Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't want to comment on Luke, every one has bad days and over 7 seasons he's been more vocal than violent.

As for the drink driving, that's not very good, even for the early 2000s. Trying to remember if anyone on the show actually did it or if it was just talk?

And the laws about using a cell phone while driving were just being introduce and in later season it was done less, Rory even told her mom to get off the phone while riding to work when the Jeep broke down.

It will be interesting to see how things have changed 9 years later.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:52 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I don't want to comment on Luke, every one has bad days and over 7 seasons he's been more vocal than violent.
Well, the fights with Christopher, Dean and Jess, he threw a frying pan at Taylor's head (imagine that assault), he was arrested for vandalizing a car... It's not that I think he'd ever hurt Lorelai or anything, but it just bugs me.

Quote:
Trying to remember if anyone on the show actually did it or if it was just talk?
Every time Lorelai got in her car after Friday night dinner. Luke, after his golfing session with Richard, just to name a few.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how things have changed 9 years later.
I agree, also regarding the LGBT community. I always thought GG was pretty terrible in that department. There are plenty of comments that border on homophobic or are at least insulting, IMO.

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 11-10-2016, 05:03 AM
Obsessed Fan

Violent tendencies in (at least some of the) male characters have been bugging me too during my rewatch. Primarily Dean and Jess being a little too prone to throwing punches. I don’t mean to bash either of their characters. I like them both, but some of their scenes make me really uncomfortable. Luke’s outbursts I didn’t really notice aside from 5.16 but, seeing those examples listed, I guess it was a repeated occurrence with him too.

Good points about drunken driving, using the cell in the car and borderline homophobic comments too.

On an unrelated and random note, I just noticed Danny Pudi was an extra in s6. Love Abed/Community in general, so that made me .
Old 11-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Loyal Fan

Well, I don't think Lorelai was drunk after the Friday dinners. She usually had a martini early for a cocktail and probably a glass of wine with dinner followed by coffee. I imagine their dinners went on for several hours, so I'm sure she was okay to drive. As for Luke after golf, Lorelai specifically told him to go back in the club house and drink coffee and not to drive. I'm sure he sobered up before he went home.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Elite Fan

You can drive while having alcohol in your system so the drinking and driving wasn't that serious. When people talk about DUI's it generally means they're hammered. For the most part Lorelai had one or two drinks before dinner, then they ate their meal and had dessert before she headed home. That's a pretty normal thing that people do, but they're not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
And the laws about using a cell phone while driving were just being introduce and in later season it was done less, Rory even told her mom to get off the phone while riding to work when the Jeep broke down.
I was gonna say the same thing about the cell phones while driving, that wasn't a law when the show began.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't feel the show was homophobic, then again there were no openly gay charters on the show but we often wondered about Micheal, not that it matters one way or another. I remember people complaining about Parenthood not having a gay character in the main cast early on. Personally I think diversity is good but shows shouldn't have to have characters just to be politically correct, then again who knows maybe someone has now come out?

With the changes in society and the political landscape (pre Trump) it will be interesting to see if anything has changed in the 15 or so years since the show started.

Speaking of Trump, we know what Rory did when she left in the final, I do wonder how they handled anything political or if they avoided it knowing the new show would not be released until after the election?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 AM
Elite Fan

Well, I think the show is definitely a bit liberal, politically speaking. But yeah, there were some gay-comments that wouldn't be appropriate anymore?

Quote:
Luke calls Kirk’s pink dog carrier a ‘gay bag’. Max says he’d cross the street to avoid being seen with cross-dressers. Even Lorelai quips that same sex couples look funny when they kiss.
But then ASP also said this:
Quote:
Sherman-Palladino went on to reveal that Melissa McCarthy’s character Sookie was originally written as a lesbian, but the network wouldn’t go for it, and the character was rewritten as heterosexual.
So, who knows. Times are definitely different now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just stand still
That's a pretty normal thing that people do, but they're not drunk.
But the fact that they make it seems so normal, bugs me. I mean, she drank a bottle of tequila with Christopher after his dad died and she still drove home. Logan and Rory fight after Jess leaves in season 6. She excuses Logan's behaviour and explains it as him having "had too much to drink" and not 5 minutes later, he wants to leave and says he drove them there and he wants to leave. A cup of coffee doesn't sober you up immediately. I don't know, I just think it should be less 'normal' or something.

Yvonne
Old 11-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Elite Fan

You don't actually see her drive home though, right? She could've taken a taxi and gone back for her car later.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpaisley (View Post)
Well, I think the show is definitely a bit liberal, politically speaking. But yeah, there were some gay-comments that wouldn't be appropriate anymore?
I agree. Imo, it’s because the show had liberal vibes that all the gay jokes seem additionally inappropriate and out of place. But the awareness about that kind of humor being inappropriate has risen since, so maybe we won’t see it in the revival. And I didn’t know that Sookie was originally supposed to be a lesbian. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:35 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
so maybe we won’t see it in the revival.
I seriously doubt it.

Yvonne
Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Elite Fan

To be fair, when this show was originally filmed a lot of these things were the norm. No one's saying that homophobic comments and jokes are okay, but we've evolved a lot as a people in the recent years. It was fairly common for remarks like that to be said on most sitcoms airing on television. Now of course, looking back, it's something we notice because it's something we're aware of. At the same time (relating to certain things) people are overly sensitive nowadays and get offended by every silly thing.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 AM
Elite Fan

For some reason I think the show now will be a bit more mature, if that's the right word. It's a different setting when you only have 4 episode to focus on instead of 22 individual ones.

And yes, times are different, so I do believe there won't be any calling and driving nor homophobic jokes, which I am totally happy with. The drinking and driving I am not so sure about.

Yvonne
Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Elite Fan

Well there's still a difference between drinking and driving (having a glass of wine) and drunk driving tbqh - we need to remember that.

Unless ASP just has an offensive sense of humour I assume homophobic jokes will be non-existent in the revival.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-17-2016, 02:41 AM
Elite Fan

Not sure where else to post this, but it made me grin so much!

Yvonne
Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucycat (View Post)
Well, I don't think Lorelai was drunk after the Friday dinners. She usually had a martini early for a cocktail and probably a glass of wine with dinner followed by coffee. I imagine their dinners went on for several hours, so I'm sure she was okay to drive. As for Luke after golf, Lorelai specifically told him to go back in the club house and drink coffee and not to drive. I'm sure he sobered up before he went home.
I remember in that episode Lorelai originally tells Luke to get coffee and sober up, but then later in the conversation she's telling him to get in his car and drive back to her right now (because of Richard driving him crazy I think ), and that attitude definitely came off as odd when he was portrayed as *really badly* slurring his words and saying himself that he wasn't fit to drive I agree that I don't think that Lorelai was ever meant to be that drunk though, with her it was usually just a couple of drinks with dinner, but Luke was almost falling down drunk in that episode, yet Lorelai never suggests calling a cab or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpaisley (View Post)
Well, the fights with Christopher, Dean and Jess, he threw a frying pan at Taylor's head (imagine that assault), he was arrested for vandalizing a car... It's not that I think he'd ever hurt Lorelai or anything, but it just bugs me.
It bugged me too, I remember after his break-up with Lorelai he was literally throwing customers out the door and practically assaulting them. I guess the thing was that GG was half a comedy and half drama, so they had exaggerated sitcom type moments like that for humour sometimes, but it really doesn't play well if you take GG as a straight drama. One poor customer hit the ground really hard!