Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Supreme Fan

5.05 We Got Us A Pippi Virgin Episode Discussion Thread

Quote:
Feeling bad that her relationship with Dean (Jared Padalecki) has become awkward, Lorelai (Lauren Graham) suggests that she and Luke (Scott Patterson) double-date with Rory (Alexis Bledel) and Dean, but the evening turns ugly when Luke is unable to disguise the fact that he thinks Dean isn't good enough for Rory. Meanwhile, Emily (Kelly Bishop) and Richard (Edward Herrmann) are lonely and a little lost without one another, but neither can take the first step toward reconciliation.

RORY: What'd I miss?
EMILY: I was just admiring your mother's life.
RORY: Oh, I do that daily.
* Kay * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thought this episode was good! I really liked it.

I thought the whole bop it scene with Luke & Dean was funny.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:51 PM
New Fan

I'm pissed that Lorelai didn't say anything when he was making his speech about how Dean "bailed out of his marrige" and "didn't know what he wanted" and how he was "pining for Rory". HELLO, describing yourself a little?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

Where the hell is passion between L/L? What the hell can we celebrate? I'm not settling for this so-called-relationship, and you guys shouldn't either.
MMS Supporter - #71
ILY Supporter - #84
PDA Supporter - #32
WYMM Supporter - #41
lili67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Dedicated Fan

This episode was okay for me. I was expecting a little more because of the title, but here goes:

LIKED

1. The entire panic room conversation. Hilarious! It started with Lorelai entering and seeing the panic room and it didn't stop until they went to rummage through the pool house.

2. Rummaging through the pool house. It's such an Emily thing to do. Thus proving once again that lorelai and Emily are more alike than they're willing to admit, Lorelai goes along with rooting through the house while Rory is uncomfortable.

3. I liked the tipping conversation between Luke and Lorelai. Very cute.

4. I like Lane and Zach. And Zach actually came off as sympathetic to me in this episode.

5. Rory and Lorelai singing along to Pippi Longstocking. Great!

6. The last conversation between Dean and Rory. Foreshadowing much?

7. The way Luke had his arm around Lorelai while they were walking. Yes it's a girlie thing, but it was hot!

NOT SO MUCH

1. I was waiting for Lorelai to call Luke on over-identifying with Dean or for Lorelai to tell Luke why the thing with Dean had to work, but it never came. Missed out on a good conversation there.

2. Luke wasn't acting like himself. Sure he can rant. Sure he's ornery, but he wasn't being amiable in the least tonight. Normal Luke would have tried to be nice. I didn't see that tonight.

3. Emily's reaction to Richard reaching out. Emily you are more like your daughter than you'll ever know. I wanted her to at least acknowledge that he was reaching out, but that would've been too easy I suppose.

4. What happened to Madonna Louise? I know Emily has musical maids, but she really seemed to have bonded with madoon in the last episode. She was the Gwyneth in that relationship!

5. The promo. And so it begins. I'm half-excited to see where this is going to go, but on the other hand as much as the Evil WB promo voiceover told us Luke and lorelai were getting closer, I didn't see it tonight.

Overall not a bad episode, but I would have liked to have seen more love in the LL relationship before Christopher's return. Rory and Dean are crumbling, which was inevitable. Lane might actually get some lovin' and Emily and Richard need to open the lines of communication.

---
My dear little librarian, pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering.
daydreamer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Loyal Fan

I LOVED this episode, absolutley loved it!!

Dean and Rory were so good together, it so brought back memories of Season 1, this will probably rank as one of my favorite episodes of the season I'm sure!
Meekomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
New Fan

This episode was really wonderful. The concentration on the principal characters was a nice change from the recent townie storylines (which I like but it was time for a really GGirls centric episode).

Right mix of humor, tension and sweetness.

There will be so much dissection of the Luke speech about why he doesn't think Dean is good enough for Rory. The parallels between Dean and Luke are obviously there, but there are so many differences too. There are so many ways to read that speech and the motivations behind Luke's behavior during the double date.

An important fact about Dean is that he is NOT good enough for Rory (yes maybe future Dean can turn into something but as of now he had absolutely no direction or future). Also, Luke is so the father Rory never had. He is very protective and that is sweet.
psharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Master Fan

I haven't seen the ep yet so my analysis might change after i see it later this afternoon.

Just a quick note, a lot of people are saying that Luke wasn't himself, aka regarding Dean. But if I remember correctly in Season One and the whole breaking Rory's heart he acted exactly the same way he was in this episode (going by previews, etc) - since day one he didn't think Dean was good enough for Rory so I don't really see how he's changed his stance in that regard.

Twitter: nlm78
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

I really enjoyed this episode. So before i head back to my massive amounts of homework, here's my weekly review post.

Richard/Emily: Have I mentioned how much I'm adoring this plotline? Because I am. I felt awful for Richard in this episode...he's obviously missing Emily terribly. And it shows. And Rory was so sweet trying to reach out and help them. I think Emily misses him too, but she has odd ways of showing it. That panic room scene was one of the funniest things I've ever scene (the look on Lorelai's face when she was pretending to be a bad guy? priceless.), all the way up to when they were snooping around the poolhouse. The last scene with them was awesome as well. They both wanted to reach out, but just couldn't quite do it. Kelly and Edward have been amazing this season.

Lane/Zach: This was cute. Lane has been so great so far this year. I loved her confession last week, and her re-using it on Rory was hilarious. Zach came off as not so much of a jerk for once (i'm not a big fan of his), and the scene in the diner was adorable. And can I just say that Keiko is getting prettier every year? she looked gorgeous in the scene where she didn't have her glasses on.

Not enough Sookie in this episode for my liking, but the opening scene was so funny. "I'll forge that for ya!"

Rory/Dean: not fair that they kiss all the time and L/L don't. heh. but this was obviously the beginning of the end for them. They just...I don't know, aren't quite comfortable talking. They make out, they leave. That last convo was very clearly signalling that they aren't gonna last much longer. yay. heh. The date was cute. Dean was actually pretty funny trying to deal with Angry!Luke, because he was so flustered. But maybe thats just me. I personally really liked the date, the movie scene was hilarious and the scene at the house was funny too, with the tension being just right to get the point across without it being a huge fight.

Kirk cracks me up. Seeing him make out with Lulu made me almost die laughing.

Luke/Lorelai: while i do wish there was some making out (lol), i liked what we got. The tipping conversation was cute, and their convo at the end was really sweet. They were able to have a serious conversation, work it out, and that hug was just so sweet. Luke cares so much for her and for Rory, and its the nicest thing ever. And seeing them walking with his arm around her and stuff...its just sweet.

the promo...ahhh...next week will quite obviously make me mad. Chris is going to mess things up soon. bah.

</end ramble>
Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Tonights episode was pretty good.... maybe I was just really tired, but it was hilarious! I laughed so hard I cried.

#1 histerical moment: Rory and Lorelai singing along to Pippi Longstocking that was too funny.

Loved the panic room scene, that was great, and the girls sneaking in the pool house, hilarious! I love all Emily and Lorelai interactions.

Some other thoughts: I liked the exchange between Lane and Zack at the end; I'm warming up to that idea.
I'm kinda surprised they're continuing on with the whole town selectman thing, hopefully it will get sorted out in future episode, Taylor, as annoying as he is, is the only man for the job. I am glad we were focused more on the "Girls" tonight and took a break from the townies, I love of but don't want to be overloaded with them.

As far as the lack of LL loving, after last week's episode I had really convinced myself not to expect anything and so I wasn't disappointed. LOVED the hug... so sweet. I was so siding with Luke tonight. I love protective Luke and I loved his little rant about how dean was not good enough for Rory; although I think they missed out on a good conversation for L&L, there was something missing about that exchange, then the hug came though so I'm ok with it.... BUT?!

Overall it was a good ep., not wonderful but good. I do wish I felt a little bit more secure regarding LL's relationship... I'm so NOT ready for what's coming next week!

-Rach
hollowpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 AM
Passionate Fan

The purpose of the episode was to try to manipulate the audience into "feeling" for Dean. And to my disapointment wasn't really much about Luke and Lorelai.

A few observations...

1) Rory tells Grandpa "You can never tire me." Wonder if Rory got that from Paris. And Rory, help out two people in your life who need a rebound. Setup Richard and Paris.

2) Dean tried to show nervousness around Lorelai. But what he really showed is he has much better chemistry with Lorelai than Rory.

3) Lorelai's sudden interest in being buddies with Dean is perplexing. First of all I don't understand how she can approve of what is going on. I can understand not interfering and not wanting to cause resentment with your daughter. But enthusiasm?

Second. Even with their unnatural "closeness" from my own experience. It isnt a bit uncomfortable seeing a parental unit try to get buddy buddy with a signifigant other.

4) We learn Luke doesnt know about the affair. While he may be disconnected, he did know about Rory's breakup with Dean right after it happened.

In other words TBTB wanted to re-emphasize that there is no consequences whatsoever for Rory in case we were at all unclear.

5) Kyle + Dean? Seem perfect for each other.

6) Second episode in a row where a possible Lane + Rory match is hinted at.

7) Rory claims divorce is not the answer. After all, since when should marriage vows stop someone from doing what they want?

8) What's wrong with Decline of the Roman Empire? One of my favorite works. Yeah. History major.

9) Because of the pixie dust sprinkled over the show the 's' word when referring to Rory and Dean only refers to "slacks."

10) Woo! Got to see Alexis sing again, albeit very quietly.

11) Luke is made to look irrational and overprotective. He doesnt know about the affair but to the extent he suspects anything he seems to blame Dean for even considering being with anyone else besides Little Miss Perfect. But at least he acknowledges Dean is a punk.

12) Lorelai goes too far out of her way to defend him. Though perhaps to be fair she has to hide how she feels because otherwise she'd have to explain to him about the affair and how things really transpired.

12) Dean asks Lorelai for a beer. Ummmm. This is a family that wont even let Rory drink wine at dinner. And you don't take your alchohol well anyway. Not a swift move Dean.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by musicalxchaos
Not enough Sookie in this episode for my liking, but the opening scene was so funny. "I'll forge that for ya!"
Oh I forgot about that part, it was hilarious. And sookie is one of the few townies I can never get enough of.

*trying to think happy thoughts about next weeks episode* lalala, not working! From the promo though I think I might start liking Rory again.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raja
3) Lorelai's sudden interest in being buddies with Dean is perplexing. First of all I don't understand how she can approve of what is going on. I can understand not interfering and not wanting to cause resentment with your daughter. But enthusiasm?
In other words TBTB wanted to re-emphasize that there is no consequences whatsoever for Rory in case we were at all unclear.
I'm with you... there were definitely a few scratch your head, "what the hell" kind of moments tonight. That bugs me!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

"Pippi! Pippi" OMG did you see Rorys face Liked the eppy. but need some Logan , Marty and school in it.

My Videos
~Naleylove22~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Loyal Fan

Raja the voice of sanity.

I really didn't like this episode much. Other then the little Jess mention (which I'll admit, was well deserved at that point), nothing stands out. I know it wasn't a filler epsiode, but it really didn't feel substantial. The drama wasn't dramatic enough to really be drama, and the humor (other then Rory and Lorealu singing) wasn't really funny. Luke was on the money with a lot of what he said, but he didn't have any foundation for it. I was hoping for Luke and Lorelai to really talk about it. For Lorelai to share how she really felt about Rory and Dean together.
We didn't get that. I'm disapointed. There was nothing in this episode for me.

I'm mad, cause I was defending the season fanalie last season because I was counting on the fallout as being something really interesting. But its awful. Sorry, rant over.

"We’re gonna raise the level of public debate in this country, and let that be our legacy."

To The West Wing
Jewls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top