Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Supreme Fan

Vintage ER Episode Discussion: "Fear of Flying" {November 7, 1996}

"Fear of Flying" - Full Episode Summary from ER Headquarters

Couldn't find any clips on Youtube. If anyone has any they want to share, post the links here and I'll edit them into this post.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Elite Fan

Oh, I really liked this one. I remember there was a great trauma sequence with a car crash family and Benton screwed up the baby girl's surgery. I loved Keaton berating him. "If that baby dies, it'll be my responsibility. But it'll be your fault!"

This was also the first episode with Nurse Rhonda, wasn't it? The nurse who mixed up a severed hand and a football or something.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Oh yes, I remember Nurse Rhonda. The one who didn't do floors, and didn't do this, and didn't do that. So annoying. And I loved Abby Keaton. The way she handled Benton was fabulous.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Elite Fan

Oh I remember this episode. One of the great trauma-episodes.
I liked Dr Keaton, even though I didn't really like her and Carter together...
Was Nurse Rhonda the blonde with short hair? The one who gave a kid KCl instead on NaCl and almost caused his heart to stop? I remember how much Carol hated her...

ETA: Thanks so much for the new thread Ash, I know it's really hard to manage a whole board on your own and fit real life as well, I did it with Scrubs a year ago. I hope you'll find a great co-mod!
icon: Permanent_99

Last edited by valeposh; 02-11-2008 at 02:37 AM
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Was Nurse Rhonda the blonde with short hair? The one who gave a kid KCl instead on NaCl and almost caused his heart to stop? I remember how much Carol hated her...
That's her.

There was a Fear of Flying behind the scenes featurette on the Season 3 DVD I remember watching. It was nice to hear Carter, Susan and Keaton reflecting on the making of such a complex episodes. I only wish similar features had been on subsequent DVDs. I've yet to buy the Season 10 DVD because there are no special features and everywhere is charging £32.99! No chance!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Elite Fan

I remember that. Gotta watch it again soon... atm I'm rewatching s2, one episode each night, after everyone else has gone to bed.

I know, bummer about the special features. Good thing I bought only s1-6 (after D/C left, no point in buying, right? )
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeposh (View Post)
Oh I remember this episode. One of the great trauma-episodes.
I liked Dr Keaton, even though I didn't really like her and Carter together...

ETA: Thanks so much for the new thread Ash, I know it's really hard to manage a whole board on your own and fit real life as well, I did it with Scrubs a year ago. I hope you'll find a great co-mod!
I didn't like Keaton and Carter together, either, but I liked the mentor/student thing. And I loved how she dealt with Benton when he screwed up that surgery. And Nurse Rhonda. I remember Carol couldn't stand her. I don't think any of the fans could, either, lol. And thanks for the well wishes on getting a new mod. I'm looking forward to working with whoever is selected for the job.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

ah . A Maggie Doyle episode . I loved her . Does anyone know why they never made Jorja Fox a regular. She was in a lot of episodes in season 3 and then they hired Maria Bello (not an Anna fan)
I loved Maggies relationship with Carter . Friendship , nothing more - well and the constant battle between surgery and emergency medicine

And the floating schedule to get older nurses to quit . I don't know why they made her that incompetent though?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Nooo, I loved Anna!!! I was a huge Carter/Anna fan and was really disappointed when she left...
But Maggie was cool as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Total Fan

i love this episode

Quote:
I was a huge Carter/Anna fan and was really disappointed when she left...
yeah i loved anna as well, i wish she would've stayed longer

i also liked the mark/susan scene when he was trying to get her over her fear of flying
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Supreme Fan

I loved Maggie, too. 'Course that might just be my inner Jorja Fox fan. And I don't know why they didn't make Maggie a regular, but I find it kind of amusing that she and George Eads were both in S4, though they never had a scene together, and then both went on to star in CSI.

And Mark and Susan were cute.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
George Eads
Why don't I recall him? Was he a paramedic?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeposh (View Post)
Why don't I recall him? Was he a paramedic?
He's the paramedic who kissed Carol in Season 4.

It would have been nice to see Maggie Doyle complete her residency, but I remember Jorja went out on pilot season and got a recurring gig on The West Wing, so I imagine that's why she never returned. Wasn't she mentioned again in Season 7 when Kerry implied Romano forced Doyle out after she brought a sexual harassment suit against him?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishghost (View Post)
That's why I didn't recall him. My mind didn't want to.

Quote:
It would have been nice to see Maggie Doyle complete her residency, but I remember Jorja went out on pilot season and got a recurring gig on The West Wing, so I imagine that's why she never returned. Wasn't she mentioned again in Season 7 when Kerry implied Romano forced Doyle out after she brought a sexual harassment suit against him?
Yeah I definitely remember that. Doyle was a nice character, but I suppose Jorja Fox was way too good to be stuck to being a recurring guest star.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
and that role is the reason why I don't like Nick Stokes on CSI. Too much bad memories