Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Supreme Fan

Episode Discussion: 14.11 "Status Quo" {January 3, 2008}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
ER
STATUS QUO
A FACE FROM THE PAST MAKES AN APPEARANCE IN THE ER- GLORIA REUBEN ("The Agency") RETURNS AS JEANIE BOULET AND KARI MATCHETT ("24") GUEST STARS-- When a young woman comes in with a badly hurt ankle, Sam (Linda Cardellini) is shocked when she finds out how much they have in common. Jeanie Boulet (guest star Gloria Reuben) rushes into the ER after her son Carlos takes a fall during gym class. Meanwhile, Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) finds himself wanting to quit his job when the higher-ups at the hospital don't take him seriously. Parminder Nagra, Scott Grimes and John Stamos also star.
YouTube - ER 14.11 NBC Promo

Have it, people.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.

Last edited by DaveAbbyLuver; 01-02-2008 at 03:15 PM
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Loyal Fan

I was so happy to see Jeanie again. I thought that her return and storyline was very convincing and moving. I was sorry to hear about her and Reggie being seperated. I can't believe Al died. Her storyline with her HIV positive son was very touching. I believe we will be seeing her again. I think her story may tie in with Carter and his new clinic.

This was definitely Pratt's episode. I was glad to see him get the spotlight for a change. I think he is one of the more stronger characters on the show. This episode really showed his growth and maturity as a doctor. I like the aggressiveness and care he handled Jeanie and her son's case with. I think he may have rushed too much into wanting that ER Chief position too fast though. But I do think he came to his senses. Anspauh is right about him not being ready yet. He hasn't even finished his second year of being an attending yet. However, I do find his confidence and his desire to be a leader admirable.

The soldier rape story didn't move me as much as I thought it would. Maybe we didn't see it enough and I thought the resolution was just too matter of fact. At least we got to see Sam step up and talk about what Steve did to her and how it affected her. I do think she needs to ease up on this playing the field experiment though especially when she's flirting with Gates as well. It's bordering on trashy.

I have mixed feelings about Neela and an ortho rotation. On one hand, it may be a connection with Ray somehow(prosthetics are a major part of orthopedics). On the other hand, it maybe a chance for her to hook up with that ortho surgeon Grossman(I did detect a little flirtation on his part and a subtle curiosity on Neela's). Time will tell. By the way, I love Neela cousin Jazz. I think she's fun and I'm interested in how her storyline will tie in with Neela's. It should be hilarious to watch Morris and Harold fight over her.

Anyway, I thought this was a good episode. You better enjoy it while it lasts guys. There are only two more episodes left. We may never see ER again. You can thank the strike for that.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Supreme Fan

Prosthetics can be a major part of Orthopedics, but they're not associated with the surgical side of things, usually. Still, maybe there's a connection that will reveal itself in there somewhere. Even if she just talks to someone about prosthetics while she's working in the department and gets some insight into the struggles that lie ahead for him, or whatever. Who knows with these writers, what they're planning.

Pratt has the ability to be a good leader, but he's learned from the school of hard knocks and knocked heads. He's not ready to be Chief with not even 2 years as an attending under his belt. But he has the potential to be a good one someday, if he's willing to remain open to learning.

Sam on the subject of her rape...well it's about time and only a season and a half overdue. Would've been a much more powerful storyline if they'd done this back in the beginning of Season 13. Now, it just feels like they're trying too hard. And they are. And all those men out there on that field and she chooses to play with Gates? Girl just can't pick 'em, can she?

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-UNIT (View Post)
I was so happy to see Jeanie again. I thought that her return and storyline was very convincing and moving. I was sorry to hear about her and Reggie being seperated. I can't believe Al died. Her storyline with her HIV positive son was very touching. I believe we will be seeing her again. I think her story may tie in with Carter and his new clinic.

This was definitely Pratt's episode. I was glad to see him get the spotlight for a change. I think he is one of the more stronger characters on the show. This episode really showed his growth and maturity as a doctor. I like the aggressiveness and care he handled Jeanie and her son's case with. I think he may have rushed too much into wanting that ER Chief position too fast though. But I do think he came to his senses. Anspauh is right about him not being ready yet. He hasn't even finished his second year of being an attending yet. However, I do find his confidence and his desire to be a leader admirable.

The soldier rape story didn't move me as much as I thought it would. Maybe we didn't see it enough and I thought the resolution was just too matter of fact. At least we got to see Sam step up and talk about what Steve did to her and how it affected her. I do think she needs to ease up on this playing the field experiment though especially when she's flirting with Gates as well. It's bordering on trashy.

I have mixed feelings about Neela and an ortho rotation. On one hand, it may be a connection with Ray somehow(prosthetics are a major part of orthopedics). On the other hand, it maybe a chance for her to hook up with that ortho surgeon Grossman(I did detect a little flirtation on his part and a subtle curiosity on Neela's). Time will tell. By the way, I love Neela cousin Jazz. I think she's fun and I'm interested in how her storyline will tie in with Neela's. It should be hilarious to watch Morris and Harold fight over her.

Anyway, I thought this was a good episode. You better enjoy it while it lasts guys. There are only two more episodes left. We may never see ER again. You can thank the strike for that.
Seriously i'm loving Harold more and more. I love Jazz as well. I loved Harolds reaction when Neela said "Sex Crazed Maniac".

I really don't see them putting Neela with Grossman. If anything I thought there was more evidence last season and even early this season that they would pair her with Dubenko more than Grossman. Obviously the last few episodes ended one of those possibilities.

I hated Gates in this episode. He has no right to get on Sam about Juggling two men. Yes I believe it's wrong but who is Gates to talk? What would he call what he was doing with Neela and the girl who Overdose.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Still, maybe there's a connection that will reveal itself in there somewhere. Even if she just talks to someone about prosthetics while she's working in the department and gets some insight into the struggles that lie ahead for him, or whatever.
That's what I was thinking. I mean why else stick her in ortho for an elective? There must be some method to TPTB's madness right?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Addicted Fan

So is this just a small story line or is Jeanie actually back cause if she is I'm friggen thrilled I love Gloria Reuben!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I mean why else stick her in ortho for an elective? There must be some method to TPTB's madness right?
Sadly, all I've smelled in Neela's future with Grossman is a relationship. I've smelled it since the first spoilers of them working together came out, and now the smell is setting off a flashing red beacon in my head.

So bright... ... it's sooooo... soooooooooo bright....
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
We can hope.

And Gates complaining about Sam juggling two men? Pot, kettle, so black you can't see your hand in front of your face. Good god. Just get him off the show. Like, yesterday. I can almost guarantee ratings would rise. He sunk the show, so if he goes (death by asphyxiation - he sucks all the air out of a room), the people who quit watching might come back.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyDuster (View Post)
Sadly, all I've smelled in Neela's future with Grossman is a relationship. I've smelled it since the first spoilers of them working together came out, and now the smell is setting off a flashing red beacon in my head.

Galaxy, I don't see a romance happening because I really don't think Neela is interested in Grossman like that. The reaction if TPTB tried it would make last season's reaction to Gates and Neela look mild in comparison. I don't think a romance will happen but if I am wrong, I think I will be done with ER.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

Noo, Galaxy, nooo! I can see Grossman trying to pursue her, but I agree with dshortklutz -- I don't see Neela reciprocating. At least I hope to high heaven she doesn't because that would be just...wrong. Roomie fans would resent her for giving up on Ray. At this point, even if Ray wrote to her and said he was no longer interested, I think Roomie fans expect her to reach out to him. If Neela just went off into the sunset with Ortho Guy, there would be a big backlash, don't you think? But then again, if this is the last year, then TPTB probably don't care about preserving her rep with fans. Please let this ortho rotation have something to do with Ray...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

Ha! Ha! Galaxy, you're a riot!! Just when roomie fans start to gain some newfound hope and confidence, you bring us back down to earth with your skepticism.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Passionate Fan

I haven't seen the epi yet and I'm so confused about Neela and an ortho rotation. I want to believe there is a connection with Ray!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshortklutz
I don't think a romance will happen but if I am wrong, I think I will be done with ER.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Orthopedic surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for those of you wondering about Ortho surgeons as opposed to prosthetics in the sense that Ray will need, this is a good, simple, overview of what Grossman does. The prosthetics they deal with are artificial ball joints and the like, repairing damage surgically.

Someone in Ortho would have likely done Ray's amputations if not a trauma surgeon. Then he'd have time to heal and if prosthetic legs are what he wants, be fitted and deal with a physical therapist to learn how to walk on them. The Grossman/Neela connection to Ray via his injuries is tenuous at best.

I think they chose Ortho because it is drastically different by stereotype than a trauma surgeon. They're still having Neela yuck it up characterwise and Ortho are clowns of sorts. She's the ever serious type and they are going to make her have fun if she wants to or not.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

DJ - I completely agree! I personally cant see any chemistry at all between CE and PN - it was far pushed with JS and we all know how that went down, the supposed sizzling romance between gates and neela was dropped like it didnt exist..I'm thinking like DJ, that ortho is more comic relief and a chance to let neela have her 'fun'..

As far as the actress who plays Jazz goes, I had an inkling it would be her - I recently read an interview of hers, where she talks about moving to the states and really admiring PN - lol I put the two 2gta and figured she was probably linked to ER...I remember she used to star in a daily aftrenoon soap over here in the UK...
Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh I have no doubt that Neela's ortho rotation is part of TPTB's quest for Neela to have fun this season. However, I still have hopes that it will have something indirectly to do with Ray. Only time will tell.