Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ohhhhh I didn't know about this thread, hello UK people
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Elite Fan

Hello!

Another friend (don't I sound popular ) will be seeing The Storm Part 2 today. Doug is her favourite character and D/C is her favourite couple so I advised her to have an ambulance on stand-by...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Why is she doing that to herself and what kind of friend are you to LET her?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

I am only one man!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Master Fan

The Storm Part 2 is an episode I won't watch anytime soon.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We were just talking about it, me and Sandy, how that didn't make sense at all, for him to just leave like that, I mean, it made him completely selfish, I know he had always been when it came to professional decisions he'd just go with his gut and not think of the consequences, but still, they were planning to start a FAMILY, how do you go from that to I'm-sorry-I-can't-stay-but-why-don't-you-leave-YOUR-whole-life-to-come-with-me
Old 06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Elite Fan

It was weird.

On one hand, I think the whole structure of The Storm Part 2 is brilliant because it shows how much ER *didn't* need Doug/George. He is only in 4 or 5 scenes, and in each one you see how much he is drifting more and more. Kerry forbids him from working, Carol leaves him hanging for an answer, the investigator points out that Doug knew killing Ricky was wrong, and then finally at the end Carol is like, "How can you ask this of me after everything?". In my opinion, he really is pitiable in that episode because he is like a spare tyre and no-one really has any use for him.

As for the way he left, I never got it. I feel like he gave up so easily, and when Carol says "I don't understand that", I always think, "I am right there with you!!".

And what sucks too is that 5 episodes earlier, if Doug had said to Carol, "I'm sick of County and want to take this other job. Come with me", I think she really would have considered going with him. Not saying she would have gone for sure, but she would have considered it. But after how much he screws with his career, her's, Kerry's and Mark's, and how little regard he shows for his actions, all Carol can presumably think is, "We're getting married and trying to have a baby - so how on earth can I take a leap of faith to move clear across the country with you when you have proven yourself to be completely undependable?".

I also keep thinking of what Alicia says to Will in TGW: "Show me the plan". What was Doug's plan for them? Oh, he had some vague job offer somewhere in Portland? Woop-de-do! What about her? Her career? Her house? Her friends? Their plan to have a baby? Doug was absolutely out of his mind to ask her to go and just expect her to say "Yes" on the spot. I'm all for supporting your partner during a difficult time, but Jesus Christ, Doug was asking/expecting a hell of a lot from Carol. I love Doug, but he was BEYOND out of line to behave like that.

*exhales*

Hmm, didn't expect to go off like that when I clicked on this thread.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
when Carol says "I don't understand that", I always think, "I am right there with you!!"
YES, I'm right there with both of you guys *and we get along perfectly and we're her BFFs too *

And OMG Stephen, I could quote every little bit of your post, those are my thoughts EXACTLY. I was SO mad while that whole mess was going on, because before I watched I never knew why exactly Doug "had" to leave, I always knew he could be completely reckless and irresponsible when he THOUGHT he was doing the right thing,and most times he even was, but he just had little or no regard to everyone else's career at stake. But as his send off I HATED that that was how it happened. Sure, if you go with the character's history it actually makes sense that this behavior eventually had a big consequence. From that perspective, ok. But when it comes to his relationship with Carol, it makes NO sense whatsoever. This kind of situation has never happened to me, but I never got this "I have to leave so either you come with me or.." wtf, right, you have to leave, lots of people have to leave to a new place for work, for several reasons, that doesn't mean you have to leave the person you were engaged to and planning on starting a family with. You'll go wherever it is that you're going, figure your stuff out and together you'll figure out how our lives will work together, even if apart. I don't know if I'm making sense here, but I think you know what I mean, right? It just didn't seem like he was giving him any options, it was either joining him or that was it. Seriously?

And then she was pregnant and he didn't even consider coming back, ffs! Yes, I know George wasn't there bla bla bla, but couldn't they have come up with something like they had worked something out, I don't know, we didn't have to SEE him, just know he was THERE, you know. That was SO frustrating and disappointing
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
YES, I'm right there with both of you guys *and we get along perfectly and we're her BFFs too *
Yayyyy, we are!

And, AMEN to the rest of your post. I remember Julianna was interviewed at the beginning of the 5th season and she said she was under the impression that Doug would go work at another hospital in Chicago, so he would still be around in the story if George could arrange some guest appearances. But I suppose the lure of drama during sweeps was too hard to resist. The writers had 3 years notice that George would be leaving, and THIS was the best they could do??
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

WOW three YEARS?? He wanted to leave since season TWO?? I had NO idea
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Elite Fan

Well it wasn't so much that he wanted to leave all that time, like "Ugh, I don't wanna do this, get me away from these people!!". But when NBC/Warner Bros. had come to the cast about extending their contracts and getting more money, George basically said "No thanks. I'll honour my original contract and I think 5 years will be enough for my character" which it was. John Wells has said they had no plans for Doug after Season 5.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow so they REALLY had all the time in the world to think that through and didn't
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Elite Fan

Yep! He officially announced that he was leaving in Jan/Feb '98, so even by that point they had a year to "officially" plan his departure. I always wished there had been a commentary on "The Storm" or some special feature on the episode, just so we could get a little more insight.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Even if that doesn't change things, at least we could maybe understand it a little better

We turned this into a rant thread didn't we
Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Elite Fan

Exactly, yeah.

I know. Sorry, British fans!