Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Elite Fan

I agree that it probably would've gotten more accolades on a bigger network.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayshappy (View Post)
I think it did as well as can be expected back then, but if there would have been Netflix back then I think it would have done even better. It surprises me how many fans have discovered the show, or rediscovered the show when it released on Netflix.
That said, the biggest ''problem'' has always been the title imo. When you hear the name ''Gilmore Girls'' it's easy to assume it's just a girly rom-com kind of show. It's the main reason why most of my friends didn't check it our for years. When I got most of them to watch some episodes they were instantly hooked. They admitted that the show is so much more than what they thought at first. I don't know which title they should have used instead, but yeah, it would have done better with another title imo. Guess we will never know.

Years later it's still my favorite show ever. We watch A LOT of shows and there are plenty that are outstanding. Making a top 10 of favorite shows is pretty hard, but naming my number 1 is always very easy. The show just had something that cannot be described. It has the power to make me happy when I'm sad, but it also makes me even happier when I'm already quite happy to begin with.[/QUOTE]

That's probably true. I'm so thankful streaming services feature it and make it accessible to new fans.

It's funny you say that about the title because it honestly was what kept me from watching. It sounded like a girlie bubble gum show which didn't interest me at the time. Of course when I started watching I picked up on how intelligent and funny the scripts were and couldn't believe I had formed such a harsh judgment on it based on that title. Having said that, I love the title now and feel it didn't and doesn't ever need to be changed. I think what needs changing is my perception of "girlie".

This show became my happy place show, the one I can go to whenever I'm upset or sad or just want a good laugh. I love it so much, it's my favorite show of all time!
Talula78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
That said, the biggest ''problem'' has always been the title imo. When you hear the name ''Gilmore Girls'' it's easy to assume it's just a girly rom-com kind of show. It's the main reason why most of my friends didn't check it our for years. When I got most of them to watch some episodes they were instantly hooked. They admitted that the show is so much more than what they thought at first. I don't know which title they should have used instead, but yeah, it would have done better with another title imo. Guess we will never know.

Years later it's still my favorite show ever. We watch A LOT of shows and there are plenty that are outstanding. Making a top 10 of favorite shows is pretty hard, but naming my number 1 is always very easy. The show just had something that cannot be described. It has the power to make me happy when I'm sad, but it also makes me even happier when I'm already quite happy to begin with.
That's probably true. I'm so thankful streaming services feature it and make it accessible to new fans.

It's funny you say that about the title because it honestly was what kept me from watching. It sounded like a girlie bubble gum show which didn't interest me at the time. Of course when I started watching I picked up on how intelligent and funny the scripts were and couldn't believe I had formed such a harsh judgment on it based on that title. Having said that, I love the title now and feel it didn't and doesn't ever need to be changed. I think what needs changing is my perception of "girlie".

This show became my happy place show, the one I can go to whenever I'm upset or sad or just want a good laugh. I love it so much, it's my favorite show of all time! [/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I LOVE the title. It fits the show and I wouldn't know what else to call it. It's just that people (especially guys) really react to a title with ''girl'' in it. The Good Wife had the same issue. Like Gilmore Girls that show is incredibly well written (intelligent!), but you only discover that when you give a show the chance. Some people just don't want to do that when there's a mention of ''girl/wife'' in the title. You're right; our perception needs to change.

And same, favorite show of all time! Only shows that came close over the years were Grey's Anatomy and The Good Wife, but ultimately GG will always be number 1.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | The Good Wife | Charmed | Veronica Mars | Damages | Brothers & Sisters | The Newsroom | One Tree Hill | Game of Thrones | Bones | The Closer | How to get away with Murder | Fringe | The OC | Desperate Housewives | Homeland | Pretty Little Liars | & more |
Xbox One Tag: Alwayshappyz | Wii U tag: Alwayshappyz
Alwayshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Elite Fan

It’s definitely a one of a kind show. Nothing can replicate it.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Elite Fan

You’re totally right, Ingmar, perceptions do need to change. I look back and kick myself for not giving this show a proper chance while it was on TV just cuz of the title.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Passionate Fan

congrats to Amy and Dan on their Emmy nominations

You know, Ernest only has lovely things to say about you

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 07-12-2018 at 12:09 PM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

Not just for creating and producing the show, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Amy got writing and directing nominations as well.
huntzmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntzmore (View Post)
Not just for creating and producing the show, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Amy got writing and directing nominations as well.
yup I know

You know, Ernest only has lovely things to say about you

atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was just putting the info into the thread. I meant to add a link and I forgot to do it :o

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...tiple-nominees
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

That's great!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntzmore (View Post)
I'm so excited for them! Damn, all I can think about is how it would've been different if GG or Bunheads were on a different network or streaming provider? Oh well, perhaps this newfound critical attention will bring more people to those other 2 shows of hers?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The guys I know who watch it were introduced by it through mom's or girlfriends. This guy I am friends with says he always impressed how Sookie was able to have a big career

Last edited by fox24; 07-13-2018 at 10:56 AM
fox24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

Here's a new TVline interview with Amy about her and MMM's Emmy nominations.
https://tvline.com/2018/07/12/amy-sh...us-mrs-maisel/

And a Variety article about how How ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Broke Through With Voters. Quotes by Amy and Dan.
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/mar...ns-1202871835/
Old 07-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for those!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:45 AM
Elite Fan

It's a shame the voters couldn't see the brilliance in either GG or Bunheads but I couldn't be more thrilled for ASP and TMMM! After I complete my Bunheads rewatch I'll be finishing up TMMM. I can't wait to see Zac Levi in it! He is very tall, I can attest to that!
Reply   Post New Thread