Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Friends Forever [Rory & Paris] #4: Because they'll always have each other

R O R Y • P A R I S

UNSHAKEABLE

On her first day at a new school, the easy-going Rory Gilmore meets the comically driven Paris Geller, who immediately views Rory as an academic rival. Though neither of them realize it, this introduction marks the beginning of a bond that will endure for decades. Throughout the series, Rory pacifies Paris when she's too high-strung, while Paris motivates Rory when she loses her way. All the while, they grow increasingly closer.

On the surface, Rory and Paris are just friends, which is perfectly fine for some of their fans. Others believe that their relationship fits the description of a romance, and have wished to see them paired as lovers.

Testimonials

"When Paris Met Rory: TV’s Last Great Teenage-Girl Friendship"
The Atlantic

"23 Times Rory And Paris Were The One True Gilmore Girls Couple"
BuzzFeed

"Gilmore Girls: 17 Reasons Rory’s Soul Mate Is Actually Paris"
TV Guide

"Working with Affect in Feminist Readings: Disturbing Differences"
—Marianne Liljestrom and Susanna Paasonen

"14 Famous Best Friends Who Should Totally Be Dating Instead"
Revelist

"Forget Backstabbing, Gilmore Girls’ Paris Geller Fights With Wit And Brains"
Autostraddle

"For All The Ships That Sail: Rory Gilmore and Paris Geller"
Rogues Portal

"The Real Love Story of Gilmore Girls"
—Lilith

The Kiss

One of Paris and Rory's most famous moments, seen in the seventeenth episode of the fourth season.
Since the airing of this kiss, several works of fan-created fiction and art have explored romantic feelings between Rory and Paris.
chilton alum:
001. Fred Pryce
002. labrador
003. UnaVitaSegreta
004. [ Biohazard . Kitty ]
005. Kelly1280
006. gilmore-girl123
007. Roswell 10/2/00
008. hellojojo123
009. Lisa2011
010. LukaAbbyLover
011. Zutfan05
012. padfootsprincess02
013. hell to pay
014. courtneybangelcakes
015. Lindsay
016. maja_m&m
017. murphyboy11
018. Atsuko
019. baelfire24
020. WileyDairyGnome
021. Miss Chambers
022. *~Sophia~*
023. socialfirefighter
024. tell me a lie
025. Swift2Potter
026. Talula78
027. just stand still
028. TV_Fanatic90
029. atwoodsmariano

+ you never know where you might find a friend

past threads:
+ 1,2,3

Drawings: Project Pory

Last edited by Lindsay; 09-11-2019 at 04:15 PM
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Tftnt! Since the writers didn't write these two as a couple I'm just going to tweak the title a bit. You are more than welcome to discuss them and the desire to make them a couple here but just respect those who feel they were just friends.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks. I don't think there was any disrespect to canon here, though. I thought it would be fun to use a new title. "Unshakeable" referred to their last conversation in the series.

Quote:
Paris, I haven't been able to shake you off all these years. We're going to be friends for a very long time.
As for the heart in the title, there's also one in Rory and Lorelai's thread. It can just refer to affection. Glad you liked the thread, though.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I didn't want to change the title that much without everyone's input. I know you weren't meaning any disrespect with it, but we try to be democratic & get everyone's feedback before we change things like titles, new headers/banners, etc.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

Okay. Just clearing up that the thread didn't call them a couple. Rory does say that their bond is unshakeable, and they do harbor affection throughout the show (hence the heart). Hope we see them again.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

If Lindsay and others are okay with it, I'll be fine with changing it back but we just ask that you check with us before you alter titles, etc., that's all.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

This thread is for an appreciation of their friendship. I'm sorry, but we were thinking of changing the OP back to the old one since this isn't a shipper thread. We do have a thread for Unconventional Couples where you could post about shipping Rory and Paris. That thread is here. And please don't feel like you can't post here at all. We like chatting with you. Feel free to post here about their friendship whenever you want. We aren't trying to exclude you in any way. We just want to keep this as a friendship thread. Thanks for understanding!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay (View Post)
Thanks for understanding!
I don't understand.

I don't get the sudden tension. Maybe someone can explain how this qualifies as a "shipper thread," because the OP doesn't call them a couple, and doesn't contain anything that we haven't talked about in these threads before.

Jen, I posted links to some similar articles previously, and you had no objection.

Lindsay, I posted artwork of them kissing, and you had no problem with it.

The OP addresses the fact that some people like the idea of them as a couple.

When did it become forbidden to address the fact that some people like the idea of them as a couple?

Is that forbidden in platonic girl/guy threads too?

Do what you like, of course. It's just left me confused. And for the record, I happen to love their friendship. That's why I started watching.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

James, it's a little different when you simply post about liking them as a couple here and there to completely altering an existing OP and title without our permission and turning it into both a friendship and a couple thread. This board is organized in a way that there are non-romantic relationship threads and romantic relationship threads, and we're responsible, as Mods, to keep things organized. We're not trying to scare you away from posting. Like Lindsay said, we enjoy talking to you about these two. I actually had forgotten about the unconventional couples thread and I'd love to keep discussing them in a romantic context over there. Please try to understand, we don't mean to hurt or offend you in any way.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
This board is organized in a way that there are non-romantic relationship threads and romantic relationship threads
I guess I hadn't noticed that on the GG board, because no one ever said "friendship only" before when we brought up romantic content in past R/P threads. So, I thought that if it was okay for the thread, it was okay for the OP.

Again, the OP has about a dozen friendship pictures and only one kiss picture, and it just mentions the fact that some people like them as lovers (including major publications), so I'm not sure what the issue is.

But change it back to whatever you like.

Question: Is it okay to use the title "Unshakeable," since that's a canonical reference to their bond, and maybe include a heart, since Rory/Lorelai have one on their thread?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I did say what I thought. The artists are talented and the drawings are good. That doesn't mean that I ship them though. We were fine with them being posted because they don't violate FF's rules or anything. We just wanted to clarify that this is a non-romantic friendship thread. I guess we should have done that in the previous thread, but we didn't realize you wanted the OP and title (heart) changed to reference their ship. We have other threads for romantic relationships and for Rory/Paris, it would be the UC thread because they were never canon on the show. We don't mind you seeing their relationship differently. We just need to keep friendship stuff in this thread. And shipping stuff in the other one. Others who potentially want to post here might not care to see shipping stuff. We just realized it's better to keep it separate. Also, Lorelai and Rory are mother and daughter so it makes sense to have a heart in the title. I don't think any other ones besides the shipper threads have them then. And I think keeping 'Friends Forever' also clarifies that it is a friendship appreciation thread. Once again, please don't feel like you're not welcome here. We just wanted to clear things up when we saw the OP, etc changed.

Last edited by Lindsay; 05-24-2018 at 08:08 PM
Old 05-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Obsessed Fan

No, no. I understand that you don't ship them. I'll just reiterate what I said: "I thought that if it was okay for the thread, it was okay for the OP."

You're saying now that it's not okay in the thread or OP. I understand.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

James,

Last edited by Talula78; 05-25-2018 at 08:54 AM
Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Of all the people to be saying that, it's Paris.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread