Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion 15.10 "The High Holiday" {December 11, 2008}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
THE HIGH HOLIDAY
IT’S THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR—Morris (Scott Grimes) receives an unwanted package from his father at the ER doorstep. Sam (Linda Cardellini) is anxious about getting Alex (Dominic Janes) off of the ventilator after his accident. Meanwhile, a pregnant woman with a high-risk pregnancy is in danger of getting deported. Parminder Nagra, David Lyons and Angela Bassett also star.
Have at it, folks.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Master Fan

Im looking forward to Morris storyline this episode the most from the looks of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Sam/Alex storyline is what I'm looking forward to the most. Last week was so tragic so it will be interesting to see what happens. I really hope Alex lives. I can't imagine Sam loosing her only son.
Emma♥Neal
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Elite Fan

This week's episode is going to be bittersweet - the last ever ER Christmas episode.

I gotta ask, is NBC trying to make last week's cliffhanger redundant by giving away what happens to Alex in their preview above?

Quote:
Sam (Linda Cardellini) is anxious about getting Alex (Dominic Janes) off of the ventilator after his accident.
So obviously he lives and is doing well enough that being let off his ventilator is an option.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Maybe I'm just bitter but I always disliked Christmas episodes for any show. But last years Xmas one was depressing so I do think this one will be better!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Elite Fan

I hope so! ER used to have such sweet/funny moments in its Christmas episodes, like when the staff did carolling in Season 2, when Jeanie put her and Al's old star ontop of the ER tree after she told everyone she had AIDS, and when Doug proposed to Carol in front of the entire ER.

No gloom this year, ER!!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Master Fan

I'm just hoping neela doesnt sleep with brenner. I'm not asking for much. I consider it a successfull episode if neela doesnt sleep with brenner. thats how far my expectations have dropped. lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Major Anvil - Brenner: "Good things happen when you take a chance".

Ray: OK, roomie! Just give me a minute to put my legs on!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

This episode had it uplifting moments but also had it's sad moments.

Dr. Banfield has changed since she dealt with the memory of her son's death, has softened towards her husband and the people that work for her. I really liked how she dealt with the same sex couple that had a baby and found out one of them had cancer. She really shows her softer side when it comes to children. I also liked how concerned she was about Sam and I'm sure felt empathy towards her because of the death of her own child. I hope she and her husband succeed in having another baby.

I got such a kick out of Banfield's husband joking with Morris about him sharing a room with his wife at the conference in last week's episode. It gave Courtney Vance a chance to lighten up after all of the angst his character has gone through since he was introduced.

Ryan, Daria and Frank getting high off of those brownies and Banfield's reaction to it was funny.

The return of Jerry was amazing and I hope we see him some more as the final nine episodes air.

Morris dealing with his unresolved issues with his father kind of struck a cord with me. It hit too close to home in the fact that my father passed away three and a half years ago before me or my sister could make peace with him and his neglect from when we were little.

Alex waking up was amazing to see and I was happy for Sam but it was touched with a little bitterness. You could see how emotional both Sam and Tony were when she broke up with him. I have a feeling though that it isn't completely over with them.

Neela and Brenner are better off as friends, and you are right, G-Unit. His comment to her about 'Good things happen when you take a chance' was very telling. As soon as he said it, I thought to myself, 'Will it send her closer to him or towards a certain former roommate in Baton Rouge.'

I have a feeling the next nine episodes are going to be very interesting for all of the characters.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshortklutz (View Post)

Dr. Banfield has changed since she dealt with the memory of her son's death, has softened towards her husband and the people that work for her. I really liked how she dealt with the same sex couple that had a baby and found out one of them had cancer. She really shows her softer side when it comes to children. I also liked how concerned she was about Sam and I'm sure felt empathy towards her because of the death of her own child. I hope she and her husband succeed in having another baby.

I hear you on this one D! Her change of heart is apparent, and I think it has allowed those who didn't like her in the beginning, to now sympathize with her.

Welcome back Jerry!

I wish we had seen Morris and his father interact before he died. It seems like his death still haunts Morris. I do "hope"(get it) Morris has a happy ending.

Isn't it interesting that Neela felt so attached to a case where the husband and wife(as well as baby) were going to be separated? I don't think it's a coincidence that the next episode is named
Spoiler:

You really have to watch those subliminal messages roomies!

Ray: OK, roomie! Just give me a minute to put my legs on!

Last edited by G-UNIT; 12-11-2008 at 09:56 PM
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Master Fan

No nasty done. I'm happy.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady (View Post)
No nasty done. I'm happy.
I figured you would be happy about that.

Now it's going to be interesting to see what direction she is going to take the advice Brenner gave her at the party.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishghost (View Post)
ER used to have such sweet/funny moments in its Christmas episodes, like when the staff did carolling in Season 2, when Jeanie put her and Al's old star ontop of the ER tree after she told everyone she had AIDS, and when Doug proposed to Carol in front of the entire ER.
Those were the true ER Christmas episodes. The one where Carol announced to the staff that she had been seeing Doug Ross again was and will always remain a classic for me.

Now to this episode:

Definately had it's perfect moments.

I really loved how Sam was determined to have Alex off the vent so he wouldn't have to miss out on Christmas (minus staying in the hospital for Christmas). And I loved how when Alex was off the vent the first thing he said, "Did I- Did I miss Christmas?" That was sweet.

Jerry's return! I don't even remember when he left. He was just always apart of ER that when he wasn't on the show I just thought that Frank had pulled off extra shifts.

Didn't really feel much about the whole Morris storyline. I mean sure it was sad but I there wasn't much from it.

Love how we've seen the change in Dr. Banfield. It was so fun to see her cold side but ever since dealing with her son's loss she's become more open and someone that the staff can respect rather than loathe.

Right away I figured that those brownies that lady brought for the staff were laced with something. You just don't eat things a patient brings in!!! And sure enough they were pot brownies. It was funny to see Frank, Daria, and Ryan all stoned. And Banfield's reaction was classic. (Hadn't something similar happened in an old episode somewhere? I know I've seen this storyline been used before unless it was on another show).

The whole thing with the illegal immigrants was such a sad story. Living so close to a situation like this it was difficult not to feel anything. And way to go Neela for once again breaking the rules and giving these two a chance to get away from the immigration officers. The only thing they are accused of is wanting a better life but that does not make them criminals persey.

I still think there have been better Christmas episodes but this one was really good.
Emma♥Neal
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Elite Fan

I liked this episode a lot. Jerry returned!!! I was so shocked to see him walk through the doors. I had no idea Abraham Benrubi was returning after his appearance in Heal Thyself. I really hope he sticks around for the rest of the season.

The story with the immigrant mother hooked me more than the "patient-of-the-week" usually does. I was as enraptured as the interns were during the surgery scene. Plus, any time we see Coburn is a plus for me. Ever since Love's Labour Lost, she's been there for the major baby dramas.

Glad Alex is doing okay and that Sam got Dubenko to extubate him sooner than planned. What a sweet moment when we saw the two watching TV at the end.

I wanna say, "Poor Gates!" but I honestly don't care if he's lonely or unhappy.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshortklutz (View Post)
I figured you would be happy about that.

Now it's going to be interesting to see what direction she is going to take the advice Brenner gave her at the party.

i honestly think she already took brenners advice in a certain direction and it's just how she treated that patient about putting her in a cab to a different hospital and etc.

i doubt we hear anymore of it. who knows though.

i did like banfields husbands comment to morris. I saw the comment coming from a mile away because it's an obvious easy joke to see coming but it was still funny. so your the guy who slept with my wife. lol. i was shocked banfield and her husband were still together. It looked like they were on the verge of a divorce a few episodes ago. I'm glad at least they are still together.