Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion: 14.4 "Gravity" {October 18, 2007}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
GRAVITY
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND-County General is turned into a beauty parlor for the day when a gracious former patient decides to provide free beauty treatments. Abby (Maura Tierney) is distraught when baby Joe is brought in after taking a serious fall off the jungle gym. Dr. Gates (John Stamos) makes a baseball dream come true for a young boy with a terminal illness. Meanwhile, Dr. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) is trying to stick up for his brother but finds he is just making matters worse. Scott Grimes, Parminder Nagra, Linda Cardellini also star.
Promo: YouTube - ER 14.04 NBC Promo

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.

Last edited by DaveAbbyLuver; 10-15-2007 at 07:58 PM
Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Passionate Fan

Hi!

I REALLY hope that tonight's episode is GOOD!!!

I can't wait to read your comments tomorrow

-Edith
Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Loyal Fan

I liked this episode.

First of all let me say that I love the way Neela stood up against Katey. I'm glad Neela doesn't feel guilty about what happened to Ray and I'm also glad that Ray reassured her that it wasn't her fault. I think we are going to see a more confident and determined Neela this year. I'm happy that she and Ray are communicating.

It was also a good episode for Pratt. It was just as much his show as it was Abby's tonight. Pratt has always seemed to want to help the poor and underprivileged ever since he tried to give back to the community with the free health clinic last season. I think he handled the former football player's case with great consideration. I also liked the arc with him and Chazz. It is obvious he and Chazz are bonding and are reaching a better understanding.

Oh boy!!! Abby's hitting the bottle again. Please come home Luka? She is definitely getting stressed out and we understand that Abby is a alcoholic and it's no telling what can trigger her. I'm glad that everyone came to the aid of baby Joe. It really shows the camaraderie this year. I like Sam's wisdom and experience that she imparted to Abby. Is that Luka we'll be seeing next week?

I am touched by the ICU kid's story. However, I must say that the attempt to reform Gates is to forced and to soon. It's still going to take some time for me to be in his corner. Well, I can't wait until next week!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Neela telling Katey to STFU was probably the best scene in the episode. This is not the first time Katey's taken her person dislike of Neela out during an emergency situation instead of focusing on a patient.

Gates managed to annoy me any time he was on screen. His Mayday/Pussy Galore comment was just...ugh.

I liked seeing the Pratt/Chaz storyline and that Pratt is really putting aside his initial shock about Chaz's sexuality. Loved him telling Gates to mind his own business.

Poor Joe, two episodes in a row where all he does is cry.

I still want to know who gives a person recovering from surgery a big ol bottle of wine. Nice of Abby to drink it for Neela. Ugh.

Was anyone else expecting boogey man kid to choke on his M&Ms in that last scene?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Neela telling Katey to STFU was probably the best scene in the episode.
Bloody ditto! Katie was such an annoying shrew in the episode. I was thrilled Neela stood up for her yourself.

I also liked how everyone in the ER came together to aid Abby and baby Joe.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-UNIT (View Post)
Is that Luka we'll be seeing next week?

I am touched by the ICU kid's story. However, I must say that the attempt to reform Gates is to forced and to soon. It's still going to take some time for me to be in his corner. Well, I can't wait until next week!!!
Was that Luka?? Me and the other people I watching it with were all like 'what? who was that?'
And I agree about Gates. What he did was nice for that kid, but all he did was pull strings. Like he said, it's all about knowing the right people. It's like the only way he can get ahead is taking advantage of his connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)
Neela telling Katey to STFU was probably the best scene in the episode. This is not the first time Katey's taken her person dislike of Neela out during an emergency situation instead of focusing on a patient.
Agreed. On the subject of Katey--she's still wearing a short coat--does that mean she's a fourth year, and doing her sub-i in surgery?

Quote:
Gates managed to annoy me any time he was on screen. His Mayday/Pussy Galore comment was just...ugh.
The only thing I liked about that was the fact that we got an explanation. Is it just me, or is it a little degrading to give someone the nickname of a Bond girl? Sure she did good stuff in the movie, but Bond girls are notoriously ****ty. Maybe that's just me.

Quote:
I liked seeing the Pratt/Chaz storyline and that Pratt is really putting aside his initial shock about Chaz's sexuality. Loved him telling Gates to mind his own business.
That was good character development

Quote:
I still want to know who gives a person recovering from surgery a big ol bottle of wine.
In "Officer Down" I noticed that wine, and I wondered the same thing...

All in all, it was a good epi, and nice to know everyone still remembers/cares about Ray! Moretti's "conversation" with Pratt was quite funny
Sorry this was so long...can't wait for next week!

i made my own avi! which is why it's not so great...
Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Good episode, I thought. I knew the makeover thing was coming, but I was really amused by Abby's feathered Farah 'do. I had a total 80s flashback. The way Neela in particular reacted to it cracked me up. All the other stuff, like Dawn drying her nails at the desk and the breakroom turning into a full-service salon, was a tad overkill. There was a lot less trauma than usual, though, right?

For someone who is not on the show, Ray had his name mentioned quite a bit. It's good that 1) it's clear that he and Neela are communicating, 2) Gates asked Neela about Ray, so he's aware or assumes they are talking, 3) Neela didn't let Katey get away with her snide comments and let it be known she wouldn't let Katey put the blame on her for what happened to Ray and that Ray himself didn't blame her. Neela also kept her cool during that emergency despite Katey's comments, showing her maturation as a surgeon who can be taken seriously. Also thought Katey asking for things "by the end of the day" for Ray's care package was idiotic -- what can people contribute when they're already at work? Guaze? An ACE bandage? Maybe I'm being too harsh, but that didn't seem too well thought out.

Thought everyone had a fair share of the spotlight tonight. Loved the look on Pratt's face when Frank spelled out his name (F - R -A- N-K, haha!) for the NFL patient. Moretti's five-second walk on at the very end was weird, though; what was the point of that? Anything Pratt told him then could have been said during another episode. What does everyone think of the new desk clerk?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Was that Luka??
Yes, that was Luka they showed in the previews for next week's episode.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Master Fan

We had a tonado warning here so it cut to the weather, like 5 minutes later i realized it was on Channel 4 also. I missed about 5 minutes and must have missed when Gates asked about Ray, Can somebody quote that for me?

I loved Derrick Lee. Ray being mentioned and the baseball stuff was my favorite.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Addicted Fan

Someone has the clips when Neela talk about Ray?

Post here please!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Neela didn't let Katey get away with her snide comments and let it be known she wouldn't let Katey put the blame on her for what happened to Ray and that Ray himself didn't blame her. Neela also kept her cool during that emergency despite Katey's comments, showing her maturation as a surgeon who can be taken seriously.
I just love this new and improved Neela(loved the Al Pacino/Godfather impersonation). It is obvious that her near death experience has made her see things in a new light. The old Neela would have just stood there and took the abuse. I just hope it's still evident when she and Ray reunite. Katey sure looked like she had the life sucked out of her didn't she? By now she must realize that there is nothing she can do to shake Neela nor can she stop Ray from loving Neela. I wonder if this the last time we will see her.

Last edited by G-UNIT; 10-19-2007 at 08:42 AM
Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I just love this new and improved Neela(loved the Al Pacino/Godfather impersonation).
What impersonation? I must have missed that...

Quote:
I wonder if this the last time we will see her.
I know it's not the most reliable source, but on imdb Maura Tierney, Mekhi Phifer, Parminder Nagra etc all are cast for the next several episodes, but Malaya Drew is not...one can only hope... (I hope that made sense)

i made my own avi! which is why it's not so great...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I wonder if this the last time we will see her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred08 (View Post)
I know it's not the most reliable source, but on imdb Maura Tierney, Mekhi Phifer, Parminder Nagra etc all are cast for the next several episodes, but Malaya Drew is not...one can only hope... (I hope that made sense)
Well, that's good. On the one hand, the presence of Katey usually has something to do with Ray so if she's onscreen it's likely that he'll be mentioned which is a good thing. On the other hand, she annoys me.

I wonder also if this will be the last mention we get of Ray for a while (maybe even until the much-wished-for roomies reunion in the spring). With the Morris/Pratt 'locker' scene as well yesterday's episode, they've established for the viewers that Ray has not been forgotten, he and Neela are keeping in touch, and he doesn't blame her -- all the big questions that we were left with at the end of last season. So I get the feeling the rest of the season won't have much mention of him until he reappears, which I suspect TPTB will keep top secret until the last minute (fingers crossed that it happens). My sense is that TPTB put in all the Ray stuff early on so that when Neela has her "fun" this season, viewers won't hate her for it because we'll already know she hasn't cut ties with Ray.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
What impersonation? I must have missed that...
When she and Tony was talking. "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

Quote:
I wonder also if this will be the last mention we get of Ray for a while (maybe even until the much-wished-for roomies reunion in the spring).
Probably so. It is possible we might get another mention of him during the Christmas episode, but I suspect that from now and to the time he makes an appearance, mentions of him will be few and far between. I do suspect things will begin to get more interesting during February sweeps.

Last edited by G-UNIT; 10-19-2007 at 11:18 AM
Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Loyal Fan

That was a fantastic episode! Just great. I loved every element... except for Gates and his McNasty McSmooching of sick kid's mom, of course... ewww, how sleazy. I was praying we wouldn't hear him say "have mercy" when he was done with her.

I loved how well Neela played that scene against Katey! Katey is a student, she knows absolutely nothing about advanced techniques and pathophysiology when it comes to a surgical procedure like that. Neela knew what she was doing, and Katey just kept whining and snarking at her like a 12-year-old brat! She was willing to risk that patient's life in order to serve her petty, childish feelings. I just loved watching Neela put her right back in her place! Did you see the look on Katey's face when Neela said that Ray didn't even blame her? Shock and horror -- probably not only because she couldn't believe it, but from jealousy that the two of them are keeping in touch.

Loved Morris, loved Pratt, loved Neela's reaction to Abby's makeover! Liked the new desk clerk, he's fun. Loved the story with Abby and the baby... why the heck didn't Luka call her back all day?!!! I can see why she was so frustrated (and if that was me, man, that baby-sitter would be so up the creek without a paddle).

Great episode, again! This is shaping up to be a really wonderful season... I just wish more people would tune in to appreciate it!