Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion: 15.7 "Heal Thyself" {November 13, 2008}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
HEAL THYSELF
PHYSICIAN HEAL THYSELF—ANTHONY EDWARDS (“Top Gun,” “Thunderbirds”) COURTNEY B. VANCE (“Law and Order, Criminal Intent”) GUEST STARS—Dr. Banfield (Angela Bassett) takes a run to clear her head but finds herself trying to rescue a three-year-old girl from drowning in a nearby lake. Gates (John Stamos) tries to pull some strings in the ER to help his homeless war hero. Banfield is reminded of her own experience at County with Dr. Greene (guest star Anthony Edwards) caring for her son as she tries to save the young three-year-old girl from certain death. Meanwhile, the interns continue to struggle to keep up in the ER. Parminder Nagra, Linda Cardellini and Scott Grimes also star.
So, here it is, blast from the past. Have at it, folks.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

It's gonna be awesome to see old-school ER tonight!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yay Mark's back
Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Definately awesome to see old school ER. It will be great to have Dr. Greene back.

Although seriously, a drowning search and rescue. I complain because it just seems like a repeat of sorts. No doctor's lake search and rescue can compare to that of the great Dr. Ross.
Emma♥Neal
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Elite Fan

I'm so excited!! I was watching Tony Edwards on Rachael Ray and on the Today Show today and it's really got me pumped up for tonight's episode.

Quote:
Although seriously, a drowning search and rescue. I complain because it just seems like a repeat of sorts. No doctor's lake search and rescue can compare to that of the great Dr. Ross.
Oh yeah, Hell And High Water... I haven't thought about that episode in a while.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Powerful!!! Powerful!!! Powerful, episode!!! The most powerful and effective episode of the season. I loved "Haunted" because I'm a bias Roomie fan, but this episode was definitely an extraordinarily special episode. Angela Bassett needs to win an Emmy! Her role as Dr. Banfield has had more impact for a newcomer on this show than any new character for a very long time. The tragedy of her son dying really illuminated who she is and why she is the way she is. It really explained a lot of some of the questions we had. And what the heck, give her husband an Emmy too. Courtney Vance's performance was just as effecting. I just loved the parallels between the case with the little girl who almost drowned and the case with Banfield's son. It was excellently done.

Oh my God!!! Dr. Greene! Jerry! Kerry! Romano(I'll pretend like I didn't know he seems a bit more pudgy than he did in 2002 ). I like the fact that TPTB didn't bombard us with too much of the old cast. It could have been a temptation to over due their appearance, but I'm glad they didn't. As much as I love the old cast, this is a new ER, with new characters, and new stories. The episode shouldn't have been about them and I'm glad TPTB did that without losing any effectiveness. I liked the fact that Banfield's tragedy came at the same time as Mark was about to experience his own tragedy of dying with a brain tumor. It made their interaction even more potent and heart breaking. I also appreciated the scene where Banfield opened up to Morris. It shows that Banfield is slowly stripping away that wall she put up. Usually, she would have never get that personal with anyone. I like her and Morris' interactions. They work well as a team.

Honorable mentions: I think it was a good sub plot for Neela's intern Andrew. Even though it was short, it was a good spark that ignited what turned out to be a very meaningful and powerful episode. It kinda drew a parallel to Banfield's tragedy in that she, just like Andrew, was unable to see the signs and took the situation for granted. It also illuminated the fact that Banfield was right last week in trying to push the interns to step up and ask questions. Andrew's outburst to Neela showed that maybe Andrew felt handcuffed when it came to speaking his mind. It will be interesting to see how he and Neela's story evolve.

By the way, I love how they started the show with the old "Previously on ER" intro. And I think it was a great idea to let Eric Lasalle pay homage to Michael Crichton. This season is definitely living up to the hype.

Ray: OK, roomie! Just give me a minute to put my legs on!

Last edited by G-UNIT; 11-13-2008 at 09:33 PM
Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

It was just... wow. Really phenomenal. It was like the best combination of old-school and new-school ER.

First of all, Mark Greene. Anthony Edwards. He is ER. To see him open that ambulance door, it was like he never left! He's appealed to me from the start because he's so supert smart when it comes to the medicine but his vulnerability as a man is fascinating to watch. I would have liked a tad bit more Kerry, and Romano, I saw. had two good arms so this was pre-helicopter days. lol

Second of all, Angela Bassett. So excellent. I've always respected her as an actress, and I thought she did so well in this episode. After Banfield's son died, I could feel her devastation and guilt, and her inability to voice how she felt. I've always respected Bassett's work and I like her in ER -- the angry woman thing was starting to get tough to watch but I'm so glad the show put it in perspective sooner than later.

I loved the frantic pace of tonight's epi -- the quick changes, the present seamlessly blending into the past -- you had to keep paying attention. Old-school ER, for sure! Morris was great (I'm surprised Banfield told him the truth), Neela and Andrew, the intern -- good stuff.

All in all, I enjoyed it (can you tell? ) But who is Sheldon Zabel? (I know he's related to David Zabel, but how? Hope the whole banfield's son story is not based on any real events.)
Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

I knew this one was going to be good, and it did not disappoint! I agree how the old school cameos were well down and did not cross the line of being "over done." The back and forth transitions were cool and flowed great. It was moving, and I didn't even like Banfield so that's saying something. I can't believe how good this season is so far. I'd say all the episodes (except last week's where NOTHING happened) have been good! Hope it stays this way!

p.s. Oh Neela! Burn that ugly sweater!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved this episode. So much. Mark Greene. *bows down*

The beautiful, Shiri Appleby.
Icon - evangelin
Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Absolute Fan

I've been waiting for this eppy since I heard about it!

Wow. Seeing Dr. Greene back was truly something special. The moment he opened those ambulance doors, I seriously felt like I had warped back a few years. But then again, it felt like he never left. Dr. Greene was and will always be my most favorite doctor of the show! I'll never forget how saddened I was when he left. But I loved seeing him back in action tonight! And I loved seeing the appearance of Kerry, Romano, and Jerry!! Ah, I missed Jerry! It was just awesome how they had them show up!

It was great getting to finally see Dr. Banfield's past and what happened.

All in all, a very emotional and powerful episode!!! TPTB really are pulling out all the stops to make long time ER fans happy! It's so great to see all the original faces!

Bellamy and Clarke
{The Rebel & The Princess}
Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Roswell (View Post)
Definately awesome to see old school ER. It will be great to have Dr. Greene back.

Oh, yes. One of the best ER episodes ever. Dr. Ross and Carol need to be in these eps with their kids.

Quote:
He is ER.
HELL YEAH. LOVE HIM. Dr. Greene is freakin' awesome.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

the ep has me all emo now *sniff*

AE owns all
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Definately a most note worthy ER. There has not been one this emotional for a long while now.

Angela Bassett: I have always been a fan of Dr. Banfield but in this episode she really lit up the night. Everything from her patient paralleling her own life a while back to opening up and letting her guard down. For a second I was afraid that she was not going to open up but I'm glad she did especially since she opened up to Morris who is one the last of the new. Her struggles had been eating at her all day so it was nice to see her finally talk about it.

Neela's Intern: Definately a great moment for him. I hate that Neela chewed him out like that when he failed to mention the bloody stool. Interns make those kind of mistakes especially when their superiors don't give them a chance to speak up. I've never really thought Neela was a good teacher. She always wants to get straight to the point and doesn't take the time to listen. And for Andrew (right?) to be all emotional for loosing his patient was just great. The emotions played out so well. And I loved his interaction with Banfield. She could have easily passed him by and not lend a helping hand but she did as well as give him some kind of words to lean on.

Dr. Greene: How great was it to have Anthony Edwards back! His grand enterance when he opened the ambulence was amazing. And the lighting they used: it made him seem like he had arrived back from the grave! Loved how his storyline was part of when he was going through chemo. It only made his moments with Angela's storyline even sadder. The fact that Dr. Greene placed his patient before himself was typical Dr. Greene style which was awesome. To have Weaver, Romano, and Jerry back was awesome.

And don't even get me started on the music! The music was the best part because it was that good old time ER sound but upped a little with violins or whatever.

A most noteworthy episode indeed!

BTW, can someone post that tribute Eric LaSalle did to Michael Chrichton? I missed that part of the opening.
Emma♥Neal
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Elite Fan

Omg, Eriq! Anthony! Laura! Paul! Abraham! This was a dream come true, and an absolutely stunning episode! Angela Bassett's performance was definitely Emmy worthy, but ER has gone so unrecognised for years for its main actors.

I expected a "in memory of Michael Crichton" at the end, but Eriq's appearance knocked the wind right out of me! After he didn't take part in the Season 1 DVD special features with the rest of the original cast, I assumed he had cut all ties with the show. So to see him take part in the dedication to Michael was so moving and so surprising. Can't wait for Eriq's ER directorial debut later in the season!

Angela Bassett and Courtney B. Vance were spectacular. I won't even go into it because their fantastic performances speak for themselves.

Weaver and Romano should have had their own spinoff. Even though they appeared separately, I had forgotten how class they were back in the day. Remember:

Romano: You're a Grade A bitch, you know that?
Weaver: No, Robert, I'm your boss. And as long as I am, you're my bitch.

And our dear Dr. Greene. I couldn't believe it when his name popped up in the opening credits ahead of Parminder!! "Starring Anthony Edwards" Greene was never my favourite, especially in Seasons 4 and 5, but this episode took me right back to Love's Labour Lost when he lost a pregnant mother after a stupid misdiagnosis. Judging by his asking about Corday, I'm guessing this was when they were separated or still working on their marriage following her walking out after Ella's ecstasy overdose.

And they also started the episode (before Eriq's tribute) with the old school ER titlecard and music!!! I loved it. I absolutely loved it.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-UNIT (View Post)
Powerful!!! Powerful!!! Powerful, episode!!! The most powerful and effective episode of the season. I loved "Haunted" because I'm a bias Roomie fan, but this episode was definitely an extraordinarily special episode. Angela Bassett needs to win an Emmy! Her role as Dr. Banfield has had more impact for a newcomer on this show than any new character for a very long time. The tragedy of her son dying really illuminated who she is and why she is the way she is. It really explained a lot of some of the questions we had. And what the heck, give her husband an Emmy too. Courtney Vance's performance was just as effecting. I just loved the parallels between the case with the little girl who almost drowned and the case with Banfield's son. It was excellently done.

Oh my God!!! Dr. Greene! Jerry! Kerry! Romano(I'll pretend like I didn't know he seems a bit more pudgy than he did in 2002 ). I like the fact that TPTB didn't bombard us with too much of the old cast. It could have been a temptation to over due their appearance, but I'm glad they didn't. As much as I love the old cast, this is a new ER, with new characters, and new stories. The episode shouldn't have been about them and I'm glad TPTB did that without losing any effectiveness. I liked the fact that Banfield's tragedy came at the same time as Mark was about to experience his own tragedy of dying with a brain tumor. It made their interaction even more potent and heart breaking. I also appreciated the scene where Banfield opened up to Morris. It shows that Banfield is slowly stripping away that wall she put up. Usually, she would have never get that personal with anyone. I like her and Morris' interactions. They work well as a team.

Honorable mentions: I think it was a good sub plot for Neela's intern Andrew. Even though it was short, it was a good spark that ignited what turned out to be a very meaningful and powerful episode. It kinda drew a parallel to Banfield's tragedy in that she, just like Andrew, was unable to see the signs and took the situation for granted. It also illuminated the fact that Banfield was right last week in trying to push the interns to step up and ask questions. Andrew's outburst to Neela showed that maybe Andrew felt handcuffed when it came to speaking his mind. It will be interesting to see how he and Neela's story evolve.

By the way, I love how they started the show with the old "Previously on ER" intro. And I think it was a great idea to let Eric Lasalle pay homage to Michael Crichton. This season is definitely living up to the hype.
Well said G-Unit. I ccouldn't have expressed it any better.
I have cried in every single episode so far. I thought the way Anthony Edwards just seemlessly slipped back into the role of Mark Greene was superb, mannerisms and all.
Loved it!!!! Can't wait for the rest of the season.