Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

I've got the old dvd covers too. When they first came out. Thank god I didn't wait.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Master Fan

What, what? i haven't even seen those new ones! Pictures anyone?
| Visit Shiri Appleby |
| Parks and Rec campaing |
| Icon x |
Pempees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Absolute Fan

really? you missed the fun then

in this site you can see all the covers plus the non official ones and the foreign language covers
Roswell DVDs - English Language

here the new covers (click on the pic to see the back cover too)

season 1

Old|new

season 2

old | new

originally they released the new cover like that

then they decided to replace Liz with Valenti in the manipulation

i can imagine them thinking "ok we're too pathetic. Liz is more important than Valenti we have to add her"
honestly i was indifferent either way

I like the original/old cover because i liked the idea of using a pic from the season 1 cover (the alien trio) that was in the background there and make it bigger for the season 2 cover. It made sense.

season 3
old | new

the new covers are prettier photoshop-vise but they make me cringe for the manipulations and fake proportions just to make Isabel look bigger and prominent
I really don't know what they were thinking when they decided to make those.
Do they REALLY think that people will buy roswell just because "emmy winner katherine" was in it? her fans aren't stupid and anyway everyone knows what the story is really about. Come on.

i have the Uk sets that you can see in the site
*Coccy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Master Fan

I got the UK set as well. I like it quite much, the third season is just a disappointment, because Liz isn't in it :/ But the new ones are ridiculous! But that is just because Katie is the 'most famous' one. But yeah, I agree, that wouldn't make people want to watch it. Random people wouldn't watch it because it says 'emmy winner Katherine heigl'

Also yeah, Katherine being a bit bigger than the others, just makes it look creepy

Edit. I love the german and japanese versions
| Visit Shiri Appleby |
| Parks and Rec campaing |
| Icon x |
Pempees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

I have the original ones as well thank god but I hate that they remade them just to make Isabel look like a prominent character. If people bought the set just because it says Katherine Heigl on it then they will be disappointed cause that's not what the story is about. It makes her look like the star and she's not!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh gosh, they didn't recreate those covers just to exploit more of Katherine Heigl!!! I had the original ones anyway but still.
GrhmLz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ya they did! Its so sad that they would do that.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Lol - that annoys me because it's not an accurate representation of Roswell. I get that Katherine has made it bigger on the bigscreen and all but c'mon. And avoiding 'Liz' all together on the second season?! While adding others?! No way, lol. That's worse than them putting Liz in the background on the S3 'revised' cover, as annoying as it still is.

Who's responsible for allowing the new covers ... or who decides it?! I was just curious.
GrhmLz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ya not having Liz at all on the cover was so dumb. Yes she had a smaller role in season 2 but she was still the female lead and should have been on the cover. Sometimes I do not understand what gives them these ideas.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 AM
Absolute Fan

the dvds aren't made by who created the show. 20th Century Fox made it. They also decided to replace the music for (C) reasons and they didn't add extras even though they already had them! ( the gag reels from season 1 and 3, the behind the scenes, alternate ending of leaving normal.. things that the fans got anyway, some posted at the original WB site)
the graphic designers that they pay to make the covers just have to recycle images that the Fox had on their site so everything is cheaper.
But anyway i doubt that they know all the shows they're making the covers for.

Like i said i didn't mind Liz not being in the original cover of season 2.... the one with the alien trio that was the background of the season 1 cover (i like how season 2 seemed a zoomed detail from the season 1 cover.. because season 2 is more sci-fi) . That makes more sense than putting the royal four since Max, Michael and Isabel are the main alien characters while Tess is not (*to me a royal four never really existed anyway it was obvious that the alien trio always had a deeper connection and even if they tried they hardly included Tess in *their* family) Aside from Liz it's even unfair to put Tess and not Kyle and Maria for example because the actors worked for more episodes than her, even William did. To be fair they should always follow the order from the opening credits and it's what they did in the old covers.

the german covers are really pretty and neat.
Japan is always cool
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Absolute Fan

(sorry for the double post)

this is cute

made by Vanilla Twilight

also posting this ani

from I married an alien
made by I'll never let go I promise

that episode is so stupid the only parts that i like are the cartoon opening credits (Max and Liz are the cutest ) and Max's parody ...he made me laugh He was cynical and had the whole "humans are inferior" attitude (so opposite of the real one) toward Jesse yet one look at Liz and he became a total sweetheart
I love the 60s look made for the crashdown and Liz's uniform

this also is the episode where Kris Polaha quest starred... and Max transformed his character into a dog
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Master Fan

I never realized how many different versions of the DVD covers there were! Of course, I've seen the original and the new versions (I have the new, unfortunately), but that's really cool to look at and compare the various designs.

As for "I Married an Alien," it's one of my least favorite episodes. It just... served no point, really, but it was also par for the course in the Isabel-centric third season.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ya there was a ton of versions. That is dumb, they shouldn't be making so many different versions of the dvd covers.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Absolute Fan

they should add extras like behind the scenes, cut scenes, the gag reels or maybe release the episodes with the original soundtrack! Who cares about the covers if the content is the same.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Coccy* (View Post)
they should add extras like behind the scenes, cut scenes, the gag reels or maybe release the episodes with the original soundtrack! Who cares about the covers if the content is the same.
Yep!

I especially would be interested in seeing all the episodes with the original music. I've looked up which songs were initially used, but it's not the same. Plus, whenever we an get behind the scenes footage, especially of the actors interacting with one another, I'm game for that!