Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Passionate Fan

Noah Wyle Appreciation Thread #24:because his smile captured our hearts from day one

OldThread

Reason Why we Carter/Noah!!

[1]Because he has an amazing smile
[2]Because you can stare into his eyes forever and never get bored
[3]Because Noah makes a great Carter
[4]Because Noah is a great actor!
[5]Because we watched him grow
[6]because he was a great student
[7]Because he made ER what it is today
[8]Because he gave 150 million to make people better

Last edited by xfireXangelx; 05-12-2005 at 09:53 AM
Old 05-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Master Fan

New Thread!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Dr. Carter is my favorite character on ER. I think it's sad that Noah's leaving ER. He's the only original cast member left out of the original group.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Master Fan

It's sad but I think it's time.Plus,he couldn't have gotten a better ending.Carter leaving is like the end of an era...but it had to end someday.

ETA-Just watched the preview for next week......This is gonna need a lot of tissues....

Last edited by SpySyd; 05-14-2005 at 02:37 AM
Old 05-14-2005, 05:21 AM
Passionate Fan

We're still 3 episodes from the end, after the last episode, I dont want him to leave even more
Old 05-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Extreme Fan

Oh, new thread, thanks! I love the new title

At the end of his patients
This week, Noah Wyle wraps up an 11-year run as 'ER's' crisis-prone Dr. Carter. You might say he's moving in a family-practice direction.

By Meghan Daum, Special to The Times

ON a chilly Wednesday night in late April, Noah Wyle stood before a mirror on a Warner Bros. soundstage and spoke what are among his last lines as Dr. John Carter, the "ER" physician he's played since the show began over a decade ago. .....last lines
It's a sentiment that resonates beyond the script for Wyle's last episode, which airs Thursday on NBC. "Before that script came out I was thinking of using that line myself," Wyle said about the real-life party his cast mates are planning for him. "It's always easier to say the lines that are written for me than to come up with my own."

For all its incarnations, most viewers still associate "ER" with its original cast, which, along with Wyle, included George Clooney, Anthony Edwards, Eriq La Salle, Julianna Margulies and Sherry Stringfield. "I don't think I would have been successful or been able to deal with the success I had if I hadn't had those role models around me consistently," said Wyle, who was just 21 when he began the show. "I feel very fortunate to have started exactly when I did in the company of those actors. They taught me an incredible amount."

The last remaining original cast member to leave the show (Stringfield rejoined the cast in 2001 after a five-year absence), Wyle has admitted to some exhaustion at the hands of Dr. Carter, who even by television standards experienced more in his 20s and early 30s than most of us do in a lifetime. From hapless medical student to seasoned physician, he survived medical residency, the pressures of his enormously wealthy family, a nearly fatal stabbing by a schizophrenic patient followed by drug addiction and rehab and, most notably, a life-changing volunteer stint as a doctor in war-torn Africa where he treated AIDS, polio and whooping cough and was nearly executed by guerrilla soldiers. Along the way, he fell in love with a Parisian clinic worker played by Thandie Newton and suffered the loss of their child.

"The character was originally conceived as a kind of comic relief," said executive producer John Wells, who directed Wyle's final episode. "But Noah brought an innocence and intelligence to the character that went beyond those elements. I remember in the beginning, on the first day of dailies, Rod Holcomb, who directed the pilot, said 'Keep an eye on this guy. He's going to end up being so much more than the buffoon.' "

Last season's Africa story line represented a departure for both Wyle and the series. In a show known for its frenetic pace and almost nonlinear storytelling — Wells says he always thought of it as "pointillist; a lot of small moments that come together if you step back far enough" — the episodes set in the Congo were inspired in part by Wyle's involvement with Doctors of the World, the American arm of Doctors Without Borders. During the war in Kosovo, Wyle, who already had a long-standing relationship with groups such as Human Rights Watch, traveled to Macedonia with his wife and his mother (who, as it happens, spent 20 years as a nurse at Kaiser Hospital) to observe doctors working in refugee camps.

"It was pretty intense," Wyle said. "We saw 80-year-old women who'd been shot, who'd been forced at the end of a gun to pack up every belonging they had and march for two hours out of their country. I remember a busload of refugees pulled up, and we were running and pulling people off the bus and getting them in medical tents. I did some simple stuff like taking blood pressure. But even then I think I screwed it up on a couple people."

Wyle and his wife, Tracy, a makeup artist whom he met on the set of the 1997 film "The Myth of Fingerprints," have a 2-year-old son and are expecting a second child in October. Since beginning "ER," he's appeared in films such as "Donnie Darko," "White Oleander" and "Enough," but unlike Clooney, who left the show to pursue a movie career, and Edwards, who moved to New York to get involved in producing and directing projects, Wyle says his decision to leave the show has less to do with film aspirations than fatherhood.

"The producers were extremely courteous to me about giving me time off when my wife was pregnant, and I did take a little paternity-leave stint at the beginning of the 10th season," he says. "But when my son was born I hated the fact that we brought him home from the hospital on a Sunday and I was back to work on Monday and I worked 12 hours that day and 14 the next. Ultimately, that's not the kind of parent I want to be. But I've always said about our show that there's really no point in leaving unless you're ready to change your life. You can't find better material or work with nicer people or a better crew."

This summer, Wyle plans to shoot a sequel to the last year's TNT movie "The Librarian," and though he says he's open to television projects, his main priority is spending time with his family. They have a farm in the Santa Ynez Valley, and when he's home he spends most of his free time in Griffith Park riding the train with his locomotive-obsessed son.

As Wyle ate a blueberry muffin and sipped black coffee, a tall man with a white beard approached his booth and extended a hand.

"Mr. Wyle, congratulations," he said. "I guest-starred with you guys back in Season 5. I came into the ER. I had a dead brother."

Wyle said this happens a lot. "It helps if they describe their wound," he said. "That usually jogs my memory."

He also still gets squeamish in real-life hospitals. And despite how many patients Dr. Carter has treated, Wyle isn't one to confuse being a real doctor with playing one on TV.

"I can honestly say that anytime I've ever been around a physician or nurse while they're plying their trade, I've always been really gratified how little it means to them that I'm there in the face of what they have to do," he said. "That's a sensibility we've tried to employ when we play these people. Doctors are beset often by bureaucratic pressures and personal problems. But you check all that baggage at the door and just take care of the person in front of you. It's the last unassailable profession."
Old 05-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for the article Ty

I liked it, the only part that made me sad is...
and though he says he's open to television projects, his main priority is spending time with his family

does that mean he'll only be doing small parts?
Old 05-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Master Fan

Sounds like it.

At least he's there for his family. There are men in this world who seem to think their jobs are more important than family.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Life outside the 'ER' is paging Dr. Carter
Joanne Weintraub

He's not leaving "ER" feet-first, the way poor old Dr. Greene did.

He's not fleeing after finding himself neck-deep in hot water, the way impetuous Dr. Ross did.

No, after 11 seasons, Dr. John Carter is following the woman he loves to Africa, where he'll undoubtedly marry her, father several astoundingly beautiful children and solve the continent's AIDS crisis, though not necessarily in that order.

For almost any other TV character, such a happily-ever-after scenario might seem a little saccharine. For Noah Wyle's Carter, whose final episode is Thursday, it's just about right.

Shockingly rich, distractingly handsome and a pretty good physician, too, Carter is something of a throwback, a good guy from the bottom of his rubber-soled shoes to the top of his boyishly tousled head.

An easily flustered medical student when the series was launched in '94, Carter leaves Chicago's fictitious County General Hospital as an attending physician and former chief resident, the ER's go-to guy.

Along the way, he's been bullied by Peter Benton (Eriq LaSalle), befriended by Ross (George Clooney) and Greene (Anthony Edwards), and bedded by too many fellow doctors, nurses and others to name, including Harper Tracy (Christine Elise), Abby Keaton (Glenne Headly), Anna Del Amico (Maria Bello), Abby Lockhart (Maura Tierney), Susan Lewis (Sherry Stringfield), and that 19-year-old he swore up and down he believed was at least 21.

He survived a near-fatal stabbing, an addiction to painkillers, an ill-advised beard and one or more professional, emotional and/or ethical dilemmas per episode.

His fabulously wealthy grandmother (Frances Sternhagen) died a few years ago, leaving him in charge of a multimillion-dollar foundation. With Carteresque thoughtfulness, he built a clinic for needy families.

Being the kind of person he is, Carter also followed Dr. Luka Kovac (Goran Visnjic) to Congo after Kovac asked for his help in a refugee camp. There, he fell in love with an AIDS worker, Kem Likasu (Thandie Newton), got her pregnant, brought her back to Chicago with him, grieved when she lost the baby and was crushed when she decided to go back home.

Last week, though, he flew to Paris, where Kem was visiting her ill mother, and declared his love for her, his faith in their future and his general sense of optimism about the state of the world.

After all that, who could begrudge him a happy ending?

I had to smile last week when, upon meeting a former boyfriend of Kem's in Paris, Carter remarked peevishly that the guy was entirely too good-looking. If that's not the pot calling the kettle a hottie, I don't know what is.

Wyle, who makes a reported $9 million a season, is probably more realistic about the effect his looks have on others.

A couple of years ago, after his wife gave birth, he told reporters that the hospital staff kept coming into her room every minute or so "just to check on our Jell-O levels."

The episode where Carter leaves, by the way, is the season finale, and it's called "The Show Must Go On."

And it will. But it won't be the same.

E-mail Joanne Weintraub at jweintraub@journalsentinel.com.

http://www.jsonline.com/enter/tvradio/may05/326487.asp
me too.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Passionate Fan

thanks Mely

nce article, sad too
3 more episodes[weeks] left for me
Old 05-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Part-Time Fan

Noah is supposed to appear for a live interview at KTLA (channel 5 Los Angeles WB) morning entertainment news segment tomorrow. Usually these interviews are relaxed and entertaining. The entertainment segments usually starts about 8:34 AM and 7:38AM, but not always. Interviews are usually in the 8:34 segment.

Anyone interested in a summary or transcription (by me)? I may have time.

Jagncat
Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Master Fan

Yes please!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Passionate Fan

Yes, please oh please!!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread! Love the title

Thanks for all the articles.

A summary would be awesome
Old 05-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Extreme Fan

I loved the article, thanks Mely

Quote:
Anyone interested in a summary or transcription (by me)? I may have time.
Oh, please and thanks!