Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion 15.15 "The Family Man" {February 12, 2009}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
THE FAMILY MAN
FAMILY COMES FIRST—‘ER’ ALUM ERIQ LA SALLE DIRECTS AND LOUIS GOSSETT JR. (“STARGATE SG-1”) GUEST STARS—A car accident in the ambulance bay leaves a mother severely injured and in need of hip surgery. Brenner (David Lyons) struggles to find a willing family member to take care of the young daughter. Morris (Scott Grimes) gets frustrated when a 78 year-old-man comes into the ER in need of an MRI but the insurance company won’t cover the costs. Meanwhile, Neela (Parminder Nagra) shocks Brenner when she lets him know about her offer in North Carolina. John Stamos and Linda Cardellini also star.
Have at it, guys.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

*CRIES* where is everyone? Someone join me over Neela and Brenner. Oh, it hurts. IT HURTS! (and it's only 10:07)
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Neela & Brenner: You know, I was pretty surprised how much seeing "Breela" doesn't bother me anymore. Neela is totally casual and detached from the relationship. You can tell by her expression and attitude that she is not emotionally attached. Brenner on the other hand is totally hooked and there are already signs of dependency and perhaps even obsession.

Morris & Claudia: I love these 2 together. I think they are so cute together and I just loved the scenes with Morris playing superhero. Scott Grimes just impresses me with his ability to switch from comedy to drama at will. The scene with Claudia dressed up as a superhero with handcuffs ready to "rescue" a helpless Archie was just hilarious.

Gates & Lou Gossett: This storyline turned out to be more effective than I expected. I really liked seeing Lou again and I'm glad that TPTB gave him a role so that everyone can remember what a great talent he is. I'm not much of a Gates fan, but I felt he showed maturity in talking his patient into getting the surgery.

The storyline with the deadbeat dad was heartbreaking to watch. How could he just abandon his daughter again like that? The reaction of the little girl sitting outside made me want to cry. She knew that her father was never coming back. Once again Brenner was in another touching family moment. But this time, it was tragic compared to last week's happy ending. It seems that there is something about single parent mothers with children that gets to him. I guess it reminds him of his childhood.

Can't wait to see Noah next week.

Ray: OK, roomie! Just give me a minute to put my legs on!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

I'm sick and tired of tptb trying to turn brenner into a loving and caring guy. He's not. He's putting on a show. Seriously i hope he pulls something that proves this.

Anyway...I loved Morris. I laughed out loud when Claudia said she had a surprise for him and it was her whole family. I about died laughing.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

I just finished watching this episode and it was okay. I think I am inclined to agree with G-Unit about Brenner and Neela. It does look like he is more emotionally invested in their relationship than she does. He is trying to change his schedule to go with her to North Carolina and she makes plans to go without even telling him. It seems like he is becoming obsessed with her.

I have to say, I like Morris and Claudia together. The scene where she put the handcuffs on him was great. I like the two of them together better than I did with him and Hope.

The main story with the little girl and her family was heartbreaking.

Louis Gossett Jr. was amazing, as always. I still remember him from Iron Eagle and An Officer And A Gentleman from when I was a teenager and he still is an awesome actor.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Morris and Claudia! *SQUEAL* I love them.

G-Unit. Your take on Neela/Brenner helps me. I totally agree. Him wanting to go to NC made me want to pull my hair out and run away, but Neela luckily didn't fawn all over him and was working this ep. It helps. I know NR will win in the end.

The family storyline? *snifs* That poor girl. She deserves better.

Gates and Sam kinda annoy me.

BTW, do doctors really try as hard as Gates? *knock on wood* I don't see docs often so I don't really know, but it kinda bothered me at how much he was pushing it. I mean, he made a great point about the granddaughter, but still. Is this usual doctor behavior?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 AM
New Fan

I really like the episode. Morris with the woman was really sweet. I really do like Brenner. I do think he has changed. I felt so bad for him because he truly wanted to believe the dad will change. I think he is good for Neela. I also agree that he is more invested in the relationship. Although I dont think its "obsessive." Watching the take out scene made me hungry for asian food as I am pregnant Only two month so I would have probably thrown it back up As much as I cried for Ray, for his character I would want him to be with someone who hadnt caused him so much pain. I wonder when he is suppose to come back.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

From Marc Berman:
Quote:
followed by NBC’s soon-to-conclude ER (Viewers: #3, 7.25 million; A18-49: #3, 2.6/ 7), which should have ended three seasons ago. Does anyone even care that George Clooney is making an upcoming guest appearance?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Elite Fan

Eriq La Salle did a fantastic job of directing this episode.

Brenner is not putting on a show. He's the most inconsistently written character on ER, so there is no real basis of character for him to cover up. He's just a network requirement from NBC.

The ending was heartbreaking. ER has a real knack for hiring little kids who tear your heart out. Remember the little boy from another episode this season whose sister died and he was running around looking for her?

Morris and Claudia are cute together. Morris has finally found a good match.

Next week: Carter returns!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

The beginning Neela/Brenner scene just made me realise that he looks more into her then her to him. lol.. Brenner seemed disturbing...-- I find it so funny that Brenner wanted to go with Neela to Carolina and she got everything prepared already for herself.

The best parts for me was Morris and Claudia track in this epi.. cracked me up! Love Morris.. and him and Claudia are a good pair.

The ending was very sad!! Awww.. felt sorry for the girl. You can tell Brenner felt like an idiot trusting that guy.. and Sam was right.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

SUPERHERO GARY

love that things are finally moving for neela....and its kinda sad how shes all chillaxed about the relationship while brenner wants to move it forward...

the whole gates/sam thing is so boring now. i actaully liked gates for a while but his mopey side is really unattractive.

and the joan/lucy/stewart story was sad....but tbh i found the kid pretty annoying. its good that theyre giving hints about brenner and his past...david lyons is an awesome actor, he manages to play all the emotional scenes really well. his is the kinda backstory ray should have had when he was on the show!!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Supreme Fan

Neela was like that with Gates, too. He was way more into it than she was. He was a distraction from her feelings for Ray at a time when she felt she needed ti suppress them. (Because her husband had just died and she felt guilty about having feelings for another man while she was married to him.) Now Brenner is a distraction from those same feelings. (Because Ray told her has a girlfriend and is thus, off the market.) It makes sense to me, and it's a nice reversal of what Ray did in S13 by dating Katey when he realized that Neela was with Gates. He wasn't that into the relationship, either. Katey was invested and he was going through the motions, just like Neela did with Gates and is doing with Brenner. It all fits, IMO.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Master Fan

De-topping to put the new thread. Feel free to continue discussing
I love you but, I don't even know why