Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Supreme Fan

UK Thread #4: We Can't Get Enough!

Continue discussion here. If you guys want the title changed to something else, just let me know.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Yes, that would be him. I can't get too specific without actor bashing, so I'll just say that he made no secret of the fact that he's best buddies with John Wells. He also made no secret of wanting a hot romance for his character. I heard initially, Abby was his first choice, but they wouldn't go there because of Luka, so he chose Neela. I'm not sure how much of the last part is true, but I do know that he made mention of being buddies with Wells and Wells wanting him on the show 'for years' at just about every opportunity he was given. It made it pretty easy to connect the dots if you read between the lines.
Wow, I never knew that; how incredibly... horrible. It makes sense though - I always felt that with Neela there was a wealth of both grief and guilt (over her feelings for Ray) that could have been explored, and just never was. Everything seemed to get buried underneath her relationship with Gates, and that was a relationship that I really never understood. I can see her pulling away from Ray, because of feelings of guilt, but then why jump into bed with another man?

And when it comes to the 'Abby Lockhart Show' I can see where you're all coming from... but for me when it comes to Maura, all I can say is more more more

Thanks for the new thread!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

yeah, although ER is and should be an ensemble show, and needs ALL its main characters to have depth, if I had to choose one character to be focused on most, I would choose Abby. She is a great actor and no-one else could carry the show so well.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Supreme Fan

Well, I don't know. The show managed the first 5 seasons without her. And the ratings haven't been so hot since she's been carrying the show. I think most fans just want the ensemble drama back. The highest rated episodes in the last few years have been the ones that were more ensemble and less focus on a lead or leads. I think they need to get back to that if they don't want to embarrass themselves any further in the ratings game.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

In the first five seasons there were Carter, Susan, Mark, Doug and Carol, all strong characters with depth.
Nowadays I think Abby is the only really strong character.

But the writers should work on developing the other characters. However good an actor is, their character can only be as strong as it is written.

And I think the writers should stop bringing in new "leads". For the first five seasons there were basically no new leads and that worked well. Now new leads are brought in all the time, which signifies the failings of the writers to develop the leads they already have. They see it as easier to bring in someone new than to develop the current cast.

Although I am a Luby fan all the way and they'll always be my favourites, I think most of the other characters have potential, if the writers would work on it. I think the Ray-Neela relationship should have been given a go. They never got the chance to be together cos of Ray's accident. And since Ray was the kind of guy who slept with lots of girls and didn't get serious, it would have been good to develop his character with a storyline in which he was in a serious relationship, with Neela.

As for the ratings, I guess any show that's been on for 14 years is not going to have as high ratings as it did at the beginning. It is still a successful show, just not as successful as it once was.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

What did UK people think of last night's episode? (Thursday 13th episode if you watched on More4).
I'm so glad Abby has finally decided to get help. The scene where she talked to Luka and he was saying "I'm so sorry" was really sad.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
The scene where she talked to Luka and he was saying "I'm so sorry" was really sad.
I wanted to cry for him there, for both of them. And the bit where they touched hands through the car window was heartbreaking.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 AM
New Fan

Why no ER on more 4 this week???

I hope they are not going to start skipping weeks and changing times like they usually do mid-season!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka_LoverUK (View Post)
Why no ER on more 4 this week???

I hope they are not going to start skipping weeks and changing times like they usually do mid-season!
no ER? i didnt know this!!

maybe they are going to move it cos five has the power double of greys & house on at the same time?
though personally i was planing to camp out on my sofa and watch hospital dramas from 9 till midnight using +1 lol
icon; streetcatx @ lj
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
though personally i was planing to camp out on my sofa and watch hospital dramas from 9 till midnight using +1 lol
Yeah, me too. Damn it.

I have a weakness for medical shows, Scrubs is like the only one I don't watch I think.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Light (View Post)
Yeah, me too. Damn it.

I have a weakness for medical shows, Scrubs is like the only one I don't watch I think.
lol i own up to watching scrubs too

also holby and occasionally casualty

mmmm but i am not addicted to hospital shows honest
icon; streetcatx @ lj
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
also holby and occasionally casualty
Casualty is good, Holby is pants though IMO.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Light (View Post)
Casualty is good, Holby is pants though IMO.
lol are we stalking each other on the uk threads today or what!
i reckon you must be a fellow bored office worker

i go through phases of liking either casualty or holby. depends on the storylines. i liked the whole ruth suicide episode that was done well. and i also liked the recent 2 parter on holby

but no matter how good they are they are never as exciting as ER.
reminds me of a jack dee joke i saw a while back where he says that comparing ER and casualty is like comparing taking speed and a paracetamol
icon; streetcatx @ lj
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm just a bored, stuck at home with nothing to do person.

Quote:
i liked the whole ruth suicide episode that was done well.
That was very good, although I still think "Toyah from Corrie" whenever I see her.

Quote:
he says that comparing ER and casualty is like comparing taking speed and a paracetamol

He's kinda right! Jack Dee is hilarious I think, I loved him on Celeb BB years ago.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

i was reading a TV comment column in the paper today which was commenting on the fast pace of ER compared to British stuff like "The Royal" and "Holby City"... and the columnist mentioned that in ER, so fast is the pace that they have to use abbreviations like "GSW" instead of "gunshot wound". and i just suddenly realised that it takes longer to say "GSW" than "gunshot wound".