Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion: 14.17 "Under Pressure" {May 1, 2008}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
UNDER PRESSURE
CAN YOU FEEL THE PRESSURE?-JOSH STEWART ("DIRT") GUEST STARS--Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) decides to fight for his relationship with Bettina (Gina Ravera) despite her reluctance. Neela (Parminder Nagra) treats a young injured couple (guest star Josh Stewart) but quickly finds out about their criminal status. Abby (Maura Tierney) is scared her relationship with Kovac (Goran Visnjic) is over when he shows signs of giving up. John Stamos, Linda Cardellini, and Scott Grimes also star.
YouTube - ER - Under Pressure Trailer

Take it away, y'all.

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Total Fan

Oooh looks good. Love Morris when he gets the serious episodes as it doesn't come around very often. Loved him and Sam with that split personality guy in season 13 jigsaw. Looking forward to seeing this.

FI - 20/06/2014 the date I met Jared, Lana, Sean, Bex, Robbie and Emilie! Best weekend ever.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Let me just get this out of the way: I just love Pratt!!!! His character really moved me tonight. It took a lot of guts for someone with his history to express his feelings like that. His story with Betina has really touched me. Out of all the ER characters I find his to have more growth and maturity. Even though Pratina's story was just a small part of the episode, it effected me much more than the other storylines.

I wish I could say the same for Sony. A power couple they are not!!! Cute, but not a couple I look forward to watching every week.
The diamond thieves story was good and intriguing. I haven't quite figured out yet how it related to the main characters in general but I'm sure there were some connections that were obvious as well as subtle.

It sure was a joy to see Morris in serious mode for a change.

I'm glad we're seeing a lot more of Neela. The cases she has been involved in recently have been really life changing. I hope that's a positive sign for what direction her character goes in. Let's just hope one of those directions lead to a certain southern city in Louisiana.

Next week's episode looks emotional. I can't wait.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

The scene where Pratt told Betina that he was in love with her got to me in so many ways. It has been a long time since an episode of ER made me cry and that scene did it.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

Someone please tell me why Gates had to play hero instead of coolly walking out of that trauma room and alerting police to the situation.

And that is one lovelorn jewel thief. The housing bust really does suck. (Just kidding; the actor was pretty good in that final scene. And the patient looked like Hilary Swank, didn't she?)

Poor Morris. He held it together pretty well. Pratt, sweet and touching. But all that green in his shirt and the bouquet and foliage was a tad distracting. Anyway, the whole scene with Betina was...well, bittersweet.

That Parminder can really cry on cue, huh?!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Loyal Fan

I would really love Neela to have that moment with Ray that Pratt had with Betina! Just letting all her feelings out like there was no tomorrow and finally admitting to Ray that she is in love with him. Now that would be the perfect roomie moment.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-UNIT (View Post)
I would really love Neela to have that moment with Ray that Pratt had with Betina!
Yeah, hopefully it won't have to involve losing a colon or any more legs or other body parts. (Sorry, I can't help thinking of how Ray and Neela did have a hospital bedside "I fell in love with you" moment, but that didn't seem to go as well as this one. Sigh.)
Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

I cried during all of pratts scenes and I cried during the last scene when the dude who held the people hostage said goodbyes to his girl. That scene should not have done that because they were criminals but ah well. Mekhi killed it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

From Marc Berman:
Quote:
Third in the hour was NBC’s veteran ER at 7.74 million viewers and a 3.0/ 8 among adults 18-49. Remember when ER used to beat the competition combined?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

wow it has been a VERY long time since i posted on FF lol.

anyway - in reply to marc berman's comment - i know everyone blames the decline of ratings on the quality of writing decreasing...and part of me does think that when i watch an old episode...but i think the problem is that the writers use the same format over and over again and fans cant really be bothered to stick around to watch the same thing again and again. i swear we get one new arrogant (but conventionally hot), doug ross-type character every season lol.

but enough of that - loved this weeks episode. didn't like the abrupt ending (but i guess the whole point of a good tv show is to leave me wanting more ). parminder and scott were great as always. it was quite interesting to see neela all calm when he got out the gun out and in contrast dawns freeking out next to her.

anyone else think what gates did when he was in the trauma room was really stupid? and im saying this as a completely unbiased person now (i no longer blame him for ray having his legs amputated lol). i mean surely the sensible thing to do when you see a guy with a gun would be to evacuate the young patient that you're supposed to be treating, then call professionals?

this is a long post - talk about procrastination !
Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Supreme Fan

Thanks for the ratings info. About the same as last week. At least it wasn't another sharp drop. Small victories, I guess.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Loyal Fan

You know, if I didn't read the casting sides I would have thought the nanny that came to pick up Joe was Luka's girlfriend. They didn't play that very well or clearly at all.

Morris was a pleasure to watch for a change.

Bettina looked believably miserable.

Pratt's really stuck on her, isn't he? His Gucci comment made me laugh.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:58 AM
New Fan

Wow this may have been the best episode this season. Morris was great. They really should give his character more stories...and also a SERIOUS relationship. No offense for the people who liked Hope but I never got their relationship at all. It felt like the 'just because' boyfriend/girlfriend relationships in high school if you get what I mean.....It stopped abruptly which was a good thing...If they talked and took care of everything it wouldn't have made that big an impact. Even criminals are people and I felt so sorry for that guy. You could see he didn't want to hurt anyone. He had this childlike innocence to him. I like Gates and it's totally in his character to act impulsively so I didn't think that was weird...what was weird was using a tray as a weapon of choice..especially for a guy.

Anyway hopefully the last 2 episodes will be just as great.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Supreme Fan

Gates using a tray as a weapon? The guy who beat the pulp out of those two guys in "Graduation Day" (not to mention his own father) with his bare hands? Yeah, that makes sense. Only not.

And I adore Josh Stewart. He was great on Third Watch and Criminal Minds.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshortklutz (View Post)
The scene where Pratt told Betina that he was in love with her got to me in so many ways. It has been a long time since an episode of ER made me cry and that scene did it.
Me too. Of course, my feelings toward Pratt are running high lately. I definitely got choked up when he said he loved her -- words we've never heard from those lips before. I only wish I could find Betina more likable. Her character is so cold and selfish I'm not sure I can be totally satisfied by the whole thing, but it was still quite a moment for Pratt.

Neela's feelings are apparently running high lately, too. She cried last week, she cried this week (a little more understandably, at least), and she looks to be crying again next week. She's seriously about to crack (and if I don't get some sort of clue that she's unhappy because she's missing Ray, I'm going to be p'd. ) I think the tear sliding down her cheek when she had the gun to the back of her neck was one of the most realistic things I've ever seen on the show. It really added something to the episode.

Morris -- if there was an emoticon for "bow down", I'd be using it right now for Scott Grimes. He is so fabulous. I've been waiting for the "Morris" episode this season, and I finally got it. He just blows it away when they put him in the spotlight. I certainly hope, as the cast dwindles down next season, they put Morris to good use instead of only giving him one or two chances to shine.

Gates and Sam -- I could take it or leave it. It wasn't particularly touching or impressive this week. I admire that Gates tried to knock out the gunman, but for god's sake, both my husband and I were waving at the screen in disgust that he didn't actually GET THE GUN after he went to the trouble of pissing the guy off so much.

Luka and Abby -- I actually did feel a pang of pity for Abby when Luka sent the HAWT babysitter to pick up her son. That had to sting. I hope things get better for them, fast.

Did I miss anything? At least Neela and Abby's relationship seems to be back to normal. I look forward to next week.