Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion 14.18 "Tandem Repeats" {May 8, 2008}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
TANDEM REPEATS
LIFE ISN'T FAIR-AIDA TUTURRO ("The Sopranos") GUEST STARS-- Morris (Scott Grimes) is de briefed by the hospital psychologist after his traumatic run in with the jewelry thieves. Neela (Parminder Nagra) is frustrated when Sheryl (guest star Aida Tuturro) must go in for a fourth surgery to fix the infection. Abby (Maura Tierney) struggles to make a decision after she is offered a new job. Mekhi Phifer, Linda Cardellini, and John Stamos also star.

Promo for the 2 remaining episodes can be found here: ER: Find ER Video – NBC Official Site

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.

Last edited by DaveAbbyLuver; 05-08-2008 at 08:55 AM
Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 AM
New Fan

ER: Find ER Video – NBC Official Site

There is a promo for the two remaining episodes.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Supreme Fan

Thanks for that.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Does anybody mind telling me what happened during the episode? We have very severe storms in the area where I live so the station that shows ER has shown nothing but weather since 7:00 pm my time. I am planning on downloading the torrent, I just wanted to know what had happened and if the show was any good.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Loyal Fan

The Neela/Dubenko scenes held my interest. They have a nice dynamic going on where you can see both sides of the argument and both are right and both are wrong. That moral shades of gray thing they have to adjust to when working in an overcrowded/understaffed facility.

Nice continuity with Morris.

Sam and Gates? Yargh.

Brenner? Double Yargh.

Abby? I enjoy her cat lady patient.

Frank...it didn't look like sex to me either, buddy.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Did anyone realize that it's been a year since Ray's accident?

Anyway, this episode didn't do much for me. I found it to be pretty average at best. I would have to say that it was the worst post strike episode so far. I find Neela's story touching, however, I really wish we had gotten to see more of her and Sheryl's interaction. I would have liked to hear the conversations they had about their personal lives and watch their relationship grow. It would have made that storyline more potent emotionally.

Brenner is a sick dog that adds absolutely nothing to the cast or the show.

I'm getting tired of Sam and Gates using the hospital as a motel. Is there nothing more of substance to give these two?

Abby's patient's story was obviously a parallel to what's going on in her personal life with Luka. I don't really think the story really added any new dimensions or was even that intriguing in general for that matter. The interactions with the parents and the girl/boy felt flat to me. There was no emotional impact.

Pratt and Betina's short scene was cute. I like the fact that Pratt is in love.

I wish we could have seen more of Morris and really get into his head after what he experienced. I think TPTB really missed an opportunity with that and I was dissapointed.

Anyway, next week's finale looks great. Was that Luka punching out Moretti?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I liked the Neela/Dubenko exchanges too re the realities of a job like theirs. Neela has a crying streak going on -- it's like the third straight episode. Hope all the bawling leads to something significant.

Felt they coud have done more with Morris though -- I wasn't really convinced that something had convinced him that maybe he should give counseling a second shot.

LOL re DJ's remark about the 'cat lady patient' -- seriously, her yellow eyes were freaking me out. I did like her mom though -- the accent (what was that? Boston?) and the cirrhosis revelation.

Gates and Sam...please. How they'll ever be taken seriously by their colleagues after this 'scandal,' I don't know.

Hope the finale is as promising as it looks.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Loyal Fan

I thought that was a really good episode, actually.

I agree that it didn't feel like there was much of a reason for Morris to head back to the counselor. I think it'll be something that blows over, rather than having a long-lasting effect.

I also wanted to roll my eyes at yet another "Super-Abby" episode, but that didn't bother me TOO much. She was just saving the day and rearranging people's moral radar left and right, as usual, which wouldn't irk me except when she was talking to Lois/Lonnie's father and said something that seemed incredibly hypocritical to what she had done, more or less, to her own marriage. Maybe then I rolled my eyes. A little.

The Gates and Sam thing was good for comic relief.

Brenner, on the other hand, has made Gates look like a saint. They're doing a good job at making him very, very slimy. I didn't think Laverne's reaction to him was realistic, though. She seemed way too cool about the whole thing.

I loved all of Neela and Dubenko's storyline. They are both magnificent actors and it's a great situation to put them in. Even though their OR dynamic is nothing like the ones we've seen in the past (between Carter and Benton, Romano and Benton, etc), it is it's own unique, awesome sort of dynamic that is just riveting. I love the teacher/mentor friendship that they have and how the reality of the job can make them snap at each other, it's incredibly realistic (just don't go pursuing a romance please, writers. I beg you).

I believed Neela's tears this week, and her connection to Sheryl seemed more appropriate (that first time it was just bizarre). Sheryl is a great character, too.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Loyal Fan

Is anyone frustrated that we haven't really gotten to the core of Neela's current breakdown? I mean I like the fact that she's getting more screen time and that her storylines have gotten more interesting, but I feel there is something missing. I like the fact that Neela is showing all this emotion, but what is the root cause of it? There is no substance behind it. We need to get into Neela's head. This is my only gripe with her storylne with Sheryl, which was otherwise a very effective storyline. We should have seen some deeper conversation, especially coming from Neela's end.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Master Fan

You know Neela has had a tough year. Seriously the next episodes don't get any better for her either. I hope next season it end with happiness for her. Like her getting together with Ray. I'm biased. Sue me.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady (View Post)
You know Neela has had a tough year.
Yeah but what good is it if she doesn't talk about it? We all know she's had her personal problems, I just wish we could get a more in depth look into it. It just seems so internalized to me. In other words, we're seeing the emotion every week, but we are not getting a feel of what is at the root of it. It's just like it sprung out of no where suddenly after her having so much "fun" this season.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyDuster (View Post)
I didn't think Laverne's reaction to him was realistic, though. She seemed way too cool about the whole thing.
Laverne totally reminds me of Thelma from Good Times (remember Jimmy Walker and Kid Dyn-O-Mite? i'm dating myself, aren't I?? i've only seen reruns, i swear! ). She's got a 1970s vibe to her. And Brenner is so completely heartless - I mean, it's one thing to sleep with her and then ignore her, but then to rudely insult her technique, well, that's just unprofessional!

Quote:
In other words, we're seeing the emotion every week, but we are not getting a feel of what is at the root of it. It's just like it sprung out of no where suddenly after her having so much "fun" this season.
Yup. I think the strike totally left this disjointed because maybe they were going to have Ray back this season but now they've had to reassess and create a scenario where Neela breaks down, and it all makes no sense. Neela has not addressed the Ray situation, and this is upsetting to a lot of Reela fans. Yeah, she cries a lot now, but what does that really mean? I've always felt she realized Ray was the one at the end of last season; it doesn't make sense that she's in denial again this season. As a Roomie fan, I feel manipulated, toyed with, lol ... but i keep watching and hoping, and the writers know it.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Master Fan

From Marc Berman:
Quote:
Third was NBC’s veteran ER (Viewers: 7.61 million; A18-49: 2.9/ 8), which is finally calling it quits next season. From a ratings standpoint, ER should have ended three or four years ago.
As much as I hate Marc and his constant bashing of Scrubs I'm afraid I have to agree with him that ER should have ended years ago.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

I finally got to watch last night's episode and I have to say I agree with everybody in regards to Brenner. He is an ass. If I was Laverne, I would have reported him, although I did like how Abby showed him up when they were treating Lois. I wish he would disappear.

I liked the scenes between Neela and Dubenko and how they were at conflict over what should have been done for Sheryl.

It was an ok episode, not one of the best or one of the worst I have seen.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Supreme Fan

Unsticking this to make room for the new thread. Feel free to continue discussing.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.