gives advice when he is around but she never really seeks it from him. He just shows up, kind of like christopher. While Rory seeks out logan for advice and to vent. Logan is more like Luke for Rory in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl25 (View Post)
Reading about how much they cut makes me sad. I hope they didn't cut a substantial Jess scene.
I'm mad that they cut scenes of substance for things like the musical.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretlifefan1001 (View Post)
I agree. I was watching a rerun from the first season and they mention christopher working for a startup tech company in california like logan was supposed to in season 7 but other than some minor parallels, they are really two different people. Rory rejected Jess in season 6 because she was in love with Logan. Lorelai would not have rejected Luke for christopher.
Also, I see Jess more like a friend to rory who gives advice when he is around but she never really seeks it from him. He just shows up, kind of like christopher. While Rory seeks out logan for advice and to vent. Logan is more like Luke for Rory in my opinion.
Jess didn't JUST show up for Rory lol. He was also there for Luke, no matter where Rory and Jess are in their relationship/friendship. He is Luke's family first .
Old 11-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hso (View Post)
I thought that Christopher and Logan packed some similarities when the show was still on back in the day, and apparently I wasn't the only one.
Oh yeah, I definitely saw that too. Especially when Chris went to Yale to visit Rory and he met Logan. It was like the two of them were looking into a mirror

What I (and many casual viewers, as far as I've read) saw is that Logan represents something similar to what Chris represented for Lorelai: he's the guy who Rory can't quit, they always have fun together and they're sort of clinging to each other but for some reason they can't make it work like they ideally wished. Plus, they're both privileged, come from a similar background as the girls, they both had a "familiy obligation" they didn't really wanna follow but in the end, they just "caved in". Not everything is the same, of course, since Logan & Rory had a much mature relationship than whatever Lorelai & Chris ever had (the age difference could have played a big factor in it). I doubt Logan would be a deadbeat, too. But I don't think the "parallels" (gosh after the other GG I still hate that word) are only in Alexis and ASP's heads.

Quote:
I'm mad that they cut scenes of substance for things like the musical.
Me too! That musical did nothing for the overall story, did it? How hard was for ASP/DP to spend more time developing the main characters' story instead? Or even showing more things about Lane for example, who I'm sure had less screetime than all of the Bunheads cameos combined
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top