Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2018, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairfan21 (View Post)
But part of me still thinks the events at the end of S3 was influenced by the spin-off that didn't happen.
I can see that.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 AM
Loyal Fan

I don't really care about the people that hate Jess loving Jack. It does bug me however that Jack gets all this adoration, yet he became an alcoholic and basically rubbished his wife's career. Adult Jess has too much strength of character to turn to the bottle and he would never in a million years criticise Rory's career....even when warranted. And, if we believe in Amy's full circle crap and Scott Pattersons take on things, he is about to help raise another mans child.

Yet Jack is a God and Jess is s jerk. That really irritates me.

It also bugs me when certain quarters refuse to acknowledge the growth we see. I just hate the narrow minded 'I hate him because he was a jerk when he was a messed up teenager' argument. He was bought in to shake things up for Luke and Rory, and I also feel like Amy had to make him so messed up in order to break Rory and Jess up. They had established the intellectual and physical connection between them and if would be totally unbelievable to just have them get sick of each other and break up. They had to make him a screw up.

And Jess matured, became successful in a career he loves, and has become a confidante to both Luke and Rory...all on his own....with nothing to his name...and without grandparents fortune or daddy's connections.

It infuriates me when people ignore all of that and only focus on his teenage mistakes .
Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

Here's my take-I think he's a much more developed character in This Is Us than he ever was on GG. There's much more to his performance in TIU than he ever had on GG. It's a chance to really show his acting chops and I appreciate that with any actor. I know he was supposed to be in a spin-off as Jess and maybe that would've changed my mind about Jess but since his growth and development all happened off screen it was hard for me to believe. Anyway, this is a Jess celebration thread and I don't want to rain on y'all's parade so please continue to adore him.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlover73 (View Post)
I don't really care about the people that hate Jess loving Jack. It does bug me however that Jack gets all this adoration, yet he became an alcoholic and basically rubbished his wife's career. Adult Jess has too much strength of character to turn to the bottle and he would never in a million years criticise Rory's career....even when warranted. And, if we believe in Amy's full circle crap and Scott Pattersons take on things, he is about to help raise another mans child.

Yet Jack is a God and Jess is s jerk. That really irritates me.

It also bugs me when certain quarters refuse to acknowledge the growth we see. I just hate the narrow minded 'I hate him because he was a jerk when he was a messed up teenager' argument. He was bought in to shake things up for Luke and Rory, and I also feel like Amy had to make him so messed up in order to break Rory and Jess up. They had established the intellectual and physical connection between them and if would be totally unbelievable to just have them get sick of each other and break up. They had to make him a screw up.

And Jess matured, became successful in a career he loves, and has become a confidante to both Luke and Rory...all on his own....with nothing to his name...and without grandparents fortune or daddy's connections.

It infuriates me when people ignore all of that and only focus on his teenage mistakes .
I'm not that familiar with the show. Was that before or after the kids came?

what resonates with me the most about Jess as a character is that he went from being this lost, bitter, angry-at-the world kid who was going nowhere with his life to someone who found something that he loved to do and a purpose in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Here's my take-I think he's a much more developed character in This Is Us than he ever was on GG. There's much more to his performance in TIU than he ever had on GG. It's a chance to really show his acting chops and I appreciate that with any actor. I know he was supposed to be in a spin-off as Jess and maybe that would've changed my mind about Jess but since his growth and development all happened off screen it was hard for me to believe. Anyway, this is a Jess celebration thread and I don't want to rain on y'all's parade so please continue to adore him.
idk how many of you guys on this thread have also watched him on Heroes so I can't make any comparisons to his acting on that show but he does some of his best acting on that show (I just think he's a very talented, well-rounded, versatile actor)

I know he didn't show up again that often after S3 mainly due to Milo being released from his contract and him wanting to pursue other acting opportunities but like I've stated before in the previous Jess thread or Lit threads the fact that he only shows up a handful of times makes the scenes that he is in that much more meaningful and impactful

I actually feel like what little we saw in Here Comes the Son shows enough of the effects that childhood abandonment/neglect had on Jess growing up and we didn't need an entire spin-off series to explore that

it would've been interesting to see his relationship with Sasha's daughter Lily though

personally for me I would've liked to see more of his life with Liz in NY before he came to Stars Hollow like they did on The O.C. where they showed Ryan Atwood in Chino before he moved to Newport

and I don't think/feel like the fact that some character growth happened offscreen devalues his character growth arc at all

like they said on Gilmore Guys each time he comes back he's becoming a better version of himself

You know, Ernest only has lovely things to say about you

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 05-30-2018 at 04:07 AM
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 AM
Loyal Fan

Well said Dairfan.

I don't know what further evidence is needed. Yes he did have limited scenes in seasons 4 and 6 but they were, as you said Dairfan, very meaningful and packed a punch.

And in the revival, yet again we get limited scenes, but he is there for Luke, Rory, even his mother. The woman he had no time for in his teens, he is now helping and spending time with.

And the number 1 piece of evidence that he has turned out to be a great guy...Lorelai blows him a kiss and wants him to stay for pizza. Lorelai! Gosh how I wish we got to see how we arrived there.

Out of the 3 guys he was written to turn out the best by far, even though I guess Dean did get a decent end by the revival. Let's just hope his wife doesn't speak to other men or want a career.

Jack's alcoholism has been a long term issue I think, right up to his death. Someone correct me if I am off the mark with this.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Elite Fan

Actually, speaking of Heroes, I'm doing some spring cleaning and was curious if any of you would like the entire series new & unopened? They're Region 1 DVDs of course. I'd just ask that you pay for the shipping. Anyone interested?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Actually, speaking of Heroes, I'm doing some spring cleaning and was curious if any of you would like the entire series new & unopened? They're Region 1 DVDs of course. I'd just ask that you pay for the shipping. Anyone interested?
I might be interested

Old 05-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And the number 1 piece of evidence that he has turned out to be a great guy...Lorelai blows him a kiss and wants him to stay for pizza. Lorelai! Gosh how I wish we got to see how we arrived there.
Right! I would have loved to see that too.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Loyal Fan

This is interesting
https://truncheonpress.tumblr.com/po...kerouac-on-the

All the literature mentions and sightings from Jess. There are 3 parts. I liove that there is a a Truncheon Press tumblr
Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Jack's alcoholism has been a long term issue I think, right up to his death. Someone correct me if I am off the mark with this.
I'm pretty sure he also deals with PTSD/depression after serving in the Vietnam War. It kinda all goes hand in hand.

Quote:
This is interesting
https://truncheonpress.tumblr.com/po...kerouac-on-the

All the literature mentions and sightings from Jess. There are 3 parts. I liove that there is a a Truncheon Press tumblr
Jess is the literary boyfriend of my dreams

yeah there's also a Twitter and an IG account

and the actual Subsect novella as well

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 05-30-2018 at 06:20 PM
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I might be interested
Excellent! Just PM me your details (shipping address, etc.) & I'll have them ready for you.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Loyal Fan

https://mattchingicons.tumblr.com/po...like-or-reblog
Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 PM
Elite Fan

Baby Milo.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Addicted Fan

I currently have Milo/Lit icons set as my profiles for a lot of my accounts

Old 06-01-2018, 01:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I currently have Milo/Lit icons set as my profiles for a lot of my accounts
Good girl . We need to spread the love.