Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion: 14.5 "Under the Influence" {October 25, 2007}

Episode description from NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
UNDER THE INFLUENCE
HUGS NOT DRUGS-STANLEY TUCCI ("THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA") GUEST STARS-- Moretti (guest star Stanley Tucci) decides that Gates (John Stamos) has done an impressive job in the ICU and is now ready to return to the ER. Neela (Parminder Nagra) learns how to manage people when she is assigned to mentor Harold, a young genius intern (Steven Christopher Parker). With Hope (Busy Phillps) away, Morris is having a hard time resisting the ladies. Meanwhile, Abby (Maura Tierney) struggles to keep her life together with Kovac (Goran Visnjic) gone to Croatia. Mekhi Phifer and John Stamos also star.
YouTube - ER 14 x 05 promo

Have at it, guys.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Loyal Fan

Luka's 30 second appearance should be special. One down, three to go.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)
Luka's 30 second appearance should be special. One down, three to go.
It's a pity Gates couldn't have stayed in the ICU permanently.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Loyal Fan

I'd rather him fired and shoved off on one of the faceless hospitals they always mention.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I'd rather him fired and shoved off on one of the faceless hospitals they always mention.
That works too.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Look in Webster's Dictionary under geek and you will see the word Harold!!!lol What's up with all these weird interns? He is a genius I have to give him that, but he doesn't seem to be too good with people; then again, the poor nerd is only 19. I just love Neela's new attitude!! She's so confident, laid back, and kinda cool . Hmmm, I wonder who taught her that. Her faking being hard on Harold in front of Chrenshaw was funny. Morris was definitely his hilarious self. I think he was a bit delusional thinking all those girls wanted him though. Watching him trying to avoid temptation was classic. Abby is in denial about being an alcoholic. This should be very interesting. Was she going to an AA meeting or a bar? Loved to see Luka again. Was that his brother Niko in that scene? It really seems that he is dedicated and committed to helping his dad see through this. I still think he should at least make a short visit back to Chicago to see Abby and baby Joe. Well anyway, it was an average episode, nothing spectacular. Oh yeah, Gates was ok I guess. I'm still not all that interested in his character. The quick reform of Gates is just not realistic. It's too contrived and too in your face. It needs a slow step by step season long process to convince me he should be embraced. I still prefer him with kids.

Last edited by G-UNIT; 10-25-2007 at 08:18 PM
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
It's a pity Gates couldn't have stayed in the ICU permanently.
I think he fits better in the ICU as well. Gates needs to be with the children patients as they make him less annoying and brash. Based on the promo it looks like he will at least be back tending to a child patient. It's best when Neela, Pratt, Abby, Dubenko, Morris, etc tend to the other ER and surgical patients. I felt Julia was decent. Harold needs some work. As of now he seems like a gnat in regards to Neela. I'm hoping that changes. Per usual I adored my Neela. I was never a diehard Luka fan. But it was good to see him back for a bit. Though I like this episode it did seem like a filler episode or a place marker put out until the series picks back up in the next crop of episodes. I will say next week looks much better.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

I thought this was a pretty disappointing episode.
--In the preview last week, they were all dramatic about 'why won't anyone treat this patient?' but it seemed to me that they did treat him...
--An intern (Gates) over riding an Attending (Kaysen), I'm sorry, even if he ended up being right, that is not ok. Gates got lucky this time (since it's part of The Gates Redemption Plan), but he has an issue with authority. He always has. In the beginning, they were using that as a weakness--Morris sent him home because of it, but now it's like the writers are trying to get us to like that he won't listen to his superiors--in this case it probably saved this guy's life, but that doesn't make me overlook the fact that he doesn't listen...it's reckless behavior...
--Gates' attitude when Moretti was going to tell him that he was allowed back in the ER just seemed to show that he is NOT ready to be back in the ER!
--A chaplain saying it was a "hell of a prayer" seems a little odd. Is that just me?
--Colbern as Abby's sponsor--when did we first learn about that?!?
--Neela's attitude...while her sudden switch when Crenshaw is around is amusing, it doesn't seem like her...we'll see how that goes...
--Abby finding out Harold's age was a funny scene. But I'm 22 and I had to think about how old I was during the OJ Simpson trial!
--As G-Unit pointed out--where did Abby end up?? Bar or meeting?? And wasn't she starting to go through an L gate that had green 'open' signs? Doesn't that mean they were red ('closed') on her side?!
--Moretti's comment about his son not telling him things...relate to Luka and Abby maybe? Or is that too much of a stretch?
I'll probably add more later when I think of it, but this is my initial reaction!
--Next week's promo--did anyone catch who Sam is yelling out to at the end?

i made my own avi! which is why it's not so great...

Last edited by bigred08; 10-25-2007 at 08:42 PM Reason: adding more...as usual for me...
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Loyal Fan

That was not Niko in the scene with Luka. That was just a random construction worker named Mirko.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
In the preview last week, they were all dramatic about 'why won't anyone treat this patient?' but it seemed to me that they did treat him...
I never take those promos seriously. Most of the time they are extremely misleading and deceptive. It's called advertising.

Quote:
Neela's attitude...while her sudden switch when Crenshaw is around is amusing, it doesn't seem like her
Perhaps she's found nirvana with those new yoga exercises she's been practicing.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Neela and Dubenko sitting in a tree
drinking that wheat grass
oh so nasty...

Okay I don't know where I was going with that.

This episode was far from one of ER's best efforts. The main medical drama didn't seem that intense, Harold's hammy acting sucked any drama out of the pregnant girl's situation.

Morris was the comic relief but half of it felt flat. The very end with him coming out of the rig was funny though.

Moretti seems to be turning soft which is so not what the ER needs.

Harold? Go away and never come back.

Crenshaw shave your head stubble.

Neela? NEVER try to impersonate Lewis Gossett Jr. again.

Not feeling the chaplain at all. She seems completely insincere.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Neela? NEVER try to impersonate Lewis Gossett Jr. again.

What is it with Neela and the movie impersonations this season? lol. It was Al Pacino/Godfather in the last epi.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think I'm the only one who thought this epsidoe was hil-ar-i-ous, and the best so far this season. I hated the first three, last week's was good but this one, I was laughing the entire time! Morris with the twins and then the phone sex, ha ha. Neela was hilarious too. When I heard about Harold's character, I assumed he'd be the typical "High School Musical Reject", ya know, pretty boy, cute and charming, so it was a nice surprise to see this big dorky guy who blurts out stats like he's got tourett's. Oh and Sam too, with her "three inch" line, ha ha I'm still laughing.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

Morris is now my favorite character after Ray and Neela. Seriously he is brilliant. I felt do bad for Morris with all the hotties on him and the phone sex part was great as well. The new intern was a nice surprise. I thought he would be horrible but he was actually good. I felt so bad for neela in the opening scene.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Loyal Fan

That episode was ok, but not as great as I was expecting. I agree with BigRed... seems like they treated that guy to me. I was expecting him to have anthrax or something, the way the preview was last week.

Still not liking Gates... I agree with the general "stay in the ICU" feeling here... now that he's back in the ER, we have to see even more of his smug look.

And I'm not sure how I feel about the chaplain yet. She seems kind of stern and chilly, but we'll see.

I liked Neela and Harold's story, mostly. Not sure I like Harold so much, but he's a bit of a comic relief. His whispering of statistics over Coburn's shoulder got me laughing pretty good.

Abby -- I just feel sorry for her. She's suddenly been left alone with too much stress, and Luka seems not to be worried about how long he's been away. Still, I hope she won't be drinking too much, especially during the day. Having to take a nap means she over-did it, and probably will again. I liked that Coburn was her sponsor! I heart Coburn.

Morris's story I really just found disgusting. Normally he's great, and amusing, but he just seemed gross this week. At least he was trying not to be tempted, but the fact that he was turned on by every pretty woman he saw makes me feel like he's not mature enough for a relationship.

Looking forward to Sam chewing out Gates, by what I saw on the preview for next week.