Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion: 14.15 "...As the Day She Was Born" {April 17, 2008}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
...AS THE DAY SHE WAS BORN
PULLING AN ALL-NIGHTER IN THE ER- AIDA TUTURRO ("The Sopranos") GUEST STARS-- Neela (Parminder Nagra) has a strange daydream during work after she pulls an all-night shift. Sarah’s (guest star Chloe Greenfield) grandfather (guest star Bill Bolender) is rushed to the ER after collapsing during a game of air hockey. Gates (John Stamos) tries to let Sam (Linda Cardellini) know that he is serious by sending her flowers. Neela makes a quick decision about a patient with torn aorta (guest star Aida Tuturro). Mekhi Phifer and Scott Grimes also star.
Have at it, folks.

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm starting to loose faith in ER. It's not what it used to be (or maybe I'm just a fan of the original docs and nurses).

Really hope this episode isn't a let down like last weeks.
Emma♥Neal
Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

What a copout! That scene between Neela and Dubenko would have been a perfect opportunity to mention what had happened to Ray or Michael and all we got was a whining pity party about missing out on babies and dating. The phone ringing at the end would have been a perfect opportunity to have Ray call her and wish her a happy birthday.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Loyal Fan

I liked this episode much more than last week's. It had much better pacing and the storylines seemed to revolve around everyone and I liked that. The show works best as an ensemble instead of focusing on only 2 or 3 characters.

Neela: It was so good to hear Neela mention Ray. Not!!! Well, at least she made her presence felt this episode. And Awww!! It was her birthday. She's just turn 31. Too bad she's not enjoying life and she is so lonely. I'm worried that she is actively wanting to go out on dates though. It doesn't bode well for Ray does it? But still though, I'm having trouble connecting with her this season. Something's off!!!

Pratt: I'm liking him more and more each episode. I can see him becoming chief of the ER. I like how he took his time to talk and solve each problem he encountered(Morris and Frank, the kid who and his dad who fell down). I just hope he can work it out with Betina. That will be interesting to watch.

Gates: He is semi-interesting when paired with Sarah. I like how they connected Sarah and Neela's story. Was Gates nervous because that was the room where Meg died?

Morris: Still up to his idiocy!

Harold: I hope that's the last we see of him.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

this episode really dissapointed me.

nothing detrimental happend to the roomies but the roomies are stuck in nuetral. tptb ******* dissapoint me with a lot of the crap in this episode.

I guess if the worst part of the episode was gates remembering neelas birthday than I guess we Roomies got off decent. That ticks me off. I think that Dubenko told Gates. You can't prove me wrong.

I did like how she hasnt been having sex and she let gates have it (even though neela went back on it but even though neela was tired you know what she originally said is how she felt truthfully about the scum gates) The Harold stuff was corny as heck. I'l blame neelas OOCness on the fact she was tired.

No Ray.

TPTB just like breaking our roomie hearts. Hopefully it's just so it can be that much more triumphent at the end of the day. I'm not holding my breath. I'm not thinking this because of recent spoilers either. Just want to make that clear. I stick by what i said in the spoiler thread about the one thing. TPTB just seem so ignorant that it's hard to imagine them putting the roomies together. It was like TPTB just put gates remembering neelas birthday to stomp on us. no no no Dubenko told gates.

Sorry for this Roomie rant.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-UNIT (View Post)
I'm worried that she is actively wanting to go out on dates though. It doesn't bode well for Ray does it?
I looked at that the other way even though I see where you are getting at. She turned down a date in order to sleep. I'm mad Ray did not get mentioned. I'm glad neela hasnt been having sex and is turning down dates. I don't like gates. I hate him.

This episode was trash. I breathed a sigh of relief that she did not kiss Dubenko when she was vulnerable. Heck I was worried she was going to make out with Harold, Gates, or Dubenko. I'm glad that did not happen.

Last edited by DaveAbbyLuver; 04-17-2008 at 09:25 PM
Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I'm glad neela hasnt been having sex and is turning down dates.
The problem that I had with Neela's speech to Dubenko is that she clearly is trying to meet someone new and begin dating.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think I am getting to the point of no longer watching ER. It is obvious John Wells doesn't give a crap about his show's fans. I just get the feeling they are setting up for a new love interest for Neela that isn't Ray and when they do, I am done with ER.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
The problem that I had with Neela's speech to Dubenko is that she clearly is trying to meet someone new and begin dating.

I try not to look that deep into it. It's obvious the writers are making it seem like Ray want's nothing to do with her. Even though that would be way OOC that hasnt stopped ER in the past. I give up reading into the subtext of something like the above. I find it impossible with ER. I think Ash has said it a few times "As long as they are together in the end". ER is not like the disney channel shows I watch where almost everything works out perfectly. In ER I would be niave to think both Ray and Neela are virgins and will be each others first time. I can't let the fact this is not the case upset me. It would not be healthy for me.

Thats why I am "As long as they are together in the end" crowd in this show. Because if i got upset over the above that you stated I would start crying. I want Ray and Neela to only look at each other. believe that.

EDIT:

I have to say I did love the ending between Frank and Morris. Sam may have a point.

Also dshortklutz I would do the same but another love interest would not be till season 15 at some point. I'm hoping it's Ray though.
If it's not i'm out. Honestly I don't think they will put Neela with anybody but Ray now but that does not mean tptb will put her with Ray because they might just not put her with anybody. They will keep her lonely.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Loyal Fan

By the way, I could have done without the naked dream sequence in the beginning. I know it was suppose to have some kind of profound meaning but it just struck me as a way to get Parminder naked.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
By the way, I could have done without the naked dream sequence in the beginning. I know it was suppose to have some kind of profound meaning but it just struck me as a way to get Parminder naked.
Was it really parminder though? If I recall I thought it could quite possibly be a double.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Actually, I think you're off a little. I don't think Neela wants to meet anyone and start dating. I think she just wants to live at work and be a surgeon. If she happens to have a fling or two here and there -- well, that's what someone as busy as she is might do out of human necessity (and if sleep is more important than one of those dates, they're easily cancelled, apparently). I didn't get the impression that she was at all interested in a companion, she was simply noting the fact that she doesn't have time for one.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyDuster (View Post)
Actually, I think you're off a little. I don't think Neela wants to meet anyone and start dating. I think she just wants to live at work and be a surgeon. If she happens to have a fling or two here and there -- well, that's what someone as busy as she is might do out of human necessity (and if sleep is more important than one of those dates, they're easily cancelled, apparently). I didn't get the impression that she was at all interested in a companion, she was simply noting the fact that she doesn't have time for one.
Unfortunately, I don't agree. I got the impression that she wants her life to be much more than simply being reduced to a surgeon and living at work. I felt that her talk with Dubenko was clearly meant to show she wants something much more meaningful than that. And I think through her complaining about her life being all about work, she did convey a desire to get out there and meet new people and start dating.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Seriously, when Neela's cell phone rang at the very end, my heart skipped a beat, coz I was really really hoping that it would be Ray who logically would remember her birthday (and a great way to end the epi). I just wanted one little reference, one little hint that Ray is on her mind, but no.

A far as the Roomies are concerned, I reluctantly have to say that it doesn't seem Neela was ever really in love with Ray. Her breakdown had nothing to do with him or the way things were left or what might have been. She's having a generalized early midlife crisis because her old roommate has 3 kids and she doesn't even have time to have sex. She would've been out on dates had not the need for sleep been stronger. So that pretty much tells us where her mind is. She's not stuck in some depressed denial over Ray.

Ironically, she accused Gates of not thinking of anyone but himself. And I have to ask, when did we ever see her think of Ray and his situation once this season?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't agree. I got the impression that she wants her life to be much more than simply being reduced to a surgeon and living at work. I felt that her talk with Dubenko was clearly meant to show she wants something much more meaningful than that. And I think through her complaining about her life being all about work, she did convey a desire to get out there and meet new people and start dating.
Sorry, I don't think I conveyed my sarcasm well in my last post.

I meant it as a rant that Neela seems not to care about anything at all, much less love. If she wants dates, it's because she's been deprived of sex from working too much, nothing more. She's just upset because her friends have a life. She doesn't give a rat-poo about Ray or even Michael, for that matter - just about finding time to have a little mindless fun between long shifts at work. At least, that's how the writers made it sound. Because she sure didn't sound like she was grieving about the past.

Way to go, writers. You had 1000 opportunities in a single episode to delve into Neela's emotions and you missed every single last one of them.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think the writers have dropped the ball with Neela and turned her into a selfish and whining brat. They had the perfect opportunity during 300 patients when Abby mentioned Ray during their argument and her reaction to what was said. Instead we got a stupid hockey game and a whining pity party. I think the writers of ER have offically lost their minds.