Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Passionate Fan

'A Family Matter' Episode Discussion

Luke (Scott Patterson) is wary when his ditzy sister Liz (guest star Kathleen Whilhoite, "ER") shows up for an unexpected visit. Lorelai (Lauren Graham) promises Jason (Chris Eigeman) that she will tell her parents about their relationship, but changes her mind after Emily (Kelly Bishop) jokes about how laughable it would be if Lorelai and Jason began dating. When Paris (Liza Weil) confesses to Rory (Alexis Bledel) that her affair with the professor is becoming serious, Rory reminds her how badly she is treating her boyfriend Jamie (guest star Brandan Barash), so Paris breaks up with him. Finally, Luke discovers Jess' car is missing and reports it stolen, but discovers that Jess has come back to town to pick up the car. Rory comes upon Jess (Milo Ventimiglia) sleeping in his car but walks away without speaking to him.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"...with Mardi Gras I kinda have a problem cause you see, I dont like to be topless no dont give it away for free...I guess thats just me. Oh Ellen I don't wanna show my melons just for a string of beads!" - Lauren Graham singing and playing piano on The Ellen Show
ESipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Supreme Fan

why am i suddenly reminded of steve urkel [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

RORY: What'd I miss?
EMILY: I was just admiring your mother's life.
RORY: Oh, I do that daily.
* Kay * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by * Kay *:
<STRONG>why am i suddenly reminded of steve urkel [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I swear I was just going to ask why. But then I got it.
"...with Mardi Gras I kinda have a problem cause you see, I dont like to be topless no dont give it away for free...I guess thats just me. Oh Ellen I don't wanna show my melons just for a string of beads!" - Lauren Graham singing and playing piano on The Ellen Show
Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Addicted Fan

I acutally quite enjoyed this episode, much to my surprise.

The first thing I noticed was the happy, old-school la-la's right at the beginning. Yay!

I want the Girls' coats! That pink one Lorelai was wearing? Dude.

Kirk and his flirting! Bwah! I loved that between him and Lorelai.

"The speed limit is 12." Tee-hee.

Okay, poor Jamie. I felt so, so bad for him in this episode. But that break-up was totally Paris, sad as it seems.

I liked the Luke/Jess moments and I'm glad they didn't push Rory/Jess. I definitely liked Luke's speech about family/spilled drinks. Very Luke.

I thought that Liz seemed rather miscast, or maybe written wrong. First, I never envisioned her looking like that. Blonde? Wha...? Luke is dark haired, Jess is dark haired, one would expect Liz to be dark haired. Her bohemian-ness was a little... I don't know. It just rubbed me wrong.

Jason/Lorelai was okay, but I wanted to hit him with his cell phone. I think they overdid that just a pinch. Then again, it was Daniel.

Emily and her laughing fit? It sounded about as real as Rory's crying. Or maybe I just haven't heard Emily laugh very much.

One fashion point was detracted from this episode for Rory's skirt/sweater combo in the teaser.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tonight's epsiode was good. I liked how Lorelia and Luke were kidding around with Kirk and he kept saying " I have a girlfriend" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]. Jess is still looking cute as always, I just hope he chills out for a bit with the attitdude. I think he can be a good person when he wants to be. Also I cant wait for him and Rory to interact with each other. The scenes with Lorelia/Jason were ok, I dont really like him that much. Probaly cause I am a big L/L fan, but anywho, it was funny how Emily kept laughing about picturing Lorelia with Jason.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Elite Fan

Wow, 2 great episodes in a row, things are looking up. And kat- about Lor's pink coat- ditto! I want that coat.
This felt like another season 2 episode. It was filmed like it too. Someone at the WB must have sat Amy down or something because you can 'feel' that things are getting back on track. Cute Jamie was back [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] My favorite moment is the Lorelai/Mrs.Kim scene- short but so sweet. That story is turning out to be quite nice. The teaser was great too.
Loved the Luke/Jess scenes, the way Lorelai cared about Jess in the car- and the way Jess brought Luke and Lorelai together again in their last scene together. I'm so glad we didn't see a breaking down Rory.

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited Kelly_mvpics ]
Old 02-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Emily and her laughing fit? It sounded about as real as Rory's crying. Or maybe I just haven't heard Emily laugh very much.
Oh my god, I know.

Family crisis meant I only saw the second half.

If loving Jess is wrong (which seems to be the current trend) then I don't ever want to be right. I still feel for the surly son-of-a-bitch, so help me god. Loved the previews.

That's all.
emrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by emrie:
<STRONG>If loving Jess is wrong (which seems to be the current trend) then I don't ever want to be right. I still feel for the surly son-of-a-bitch, so help me god. Loved the previews.</STRONG>
emrie, I love you.

Umm... I want to watch this episode again. And I can, because I recorded it, which I haven't done in forever with this show. And then I'll comment about how much I loved it, and loved almost every plot in it, and how I can't wait till next week, and maybe I'll even add in some girly stuff about me swooning over Milo. (Sneak peek: His name in the credits!!!)

One thing: How did Jamie get into the dining hall? You need a Proxy Card to get into the Yale dorms/residence halls to begin with, although I suppose you could have some student hold the door for you (not that I did that before or anything... especially not this weekend... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] ...), but he'd have to have a Yale ID to get into the dining hall...
Oh, and why is Rory always eating alone? Why won't she make friends already?

Okay, really. More later.
BrownEyedGirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AvidTVfan:
<STRONG> emrie, I love you.</STRONG>
But I love her more. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Oh, and why is Rory always eating alone? Why won't she make friends already?
That was the only thing missing from this ep - Marty!

Kelly - I loved the Lorelai/Mrs. Kim scene too. It was a nice touch.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Overall a good episode.

The one thing I really loved though was the end with Rory badgering Lorelai about her financial situation. Money troubles ahead, maybe? I'd absolutly love to see them tackle that storyline.

So... not much else to say. It wasn't the best episode, but it wasn't the worst, and I left feeling satisfied. Always a good thing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ESipher:
<STRONG>The one thing I really loved though was the end with Rory badgering Lorelai about her financial situation. Money troubles ahead, maybe? I'd absolutly love to see them tackle that storyline.
</STRONG>
I can't believe I forgot to mention that! I was so happy to see them tackling that. My dad and I have wondered about that since the first season, where Lorelai got enough money to eat out three times a day and subscribe to 3,078,873 magazines. The writers have finally entered the realm of reality and it's cool and I hope this goes somewhere.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

wow. wow. wow. this show is back to good! i'm so happy. needless to say, loved the episode. i think what i liked the most was that all of the plotlines had a point... in earlier episodes of this season some of the plotlines were so pointless i felt like they were filler or something.

when rory told that paris that she would never mistreat a person who loved her, did anyone want to yell "Hello! Dean!!!" i thought that was kinda annoying, but i can't wait for next week... scenes with jess... full of angst.... [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Supreme Fan

lorelai/jason bores me. i used to like them, but, not anymore. hee that jason's a trekkie, cause, um, luke's also a trekkie [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

paris was such a b*tch to jamie. poor guy. and, it was his birthday, too! i just wanted to give him a big hug [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]

it's cute that lane's becoming friendly with rory's roommates. where was janet?

it was nice of lorelai to pay a visit to mrs. kim. really thoughtful.

ok, um, daniel missed out on a huge opportunity with liz being there. where was the lorelai/liz scene? where the hell was it? he totally missed out on that. it could have been really good. liz's voice was kind of annoying, though. liked the luke/liz interaction a lot.

shoutout to all the paris/richard shippers, she inadvertently called richard hot! when rory said that her grandfather introduced paris to asher fleming, paris was like, "well, hot guys come in packs" [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

it would be interesting to see if the financial problems play out.

not commenting on jess. not even going there with the preview.

but...um, what was with the l/l exchange in the promo?

luke-oh, you're all dressed up.
lorelai-just for you.

it's definitely the wb trying to make the l/l fans think that something's gonna happen, and i hate when they do stuff like that.

RORY: What'd I miss?
EMILY: I was just admiring your mother's life.
RORY: Oh, I do that daily.
* Kay * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by * Kay *:
<STRONG>lorelai/jason bores me. i used to like them, but, not anymore. </STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Lets just say you aren't alone...

Quote:
did anyone want to yell "Hello! Dean!!!"
I did, literally, at the T.V. Its amazing how all of us know so much more about the show than the writers themselves. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

I loved the episode! So many good scenes. For me, it was better than last week's because there was no band.

Lane at Yale was adorable. I hope that she is sleeping on the beautiful couch, not on the floor like she said she did last week. Helping Tanna fix her hair was so cute.

How sweet was it when Lorelai told Mrs. Kim about Lane being at Yale. Just two mothers connecting on something meaningful. I feel so sorry for Mrs. Kim too.

Jason/Lorelai was very funny, especially the Mrs. Robinson quip about Emily. I like their chemistry with their humor. Yeah, I know that Luke and Lorelai will get together, but I like seeing Lorelai happy and I hope that Jason turns out to be a good guy. Interesting how both Jason and Luke were Trekkies.

Emily laughing about Lorelai and Jason was a little odd, but I just think that she hates Jason because Richard is so busy with work and everything. It's not really about Jason so much, except that she doesn't respect how he is trying to "compete" with his dad.

Luke/Liz was very interesting, although I'm not completely sold on the casting of Liz. I can't see hunky Jimmy being attracted to her. She's a good enough actress and I could sense some "familiar" interaction with her and Scott(Luke). I would like to see her and Luke "reunite" somewhat. I don't like the idea of Luke being estranged emoltionally from his family. No wonder he married Nicole.

Luke/Jess was good drama just like expected. I read spoilers, so I know what's going happen, but I certainly hope that we find out that he passed his GED and is working or something. When you think about it, it was kinda mean that Luke stole Jess's car. Jess worked hard for that piece of junk.

No, I do not like Jess/Rory together ever. I mean ever. But, I do like Lorelai and Rory having serious discussions about him if he has to be on.

I really enjoyed all of the Paris/Professor/Jamie/Rory stuff. I'm glad that it's not being ignored. Rory was being a hypocrite when she said something like, "How can you treat him like that when he loves you?" Liza is a phenomenal actress, so I was pleased with all of her airtime. Did anyone else feel sorry for Paris? She is such a lost soul. Maybe it's because I teach 18-19 year olds, but my heart was breaking a little for her. I would love to see Lorelai help her get out of the May/Ming Dynasty relationship.

Finally, Daniel P. wrote a very witty but endearing Lorelai. She wasn't bizarre and over the top at all. She felt badly for Mrs. Kim and Jess, the frozen carcas. I love Lauren Graham. She was absolutely perfect tonight.

Hey, spoiler fans, did anyone notice what scene was cut? Lorelai and Jason going to the club with the Japanese businessmen and the whole karaoke thing. That was probably a good thing.

I give this episode two big thumbs up! A!!!!
curlyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread